BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I glow in the dark
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, will my bmw 5 series sound ok if I leave the stock amp and install MB quartz PCE213 speakers ? or should i just get cheaper component speakers and use the stock amp ? I really do not want to change another amp. and how will sound quality be and which model of MB quartz do you guys suggest ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
cost?

Where are you buying your speakers from and how did you land on the MB Quart? Which speakers are you chaning out?

Darcy

·
I glow in the dark
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alpine2 said:
Where are you buying your speakers from and how did you land on the MB Quart? Which speakers are you chaning out?

Darcy
ebay , I will be changing just the front speakers.

·
Registered
433 Posts
You bet your a$$ they will!!

Mine kick A$$! :thumbup:

I couldn't believe the difference when I swapped out my $hitty stock speakers! MB quarts have some sick highs... What a Difference!! :D

·
just havin a heart attack
2,741 Posts
do you have DSP? Look for DSP button on radio.

·
I glow in the dark
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bimmerd00d said:
do you have DSP? Look for DSP button on radio.
Yes I have NAVI and within the navi i see a DSP option and then I get to choose concert or all these sound adjusting features, My other question is , which MB quart will fit into my door without doing any adjustments ? or will all of them ? I read some post some where that people having problems because of depth problems where the magnet is too big and they couldnt get the window to come down because of the speaker being in the way, since some of you have install MB quart to your bmw 5 series can you tell me was it just a swap out and nothing else ? thanks.

·
2,741 Posts
flyboyy said:
Yes I have NAVI and within the navi i see a DSP option and then I get to choose concert or all these sound adjusting features, My other question is , which MB quart will fit into my door without doing any adjustments ? or will all of them ? I read some post some where that people having problems because of depth problems where the magnet is too big and they couldnt get the window to come down because of the speaker being in the way, since some of you have install MB quart to your bmw 5 series can you tell me was it just a swap out and nothing else ? thanks.
MB Quarts will work, as long as they're 5.25" components. Can you post the model number of them? www.bavariansoundwerks.com used to use MB Quarts, but they switched to Rainbow Audio due to some resonance issues that occurred in some E39's. I used the Rainbow ones, got a front set for $215, and i will be replacing my rears as well with them in teh near future. I can honestly say these, plus the ///M Audio subs are the best upgrade for the car yet.

·
Go Yankees
115 Posts
I did the upgrade on mine and put it a basslink...
results = BIG AS S difference...
Looking into changing the stock amp soon:thumbup:

·
SmokinE39
203 Posts
i added self amplified sub woofer, SAS bazooka 10 inch tube, i was gonna go for the infinity basslink but it was costly, anyways because of the bmw insulation i can barely heard the subs !!!, i might need to changed the stock amplifier and the front speakers

·
I glow in the dark
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
bimmerd00d said:
MB Quarts will work, as long as they're 5.25" components. Can you post the model number of them? www.bavariansoundwerks.com used to use MB Quarts, but they switched to Rainbow Audio due to some resonance issues that occurred in some E39's. I used the Rainbow ones, got a front set for $215, and i will be replacing my rears as well with them in teh near future. I can honestly say these, plus the ///M Audio subs are the best upgrade for the car yet.
i was thinking of getting MB Quart RCE213 = about $110 or MB Quart PCE213 = $210 not sure if spending the extra $100 is worth it. i was planning on changing just the front first to see how it sounds and ultimate if it sounds good i will change the rear as well. I tried to look for rainbow audio on ebay but...couldnt find much, what are the price range ? I did find bavaransoundwerk rainbow component speakers one ebay it was going for... $350 or so. what you guys suggest ? MB Quart or Rainbow ?

·
2,741 Posts
flyboyy said:
i was thinking of getting MB Quart RCE213 = about $110 or MB Quart PCE213 = $210 not sure if spending the extra $100 is worth it. i was planning on changing just the front first to see how it sounds and ultimate if it sounds good i will change the rear as well. I tried to look for rainbow audio on ebay but...couldnt find much, what are the price range ? I did find bavaransoundwerk rainbow component speakers one ebay it was going for... $350 or so. what you guys suggest ? MB Quart or Rainbow ?
Rainbows, Bavarian Soundwerks tested a lot of options before settling on them. THey are $215 a set, $429 for the front/rear components. I replaced my fronts only, and i am dead happy. I may pick up another set for the rear in the near future.

·
I glow in the dark
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bimmerd00d said:
Rainbows, Bavarian Soundwerks tested a lot of options before settling on them. THey are $215 a set, $429 for the front/rear components. I replaced my fronts only, and i am dead happy. I may pick up another set for the rear in the near future.
when you replaced your fronts only, all you did was swap it out ? or you added something else ? I am assumming you are using the factory amp as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Difficulty?

bimmerd00d said:
Was it hard to install the Rainbows? Do you have DSP? If so, did it make a significant difference?

·
Registered
44 Posts
smokinE39 said:
i added self amplified sub woofer, SAS bazooka 10 inch tube, i was gonna go for the infinity basslink but it was costly, anyways because of the bmw insulation i can barely heard the subs !!!, i might need to changed the stock amplifier and the front speakers
I couldn't agree with you anymore about barely hearing the bass because of the insulation. I went out and bought 2 10" kickers. I could hardly hear the bass on those. I went and returned that.. Now i have two 12" Dub3's in the back. Much better! The steering wheel shakes like no other! :rofl: I still have a stock amp and stock speakers tho.. But after putting in the amp.. It made my tweaters in the front stand out more and gave the stock a lil bit of bass...

·
Registered
79 Posts
My 2 cents

The Stock amp has built in crossovers that are designed for the stock speakers. Changing out the speakers alone will result in mediocre sound quality at best. I know this for a fact, I've heard the difference. For the first and most noticable sound improvement I would change out the stock amp and add some quality crossovers for the stock speakers. That was my first step and the sound quality was much improved. Step 2 is to add a second amp and a quality sub. I know people talk about not being able to hear the bass from the trunk, but that is simply not the case with a well amplified quality 12 inch sub. Step 3 is to swap out the stock speakers. I did all of these things over a 1 year period and can honestly say my car sounds amazing, on par with some home systems with 5000 plus invested. As to your questions on mb quart vs. Rainbow...I run Quart Q series, great speaker but very pricey, for entry level I would choose rainbow over quart.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've heard the BSW upgrades and think that they're an outstanding upgrade without changing a lot of stuff. I, too, would get the Rainbow speakers over the Quart.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
bring it to the meet. i don't mind installing it for you. i've taken apart my door panels more times then i really want to admit.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
525i guy said:
I couldn't agree with you anymore about barely hearing the bass because of the insulation. I went out and bought 2 10" kickers. I could hardly hear the bass on those. I went and returned that.. Now i have two 12" Dub3's in the back. Much better! The steering wheel shakes like no other! :rofl: I still have a stock amp and stock speakers tho.. But after putting in the amp.. It made my tweaters in the front stand out more and gave the stock a lil bit of bass...
I have the Infinity BassLink sub and it puts out tremendous clean and tight bass, more than enough. I have the gain at only 25% -- any higher and the car would shake apart and it would sound unnatural. It's so powerful that if I wanted to I could sound like those idiot-fool kids that have their bass level so high that everyone within a block hears them; to this audiophile, that amount of bass is horribly annoying.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
i went with a Kenwood KSC-100 which hits pretty well as well. the advantage it has over basslink is that it doesn't require you to bolt it down. i just got a bit of velcro and it holds just nice and tight.

thinking about picking up another one... not sure... but i really like it.

·
I glow in the dark
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
chivas said:
bring it to the meet. i don't mind installing it for you. i've taken apart my door panels more times then i really want to admit.
I may not have the component speakers by meetup, but when I get them and if you have time maybe you can help me out some other weekend ? ^^.

so everyone is suggesting I should get the rainbows ?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.