BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found something interesting.

Straight from the BMW Accessories Website (http://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/2744/BMW-M-PERFORMANCE-POWER-KIT/?CenterId=36322) :

BMW M PERFORMANCE POWER KIT
The Ultimate Driving Machine gets an exhilarating boost in performance thanks to the new M Performance Power Kit. All BMW 335i Sedans (F30) can now be retrofitted at BMW centers for an unprecedented level of acceleration and speed. These new Performance Power Kits (PPK) enable current owners to augment the authentic motorsports heritage that is present in all BMW vehicles. The BMW M Performance Power Kit features engine tuning software and a new M Performance Engine Air Intake system. In addition, a replacement M Performance Engine Cover and Rocker Panel Decals provide the mark of distinction this retrofit deserves.

GetBMWParts.com, however, does not have the Intake System, atleast from the product details:

Genuine BMW F15 X5 M Performance Power Kit - 35i/iX only. The M Performance Power kit unleashes greater power and torque from the third generation X5 xDrive35i. An additional 20 horsepower and 32 ft/lb are added when retrofitting this power kit along with sharper accelerator calibration for increased response and acceleration. Kit includes FSC Code, decal kit, badge, and labels. Dealer installation required for the FSC Code. Not for vehicles with towing hitch. *Include vin with order. **Price includes Free Ground Shipping! (US only)

Can someone who ordered from getBMWParts.com ... did you receive an upgraded Intake System with your purchase?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yup, different vehicles - the F30 MPPK does include the new intake, while the F15 kit only includes the code and new stickers.

We have both on special in our M Performance Catalog here and with Free US Ground Shipping! :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Use one against the other. Call the closer one to you and tell them you were quoted 2 hours by the further dealer but decided to give them a shot since they're closer. No "shop parts" or any of that crap either that they'll try and sneak in on you. It actually doesn't take two hours. I think more like 30-45 minutes!!!!

·
Creeplyfe_718
61 Posts
Yea I know, I said the same thing when I found mine in my mail box an said to myself "that's it".$1000 piece of papers is right, There only can charge u 4 2hours labor cause it may take alil longer.im at my dealer now get it done, I came in extra early an hope by mid day it's done.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got mine installed!! Initial impressions are simply wow. The car feels 500 lbs lighter. I had a loaner 328i for 4 days, so I'm going to need a few more days to let this sink in. I would say it feels in between a 335i and an x5 35i. Mid range power has significantly been increased. Took it from 80-100 with ease, which could not have been said before. Overall pretty happy!

Total cost:
Parts - 997 (just a piece of paper, no additional parts)
Labor (1.5 hours) - 279

·
Registered
133 Posts
Asked, they said it had to be done to get the install to take, and wouldn't give any more details. It was contrary to every input about the MPPK on this forum, my gut says they were offering excuses as to why they had it for 4 hours.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Asked, they said it had to be done to get the install to take, and wouldn't give any more details. It was contrary to every input about the MPPK on this forum, my gut says they were offering excuses as to why they had it for 4 hours.
Lol, shocker.

Another dealer near me said they needed to replace a gear knob (? Something along those lines - No idea what that is) and asked for 4 hours of labor + parts.

The place I got it installed at charged me 1.5 hours, he told me 1 - 1.5 hours. Since I didn't push back, he charged me the 1.5. I suggest everyone negotiate 1 hour. I doubt it takes longer than that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Lol, shocker.

Another dealer near me said they needed to replace a gear knob (? Something along those lines - No idea what that is) and asked for 4 hours of labor + parts.

The place I got it installed at charged me 1.5 hours, he told me 1 - 1.5 hours. Since I didn't push back, he charged me the 1.5. I suggest everyone negotiate 1 hour. I doubt it takes longer than that.
Ya, some of these dealers are less than reputable, so I'm always on guard when it comes to the BS detector. There were a number of these threads, if you search, where the official BMW install time was listed as 45 minutes. --- I even question that, b/c I highly doubt the tech stands there and watches.
More likely, they plug it in and walk away. Lol

·
Registered
260 Posts
You're exactly right, they plug it in and work on the next vehicle. It takes 30-45 minutes. I negotiated one hour install time and watched what exactly was taking place, it took them 40minutes!!! Should've negotiated .5 hours of labor but I didn't want to waste the energy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
You're exactly right, they plug it in and work on the next vehicle. It takes 30-45 minutes. I negotiated one hour install time and watched what exactly was taking place, it took them 40minutes!!! Should've negotiated .5 hours of labor but I didn't want to waste the energy.
Yup, went through the same thing when I needed a new key "programmed" for my previous vehicle, a Tundra. They wanted an hour of shop labor b/c that's how long the program ran, I inquired if the tech was going to stand there and watch it. I don't expect this behavior from BMW, or Toyota. But, here we are, moral is...always question this kind of nonsense.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You totally should have, it's your right! Especially if you watched them and have proof. My x5 was in the shop from Tuesday - Friday (don't ask why it took so long lol), I had a nasty creak coming from the trunk/tailgate, hence didn't get a chance to watch them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.