Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all I bought my first BMW about a month ago, it is a 2005 530I and i was replacing the idrive controller yesterday but when I got it all back together my car battery had dropped to 11 volts from the doors being open and would not start but now that I have charged it and it has 12.8 volts I put it back in and it still wont start, no lights come on or anything the car seems dead. I went back checked all my connectors and even put the old controller back in just in case but still nothing. I checked the voltage again and when the negative terminal is dissconected I have 12.8 volts but when it is connected I have 4.5 volts, any ideas guys? I could really use the heilp.

·
Registered
478 Posts
How old is the battery? Just because it shows a high enough voltage under no load does not indicate that it will have enough current to start the car. Also, that 4.5V is a misprint, correct?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Just a heads up regarding batteries in these cars in general. If your battery is ever in question, just buy a new one. (my advice FWIW). I follow this forum regularly, and am amazed at the percentage of posts that are battery related.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, turns out it was the battery, the previous owner let the car sit for a few months and jumped before he showed us the car, we slapped a new one in and programmed it and everything works well.

Thanks for the help :thumbup:

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,477 Posts
Just a heads up regarding batteries in these cars in general. If your battery is ever in question, just buy a new one. (my advice FWIW). I follow this forum regularly, and am amazed at the percentage of posts that are battery related.
Battery problems in the cold season. AC problems in the warm seasons. Like clockwork or a calendar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts