BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So, here it is: Everyone mentions they have M-Sport, regardless of what they're posting about, almost always having nothing to do with M-Sport. That's marketing success!

A badge of honor, and a very high profit option, it's all about image. M Division charges much more for real performance; M-Sport brings a little of that and a whole lotta ///M badges. But where's a BMW pilot gonna go if he can't afford the M Division premium?

It's a huge up-sell for Munich - how do you feel about it?

·
Registered
8,892 Posts

So, here it is: Everyone mentions they have M-Sport, regardless of what they're posting about, almost always having nothing to do with M-Sport. That's marketing success!

A badge of honor, and a very high profit option, it's all about image. M Division charges much more for real performance; M-Sport brings a little of that and a whole lotta ///M badges. But where's a BMW pilot gonna go if he can't afford the M Division premium?

I feel it (M sport) is an appearance package, and I like the way it looks. I dont care about the \\M badges inside the car. I DO care about the nice steering wheel, and extra appearance bits... no matter if they have the actual badge on them or not.

To answer your question, I think its good marketing, because it also encourages people to move up brand (to the real \\M car) when they can financially afford it.

·
Premium Member
6,882 Posts
My 328dxt is only a Sport model. I feel so ashamed. :bawling:

;)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Quite simply I think of M sport is an appearance package as well. I personally think the car looks rather plain and down right ugly without it.

Other than financial reasons, true M is off my list (unless I relocate) because I require Xdrive. This is one area where Audi has an advantage since they have AWD on their S models. I do wish their lease residuals weren't so low. Speaking of Audi, they are the same in the fact that you can get an S-line appearance package on lesser models. It is marketing but who cares. :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
For me it is also about the appearance of the M-Sport exterior and interior parts, and also the cloth/alcantara seats you cannot get outside the MSport line, that was a huge "dealmaker:)rofl:)". Its kind of the BMW style of doing things, they pack goodies into packets that you cannot opt out of....

BTW you can have the MSport line badges removed :thumbup:

I could care less for the badge... Personally I would highly consider removing the M badge if I was to go for an M next time round...

·
Sedan Driver
330 Posts
Quite simply I think of M sport is an appearance package as well. I personally think the car looks rather plain and down right ugly without it.

Other than financial reasons, true M is off my list (unless I relocate) because I require Xdrive. This is one area where Audi has an advantage since they have AWD on their S models. I do wish their lease residuals weren't so low. Speaking of Audi, they are the same in the fact that you can get an S-line appearance package on lesser models. It is marketing but who cares. :)
Totally agree with your 1st statement for the msport package but some individual options make a real difference like the PPK.

Tho I do think S4 compares more to the 335/340 rather than the M3.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Totally agree with your 1st statement for the msport package but some individual options make a real difference like the PPK.

Tho I do think S4 compares more to the 335/340 rather than the M3.
True I do agree. I guess when I wrote my statement I was thinking that Audi allows the S4 to be configured with a sports suspension and torque vectoring on the S4. These are things BMW refuses to put on Xdrive cars.

In my area I see as many Audi's as I do BMW's and I think this is part of the reason.

·
Registered
588 Posts
In my opinion, the M Sport equipped cars look so much better from the front and rear. They usually have much nicer wheels and a nice optional blue color that is exclusive to the package. As others have mentioned, the steering wheel is usually pretty nice too. Other than these items, there is no mechanical advantage whatsoever to having an M Sport car and at the prices they charge, the argument for purchasing the package is pretty weak. That being said, there is always an emotional component to buying a car...

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,791 Posts

On BMW enthusiast forums. In the real world M Sport models are pretty rare. With the LCI one must delineate having the M Sport pkg to indicate they have the 704 sport suspension, on rwd cars. On pre-LCI models you gotta state Sport or M Sport to indicate the presence of the sport suspension.

But I would agree among folks who buy the M Sport they generally want people to know they got it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
In my opinion, the M Sport equipped cars look so much better from the front and rear. They usually have much nicer wheels and a nice optional blue color that is exclusive to the package. As others have mentioned, the steering wheel is usually pretty nice too. Other than these items, there is no mechanical advantage whatsoever to having an M Sport car and at the prices they charge, the argument for purchasing the package is pretty weak. That being said, there is always an emotional component to buying a car...
100% this. Were it not for the aesthetic of the M Sport package I doubt I would have even driven the BMW. The non-M Sport trims are just too... plain... to my eye.

Same reason I bought an NB2 Miata versus an NC when I wanted a fun weekend car. The NC is probably the better car, but I find the styling so unappealing I couldn't bring myself to buy one. Admittedly, the larger trunk opening of the NB2 played a role as well.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
On BMW enthusiast forums. In the real world M Sport models are exceedingly rare. With the LCI one must delineate having the M Sport pkg to indicate they have the 704 sport suspension, on rwd cars. On pre-LCI models you gotta state Sport or M Sport to indicate the presence of the sport suspension.

But I would agree among folks who buy the M Sport they generally want people to know they got it.
Wow, this surprised me for sure. Rare??? Not where I am. My dealer has had five 340's in stock since the end of last year. They were dealer ordered cars, including mine. ALL were Msport. They have at least five 328's and 428's and all were Msport as well with the rest being non-Msport but they obviously have more 328's and 428's in stock. I typically see at least one or two Mpsport 5 series as well as X3 Msports are quite common on the lot.

Seeing Msport's on the road is also quite common. I actually saw two E92 Mports on my way to work this morning. :rofl: My 2011 was one of the first Msports and it was rare since it was new and had a very different look at the time but not anymore.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Wow, this surprised me for sure. Rare??? Not where I am. My dealer has had five 340's in stock since the end of last year. They were dealer ordered cars, including mine. ALL were Msport. They have at least five 328's and 428's and all were Msport as well with the rest being non-Msport but they obviously have more 328's and 428's in stock. I typically see at least one or two Mpsport 5 series as well as X3 Msports are quite common on the lot.

Seeing Msport's on the road is also quite common. I actually saw two E92 Mports on my way to work this morning. :rofl: My 2011 was one of the first Msports and it was rare since it was new and had a very different look at the time but not anymore.
I suspect it is highly market dependent. I live in Arkansas. M Sports are hands-down, absolutely, positively in the minority.

*If* you see a 2 Series it is probably M Sport. Largely true for the 4 as well (though again, you won't see many). M Sport 3s are a definite minority. Outside of those the term *exceedingly rare* is very apt.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I suspect it is highly market dependent. I live in Arkansas. M Sports are hands-down, absolutely, positively in the minority.

*If* you see a 2 Series it is probably M Sport. Largely true for the 4 as well (though again, you won't see many). M Sport 3s are a definite minority. Outside of those the term *exceedingly rare* is very apt.
I find this very interesting. I thought it would be market independent. Perhaps it's simply because my dealer started ordering them that way. Only one dealer in this entire state. :)

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
On BMW enthusiast forums. In the real world M Sport models are exceedingly rare. With the LCI one must delineate having the M Sport pkg to indicate they have the 704 sport suspension, on rwd cars. On pre-LCI models you gotta state Sport or M Sport to indicate the presence of the sport suspension.

On this particular topic, what seems to be common on BMW enthusiast boards but rare in real life to me is Estoril Blue as a color. When you look at a board like bimmerfest, it appears that every 3rd person has estoril blue, but on my commute I have seen exactly 2 other Estoril Blue 3/4 series cars other than mine.

I see dozens of BMWs every day on my commute in all ages / and models, new, old, etc. They are not quite toyota camry's but they are DEFINITELY not rare. I see a fair amount of m sport models (that I can identify based on the look of the front facia, or rear (like the rectangle tailpipes on an X5 M sport model).

I never see Estoril Blue though... and I sometimes get looks from other BMW drivers checking out the car, or the wheels.

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,791 Posts

Maybe "exceedingly" is a little too strong. I edited it to "pretty rare". In Chicagoland the are many more no-line/regular 320i's and 328i's.

I must say I wouldn't expect Vermont to be a hotbed of M Sport models. :)

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Pre-LCI, no advantage besides steering wheel if you are comparing to sport line but the 704 msport suspension is superior to the base no line or xdrive suspension. Anyone who can't see that driving both back to back I would question what they are doing on an enthusiasts forum.

Post LCI, msport gets you the 704 suspension. W/out it, you have to get track package.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
On this particular topic, what seems to be common on BMW enthusiast boards but rare in real life to me is Estoril Blue as a color. When you look at a board like bimmerfest, it appears that every 3rd person has estoril blue, but on my commute I have seen exactly 2 other Estoril Blue 3/4 series cars other than mine.

I see dozens of BMWs every day on my commute in all ages / and models, new, old, etc. They are not quite toyota camry's but they are DEFINITELY not rare. I see a fair amount of m sport models (that I can identify based on the look of the front facia, or rear (like the rectangle tailpipes on an X5 M sport model).

I never see Estoril Blue though... and I sometimes get looks from other BMW drivers checking out the car, or the wheels.
Same here, not many m-sports running around either though, and very few EBII F30's. I could probably count my EBII sightings so far this year on one hand.

·
Informed Badge Whore
477 Posts
Definitely a ///Marketing success, no denying that. Let me throw out a few random thoughts on the Matter:

1. As someone who adored, loved and enjoyed my M3s (95 E36, 99 E36, 02 E46, 04 E46), the "M" brand lost it's magic and mystique for me when the first X5 M came out.
2. The E9x 335s got me out of my rev-high inclinations as I began to enjoy torque more (which made me defect to AMG for a few years).
3. I can afford an F8x but don't care to have one.
4. I actually prefer the relatively plain (cleaner in my eyes) appearance of the non-M Sports. I don't mean to offend but the M-Sports look like half-baked ///M cars to me (but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts