BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been searching and wiki-ing and can't really find a definitive answer, so i thought i'd ask...

Is the BMW Performance Short Shift Kit and actual upgrade, or is it just the kit from the 330 ZHP?

If it is just the ZHP parts, is it an improvement over a stock 325's shifter? I really like the look of the knob, so rather than spending $200-300 on an aftermarket SSK, and $100 on the knob i like, thought i'd combine for $180 total at Tischer.

Thanks.

-Will

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Hello,

I've been searching and wiki-ing and can't really find a definitive answer, so i thought i'd ask...

Is the BMW Performance Short Shift Kit and actual upgrade, or is it just the kit from the 330 ZHP?

If it is just the ZHP parts, is it an improvement over a stock 325's shifter? I really like the look of the knob, so rather than spending $200-300 on an aftermarket SSK, and $100 on the knob i like, thought i'd combine for $180 total at Tischer.

Thanks.

-Will
The ZHP shifter kit is an upgrade from the 325 standard shifter. It is an "upgrade" in the sense that it is better than what you have, I dont know if it is better than one from another aftermarket company.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks smolck, I take it that the "BMW Performance Shift Kit" is just taken from the ZHP, then.

I don't think that it is an upgrade when compared to UUC, Rogue, B&M, but definitely when compared to a stock 325. However, I hear mixed reviews about UUC, Rogue, B&M when used on a daily driver. It sounds like it will be a nice in-between upgrade for us 325 & non-ZHP owners.

Anyone on the boards do this upgrade yet?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm interested in knowing the results of anyone who has bought one. I'm considering the BMW kit over a 3rd party and wanted to know if it's worth the money.

·
Ubergeek
15,646 Posts
I'm interested in knowing the results of anyone who has bought one. I'm considering the BMW kit over a 3rd party and wanted to know if it's worth the money.
There are many of us with ZHPs who have upgraded to the UUC Evo3 SSK and consider it very worth it. I wouldn't spend money on just the ZHP shift lever.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Having driven the ZHP and a standard 323 I can tell you it is a vast improvement. That said, some don't like it because they say it feels "notchy", that is what I am used to with all my race cars and such so it is what I prefer. Some like the silky smooth actions though and the ZHP kit (nor the others out there) is not "smooth".

·
Is it Trackday yet?
8,975 Posts
Sorry, I meant the whole SSK and not just the knob. So there are better 3rd party kits to be had?
Yeah, there are better ones. I like my UUC Evo 3, some prefer the Auto Solutions one.

I like the rifle-bolt action on the UUC, but some want a smooth "acura" style shifter, ain't gonna get that with any aftermarket SSKs I've tried.

IMO, no need for the DSSR and on a 6-speed no way you'd get it in without dropping the transmission either. There's very little room to work in under the car.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Yeah, the ZHP 6MT shifter is better than your 323i shifter because it moves to the left and right, not just up and down. :rofl:.
Wow, A cheap shot to the cojones! :wow:

One day my friend, one day....:drive:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts