Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The M3 CSL would be bigger and faster than the Porsche 911. It weighs about as much and is faster than the 911 on the Nurburgring. I wonder if BMW could build them to compete....

CSL= Coupe, Sports, Lightweight

Unlike the E36 Lightweight, this would have more power and different suspension components. It is very cool, IMO. How about a factory option for R-Compound tires :p

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Didn't someone post a pic a month or so ago of one of these on a showroom floor in Dubai?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kaz said:
Didn't someone post a pic a month or so ago of one of these on a showroom floor in Dubai?
That was the M3 GTR, the $250,000 V-8 race car. Quite a difference, this one can be build for much cheaper, I think. It has a slightly tweaked standard M3 I-6 (350+ hp) :thumb:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
atyclb said:
The CSL may or may not get produced, but it is appearing unlikely that it would ever reach U.S. shores.
It better come here :cry:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Rumor has it BMW is planning on building a consumer version of the lightweight but not go to the extremes...It'll likely have SOME of the technologies from the CSL but not so CB extreme.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The HACK said:
Rumor has it BMW is planning on building a consumer version of the lightweight but not go to the extremes...It'll likely have SOME of the technologies from the CSL but not so CB extreme.
I want it to go though unchanged :p

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
nate328Ci said:

I want it to go though unchanged :p
Would cost too much to be appealing to ANYONE. The carbon fiber parts are too expensive to mass produce I think.

If a lightweight version of the M3 does come out, it'd have to be within $65K to be appealing I think. Anything more than that I'd rather spring for the M5 and the extra 2 doors.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The HACK said:

Would cost too much to be appealing to ANYONE. The carbon fiber parts are too expensive to mass produce I think.

If a lightweight version of the M3 does come out, it'd have to be within $65K to be appealing I think. Anything more than that I'd rather spring for the M5 and the extra 2 doors.
The M3 CSL wouldn't be made for the faint of heart "image" buyer (if there is such a thing) and would go against the Porsche 911 in the track/enthusiast market. I think that it could go as high as $75K and be competetive with Porsche.

The problem getting it to the USA is regulations. Because it would have to be certified and would be sold in limited quantities, it might not be profitable.

As for the M5 issue, these cars don't even compare to eachother. The M5 is a 4000+ lb street sedan that is great on the street, super comfortable, and great on the track. The M3 CSL is a stripped down ~2950 lb E46 made for track use. I don't think buyers will comparison shop these cars. 911, for sure. It is faster than the 911 GT3, the Porsche "club-race" car. :bigpimp:

T

·
0 Posts
nate328Ci said:

The M3 CSL wouldn't be made for the faint of heart "image" buyer (if there is such a thing) and would go against the Porsche 911 in the track/enthusiast market. I think that it could go as high as $75K and be competetive with Porsche.

The problem getting it to the USA is regulations. Because it would have to be certified and would be sold in limited quantities, it might not be profitable.

As for the M5 issue, these cars don't even compare to eachother. The M5 is a 4000+ lb street sedan that is great on the street, super comfortable, and great on the track. The M3 CSL is a stripped down ~2950 lb E46 made for track use. I don't think buyers will comparison shop these cars. 911, for sure. It is faster than the 911 GT3, the Porsche "club-race" car. :bigpimp:
I agree on all points.

And I cannot imagine that there is ANYONE out there who would buy a CSL-like M3 at $65K that would defect to an M5 were the CSL-like M3 $75K instead. They might defect to the 911, but not an M5. Totally different cars with totally different purposes.

Then again, I cannot imagine that an M3 SEDAN would steal a single sale away from the M5. I guess that shows what I know.

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TD said:

I agree on all points.

And I cannot imagine that there is ANYONE out there who would buy a CSL-like M3 at $65K that would defect to an M5 were the CSL-like M3 $75K instead. They might defect to the 911, but not an M5. Totally different cars with totally different purposes.

Then again, I cannot imagine that an M3 SEDAN would steal a single sale away from the M5. I guess that shows what I know.
I think the M3 sedan might take some sales. It is almost as fast and barely smaller (the E39 is wider).

But, the CSL is not even close to the "executive express" that the M5 is. The M5 is great on the track (from personal experience), but it can never be a track star like the CSL.

I think I would choose the CSL over the 911. The E46 has a more ergonomic enterior and the CSL with beat the shit out of a 911 in every category (it seems).

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
nate328Ci said:
The M5 is great on the track (from personal experience), but it can never be a track star like the CSL.
Correct sir ! The CSL is 30+ seconds quicker than E46M3 at Nürburgring.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
alee said:

Ouch, that much quicker? :yikes:
Yep, amazing, isn't it ? They tested both of them on five laps and took the average :)

·
Super Moderator
11,052 Posts
Alex Baumann said:
Yep, amazing, isn't it ? They tested both of them on five laps and took the average :)
Certainly wasn't me driving. ;) How does it compare against some of the fastest ring times?

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
alee said:
Certainly wasn't me driving. ;) How does it compare against some of the fastest ring times?
The test article is in one of my 600+ magazines :D I think I must archive them soon, LOL.

I'm thinking to set up a database, so I can answer question like this faster :D

·
Super Moderator
11,052 Posts
Alex Baumann said:

The test article is in one of my 600+ magazines :D I think I must archive them soon, LOL.

I'm thinking to set up a database, so I can answer question like this faster :D
You haven't memorized it yet? :D

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
alee said:
You haven't memorized it yet? :D
No, I'm memorizing the new price list and the option codes :D

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The CSL laps the north loop in less than 8 minutes. There are only a handful of prduction cars that can do that.

The 996 GT3 is +/- 8 minutes, so the CSL is pretty fawking fast. If the M3 CSL is 30 sec faster than a standard M3, it should be about 7:52 min! :yikes:

·
Registered
595 Posts
nate.....

....i ranted about the CSL on the M board a long time ago. that was exactly my point, too. they should build a car such as the CSL, even if it cost $75k because people would buy it.

and there isn't any overlap between the M3 and M5 if one is seeking a pure track car. sorry, but at the end of the day, no one wants to run 100 or so laps in a 4000 pound M5. that's a lot of extra work, even for a club racer, every lap.

:thumb:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts