BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

bmw vs benz e190d? benz won

1028 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  crowz
hello every one!! i have a story today to tell u guys. i have a bmw 325i ,2002, my friend has a 1989 benz 190d , we took a 1000 km trip today and at the end of the trip my baby bmw broke down, and the 1989 benz 190d won i am so mad that he has to pull me for over 50 km to my house. my problem was the coolant reservoir bow up. my car is in very good shape, 2 years a go i did,,, all the cooling system, so now can u guys please tell me why the coolant reservoir last only 2 years? and my car over heated went to red line, what else should i check when i change the reservoir ? thank u guys
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Did you turn the car off RIGHT away after it started to overheat?. If not you've probably already completely ruined your engine.... I really hope that isn't the case. Honestly expansion tanks are all crap and only last me from 30-40k miles each time. I've changed mine about 4 or 5 times in the years I've owned my car. What happen to yours is unfortunately quite common.
The quality of the part depends on the source too. I've read here that BMW redesigned the expansion tank to be more durable in the later production years. My original was in my car for 6 years and over 60k miles, but I still replaced it as a maintenance item at that time.

I've read of some knock-off brand that is pure crap, and it's sold along side the real deal at some parts websites.

Let's not jump to conclusions about a ruined engine just yet. Come back with more information after you put a new tank in and get everything sealed up again.
The Merc didn't win. You failed to keep your car properly maintained. BIG difference. Lick your wounds and be glad BMW gave you a tow hook.
Are you implying he should have changed the expansion tank in significantly less than the two years it was in?
You failed to keep your car properly maintained.
Saw this and then read where the 190d won and I'm like WHAT!?!?? I own a 190DT and its a good bit faster than the 190D and couldn't believe any e46 lost to one. Then realized you broke down.

Good luck on the fix and all.
CROWZ---- we didnt race we just took a long trip because he was telling me that mercedes is stronger then a bmw , and in my case he won, bmw broke and the mercedes didnt. i was so f...... mad .

smolck---- i do keep my bmw properly maintained , but didnt know that i have to change parts every every 6 months...

i will check all the cooling system again next week on my day off ..and i will post again whats going on.. but i still mad that a 23 years old benz didnt break and my bimmer embarrassed me on the middle of the road ..
a guy who fix bmw told me that u had ur reservoir cap too tied this why you had ur reservoir bow up, do u guys think is this true?
The cap is designed to relieve excessive pressure and protect other components from bowing up.
a guy who fix bmw told me that u had ur reservoir cap too tied this why you had ur reservoir bow up, do u guys think is this true?
Again, as others said, it depends greatly on the quality of the part. Expansion tanks are a very weak link, and a lot of guys buy the "Euro" brand because it is cheap. And CHEAP is exactly what it is and the failure rate is higher with that than an OEM tank.

Since we don't know how many miles you have on the tank or what brand it is we are left to guess as to why it failed. I have 10 months and 26k miles on my expansion tank, no issues at all.
smolck---- i do keep my bmw properly maintained , but didnt know that i have to change parts every every 6 months...
12 years headed twards 300,000 miles on mine :)

But if I replace it I will go back with oem.
Wow! I'm impressed.
12 years headed twards 300,000 miles on mine :)
Part of me says change it, part says its made out of some wierd german ubertanium and to leave it alone :)
Wow! I'm impressed.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.