BMW's rough year continues into the September sales month with another drop in sales from a year ago. Heading into the home stretch, it does not look promising for BMW to retain the luxury crown in the United States. While not all terrible news, it is hard to look at the numbers and feel good about new sales recovering quickly. The bright spot in the report has to be the strong Pre-Owned market with a record of 22,809 vehicles sold in the month. The full report from BMW is below.
Sales of BMW brand vehicles decreased 4.6 percent in September for a total of 25,389 compared to 26,608 vehicles sold in September, 2015. Year-to-date, the BMW brand is down 7.9 percent in the U.S. on sales of 230,133 vehicles compared to 249,956 sold in the first nine months of 2015.
Notable vehicle sales in September include the BMW 7 Series which increased to 1,201 cars, the BMW X1 which increased to 2,463 vehicles, and the BMW X3 which increased to 3,829 vehicles.
"Once again, our Sports Activity Vehicles (SAVs) are leading the way, accounting for 44% of BMW September sales, the second month in a row for such a percentage," said Ludwig Willisch, President and CEO, BMW of North America. "At the same time, I am also pleased to see demand for our flagship 7 Series continuing to increase with solid numbers over a year ago."
BMW Group Sales
In total, the BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported September sales of 29,413 vehicles, a decrease of 5.2 percent from the 31,022 vehicles sold in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, BMW Group sales are down 8.8 percent on sales of 269,044 vehicles in the first nine months of 2016 compared to 294,930 in the same period in 2015.
MINI Brand Sales
For September, MINI USA reported 4,024 automobiles sold, a decrease of 8.8 percent from the 4,414 sold in the same month a year ago. Year-to-date, MINI USA reported a total of 38,911 automobiles sold, a decrease of 13.5 percent from 44,974 automobiles sold in the first nine months of 2015.
BMW Pre-Owned Vehicles
- September 2016 sales of BMW Certified Pre-Owned set a record with 11,178 vehicles, an increase of 28.5 percent from September 2015.
- Total BMW Pre-Owned sales also set a record with 22,809 vehicles, an increase of 61.6 percent from September 2015.
- Total BMW Pre-Owned cars sold year-to-date were 168,735, a 22 percent increase from the first nine months of 2015.
MINI Pre-Owned Vehicles
- In September, sales of MINI Certified Pre-Owned set a record with 925 vehicles, an increase of 2.3 percent from September 2015.
- Total MINI Pre-Owned sales also set a record with 2,234 vehicles in September 2016, an increase of 4.4 percent from September 2015.
- Total MINI Pre-Owned sales year-to-date were 21,303, a 4.7 percent increase from the first nine months of 2015.