BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that BMW is pushing into the larger SUV market with the upcoming three row X7 SUV, I have to ask a question: America's top selling vehicles are not sedans or SUVs. They are pickup trucks. So would it make sense for BMW to take its X7, beef it up a bit, and make a pickup truck? Toyota has one. All three US automakers have them (multiple models). (Doesn't Nissan have one?) Maybe BMW should offer one. Give it all the tech options, give it a turbo V-8 or a supercharged V-8 or turbo-diesel, an automated rear gate, different floor options, and make the cabin super luxurious. I bet it would sell...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Pickups are generally bought to be beat on.

How many people would buy a new BMW to subject it to the normal abuse a pickup experiences? I don't think enough for BMW to invest in that amount of R/D. Besides - they'd be SO far behind.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,371 Posts
A BMW Kountry Kadillac, on Monster Mudder Gumbo-grips and jacked 24". If ya take the muffler off, it sounds just like my tractor.

I use a 4'x8' utility trailer to haul the garbage. I have the $300 boot cover thingie for when I put the bikes inside, but usually they're on a Draftmaster bike rack. No dogs ever. I vacuum weekly, wash weekly, garaged.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,371 Posts
LOL. The EXT was dropped in 2013 after < 2,000 were sold and I didn't even notice. Among the ten worst selling autos.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Pickups are generally bought to be beat on.

How many people would buy a new BMW to subject it to the normal abuse a pickup experiences? I don't think enough for BMW to invest in that amount of R/D. Besides - they'd be SO far behind.
I live in the middle of farm country and not everyone who owns a pickup truck "beats" on them. Around here, most people take better care of their pickup trucks then they do their cars.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I live in the middle of farm country and not everyone who owns a pickup truck "beats" on them. Around here, most people take better care of their pickup trucks then they do their cars.
I think you misinterpreted what I wrote.

"beat on" doesn't mean "mistreat". I grew up on a farm, around farmers. Pickups are subject to rough terrain, heavy payloads, serious engine stress etc.

You really think someone is going to drop a thousand pounds of loose gravel in the back of a BMW pickup?

·
Registered
573 Posts
In my opinion luxury and pickups are like blood and water. They just don't mix well.

Lexus, Infiniti, etc. don't have them.

BMW needs to stick to coupes, sudans, and SUV's.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hopefully BMW will stick to cars and SUVs. Mercedes is coming out with a pickup, but I believe it's just a Nissan re-badged as a Mercedes. Not sure how well it will sell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pickups require a full frame, something BMW does not produce anymore. The Cadillac and Lincoln models were just the basic corporate truck with "luxury" interiors. You can get close to them now in a 1500 or F150. Mercedes still has the unimaginable which is full frame and could easily be adapted to a pickup version. I think they still do a military cargo version.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts