BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a newly owner of a 2006 X5 and so far I love it but I need to understand the ABCs of this car so please help me out:

1. I can't find the next service part. As a former owner of Mercedes once you done the service it would show you the next service will be in how many KMS on the car monitor but can't find that on BMW. Is it there and I don't know how to find it or it's not there and have to keep records manually?

2. The car has the Telephone button on the dashboard and the loudspeaker plus R/T buttons on the steering wheel but I can't connect the car with the phone via Bluetooth. Once in a while the phone finds a car kit or handsfree via Bluetooth but the connection has been unsuccessful. Is there a way to know if the car has Bluetooth connectivity and if it doesn't what's the use of these buttons?

Would appreciate your help guys to make my new bimmer life easier and more enjoyable.

·
Registered
12,366 Posts
In the future...help us help you better and tell us or create a signature that tells us what model you have.

There are 3 ways to sort of achieve what you asked. The SI display on your cluster, TEST 3 if you've UNLOCKED your OBC/cluster, and at the end of the instrument cluster SI display reset procedure.

There is the regular way to determine when the next service interval is which is listed in the owners manual...and that's by looking at the GREEN LEDs in the service interval display. Each green light represents 20% of the total amount of fuel that needs to be consumed before the next interval. BMW uses fuel consumption...not mileage to determine when the next service occurs (this is called SIA III).

And if you've unlocked your cluster...the first screen of TEST 3 gives the km driven since the last SI reset.

But in this case we needed to know which instrument cluster you have...high or low if you want to know actual mileage (actually fuel consumption). The high cluster has the 20 digit alpha numeric display where priority warnings from the check control system appear in text. The low/bases cluster has the GRAPHIC display where there's an icon of the vehicle with 4 doors...and a little light comes on to indicate warnings from the check control system.

Since we don't know which one you have and you're new...I'll post both instructions on how to reset the Service Interval Display. And if you scroll down below the instructions...you'll see more info that explains a bit more as to what you're seeing in the display and how to interpret it. At the end of the reset procedure...you should see a number with an "L" behind it (except it will be a small case "l") and it represent the amount of liters that will need to be consumed before the next service.

{HIGH cluster}

{LOW cluster}

To find km (or miles)...you'll need to see the info under the top paragraph below about DISTANCE. When doing the instrument cluster SI display reset...you will see a number with an "L" after it when you get to the end...this will be liters in your case. To determine the KM...you will need to divide the liters of fuel consumed by your AVG MPG (or just follow the green LEDs in the SI display :) )

Question 2:

The BT question might be simple or difficult depending on if you have an actual phone installed or not...as well as what's still offered and working in your part of the world. The BT module in my 2006 X5 4.4 doesn't use the R/T button (that is phone specific and detailed in the owners booklet for the phone found in the binder...if you got that with your X). See the instructions below for connecting your cell/smart phone to the BT modules that were used on the later models (2005/2006 model years...or e53 X5s with a 10/04-up build date) and don't require an actual phone or phone parts...all you need is the PASS CODE from the BT module which you enter on your cell/smart phone when asked:

Hint: KL R = ignition position 1 & KL 15 = ignition position 2

If you have BMW ASSIST or PREMIUM PKG...then you automatically have the BT module that uses the instructions above:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts