BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
13,059 Posts

·
Freedom isn't free!!
19,817 Posts
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...gen-3-series-sedan-in-mexico-starting-in-2019

I'm not sure what to think of this. I suppose it really shouldn't matter where it gets manufactured, as current 3-series is also being made in other plants worldwide. But there's just something about saying that my car is made in Mexico that's a little off-putting.
I agree about it being off-putting, but I think the reality is this production shouldn't be any different than South African production. And this plant will have all the latest and greatest production equipment and practices.

There's a very lively discussion of this going on on F30Post with a lot of speculation that 100% of North American production will come from Mexico and ED of the 3er will no longer be available. I think that conclusion makes no sense whatsoever.

All 4ers will continue to be built in Germany and I see no reason to believe BMW will not continue U.S. bound 3er production in Germany also. I cannot imagine a scenario where 4ers are available for ED, but 3er sedans are not. btw, the word is the ///M3 will continue to be produced only in Germany.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...gen-3-series-sedan-in-mexico-starting-in-2019

I'm not sure what to think of this. I suppose it really shouldn't matter where it gets manufactured, as current 3-series is also being made in other plants worldwide. But there's just something about saying that my car is made in Mexico that's a little off-putting.
What is off-putting about a car manufactured or assembled in Mexico? Will the product be any different than those from Spartanburg, Rosslyn or Regensburg?

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
I agree about it being off-putting, but I think the reality is this production shouldn't be any different than South African production. And this plant will have all the latest and greatest production equipment and practices.

There's a very lively discussion of this going on on F30Post with a lot of speculation that 100% of North American production will come from Mexico and ED of the 3er will no longer be available. I think that conclusion makes no sense whatsoever.

All 4ers will continue to be built in Germany and I see no reason to believe BMW will not continue U.S. bound 3er production in Germany also. I cannot imagine a scenario where 4ers are available for ED, but 3er sedans are not. btw, the word is the ///M3 will continue to be produced only in Germany.
Is there any indication that the engines(e.g. B48, B58) will be built in the new plant?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Is there any indication that the engines(e.g. B48, B58) will be built in the new plant?
article says engines and transmissions will be manufactured in Germany and shipped to Mexico for assembly.
I can only speak for myself, but there is no way in hell i am getting a German car built/assembled in Mexico.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
article says engines and transmissions will be manufactured in Germany and shipped to Mexico for assembly.
I can only speak for myself, but there is no way in hell i am getting a German car built/assembled in Mexico.
Me neither. No thanks. Got to spend a little more time in a Mk7 GTI recently, beyond the initial test drive and while the car seems nice, there is over all cheaper feel compared to the MK6 and before. Not as solid or something, who knows. So yeah, whether it is reasonable or unfounded or whatever, knowing/saying your BMW was made in Mexico is a bummer.

·
Registered
664 Posts
BMW will save a lot of money buy doing it, and of course they will pass the savings to us.;)

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts
What is off-putting about a car manufactured or assembled in Mexico?
Other than a possible impact to European Delivery for U.S. customers, nothing.

Mexico is one of the best places in the world for automotive manufacturing.

·
Registered
679 Posts
What is off-putting about a car manufactured or assembled in Mexico? Will the product be any different than those from Spartanburg, Rosslyn or Regensburg?
Yes, the difference is that Trump may well lose his mind, or what's left of it.

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts
I think F30 cars have been produced at BMW's Lerma plant in Toluca from knock down kits. The new plant in San Luis Potosi is a full fledged production facility.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have no problem with BMWs built in Mexico. Why do ppl assume that Mexican-built cars would be of lesser quality? They will be built under German supervision with German engines to German specs. Does this inferior car idea apply to South African cars also? I rather doubt that BMW will risk its reputation on shoddy workmanship (or robots).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have no problem with BMWs built in Mexico. Why do ppl assume that Mexican-built cars would be of lesser quality? They will be built under German supervision with German engines to German specs. Does this inferior car idea apply to South African cars also? I rather doubt that BMW will risk its reputation on shoddy workmanship (or robots).
As long as the same standards are kept then I have no problem, but like Japanese cars that are being manufactured in US there are some differences in quality that I'd be concerned about. BMW is doing this for the costs saving, but will that trickle down to us? Will the delivery cost be halved or will the MSRP of the cars go down? I doubt it.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
I think F30 cars have been produced at BMW's Lerma plant in Toluca from knock down kits. The new plant in San Luis Potosi is a full fledged production facility.
The F30 order guides only show Munich and South Africa units, so those F30s built at Lerma probably are not shipped to the US.

·
6 RINGS
8,457 Posts
Yeah i dont get the "off-putting" comment. Many manufacturer's build cars in Mex. Ford just built a huge plant there if im not mistaken

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
The way I see it ... it is wrong, but, even more wrong, it will take off.

See, when you want rational then you say "It will be built to German specs, German procedures and by German practices". That is rational and, as such, rationally 100% correct.

Likewise, when you want rational, you buy 4 door sedan that is safe, has decent performance, has room for X people/kids and Y luggage space, that gets what you consider decent mileage. And, rationally, you walk into a Ford or Honda dealership, not BMW.

What you will ultimately accept (you, The Consumer) is rational acceptance of something you bought fully irrationally. BMW knows that. It knows it very well. Ultimately, it is their gain and your loss. Rationally or irrationally - your choice how.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
+1
The country of origin for most cars is largely the result of an effective branding campaign that tells one nothing about where the components came from.
Those BMW's coming from Regensburg and other German facilities have a fair amount of non-Germanic components that many owners seem unwilling to recognize.
For those of us who are worried about the manufacturing plant location it would be best to tear up the sticker and other documentation that came with the car. Then just focus on the name, logo and location of BMW headquarters.

More important than a contrived country of origin is the reputation of the manufacturer for building well designed, high quality cars that are backed by a good warranty.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts