BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW Wire gauges

473 Views 4 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Marracoonda
Hi all,
I am retro-fitting a cruise control long range radar unit to my F26 X4, but the wiring harness behind the front fender is no longer available, so will have to make my own. Connectors are no problem, but I’m not sure what wire gauges are used. The secondhand radar unit came with a cut-off plug and the wires look to be 20 AWG. Does anyone know what wire size BMW uses for the CANBUS wiring in their main looms? Also for power, for low current devices like the radar?
Thanks in advance.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
In partial answer to my own question, here is a handy link:
All BMW wire gauges are listed on the appropriate schematic wiring diagram with color codes. The IEC 60228 is used and standard, expressing wire gauges in ‘mm^2’
0.35 mm^2 may be common in the Car Area Network
Thanks Doug, I missed that in the wiring diagrams which I shouldn't have done, having extracted the colour codes and worked out the OEM connector details. Although sometimes hard to find, the schematics are very good. As I said in my first post, the wires in the remains of the original short harness seem to be 20 gauge, giving a cross-sectional area of .812 mm, but I will check the appropriate schematic.
All BMW wire gauges are listed on the appropriate schematic wiring diagram with color codes. The IEC 60228 is used and standard, expressing wire gauges in ‘mm^2’
0.35 mm^2 may be common in the Car Area Network
Yes, 0.35 is the csa of the radar wires, including power, which is slighter larger than 22AWG. Comparing them to some 22AWG aviation wire I have in stock, they look the same.
Thanks again Doug.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts