BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bmw wont start it was working yesterday . it has power all arround but it just wont turn over . i suspect it is the starter . what do u think ?

·
Registered
107 Posts
First thing I would check is your battery- it takes a lot more juice to turn the car over than it does to run the radio and lights. If you have an original battery it may be time for a new one.

There is an intermittent problem with some cars not turning over that I don't think anybody has positively diagnosed, where the car has power, but turning the key doesn't cause it to turn over. Most can get it to turn over after multiple attempts; some have reported that if you just hold the key in the start position for a long enough time (20-30 seconds) it will eventually turn over. My 330 did this a few times over the period of a couple of weeks last summer. For a month or so before that I would quite often get a 1-second or less delay when turning the key. The good(?) news for me was that it just went away after a couple of weeks- I was thinking about getting a starter when it just stopped happening, and hasn't done it since. I found similar reports when trying to figure out what the heck was wrong. Lots of speculation about the key sensor in the column, the battery (mine was brand new), and the starter. So if your battery is good you might just try holding the key on start for a good long time- if it eventually turns over, add yourself to the list.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,253 Posts
The hottest weather and the coldest weather are by far the hardest on a battery that`s already weak and "fading in the stretch", as they say in horse racing. There`s a strong chance your battery needs to be replaced (if it`s over 4 years old, it`s probably on its last legs). Walmart and Autozone have replacements for less than $100.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What do you mean by "power all around"? If it is cranking when you turn the key but not turning over then it's probably not your starter or battery. If it just clicks or does nothing while still lighting everything up then it might be the starter.

·
M535 / 330ci Mpkg
22 Posts
In ANY NO START issue............. The first things I always check at the shop are the following..

0) Fuel Level.........You would be amazed at some people! ;)
1) Scan for Codes
2) Check For Spark
3) Check Entire Charging system and starter
4) Check Fuel Pressure
5) Check Injector Pulse
6) Fuel Pump Relay
7-9 are usually found when checking codes.
7) Crankshaft Position Sensor
8) Camshaft position sensors Intake and Exhaust
9) Re-sync key (Instructions can be found in the forum) or Message me and I will give correct instructions.
And the list starts right on down the line until you realize that your ECU might have an issue or your Intake Manifold Control Actuator aka Adjusting Unit BMW Part Number: 11-61-7-544-805

Well I hope this is helpful, and please remember...........If you aint first, youre last............

·
Keeping it surreal
43,253 Posts
, and please remember...........If you aint first, youre last............
Sez the guy responding to a two-week-old "My Car Won`t Start" thread....Bwahahahahaaa....

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'll just say that if there's full power all around, the key turns and the starter just does nothing, then it could be the ECW unit. When they fail, your car goes into lockout mode and will not start. Period. This leads to a tow to the dealer and a replacement and reflash, Happened to me 4 months ago.
This was after battery tested fine and all other components worked perfectly.
Not cheap, but it happens.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,253 Posts
I'll just say that if there's full power all around, the key turns and the starter just does nothing, then it could be the ECW unit. When they fail, your car goes into lockout mode and will not start. Period. This leads to a tow to the dealer and a replacement and reflash, Happened to me 4 months ago.
This was after battery tested fine and all other components worked perfectly.
Not cheap, but it happens.
Possible, but I think a long shot for the OP....more likely a bad battery....Wednesday afternoon, out of the blue, my wife`s car wouldn`t start....radio, lights, etc., worked fine. I put a voltmeter on it....it registered just over 9 volts. I put it on a slow (2 amp) charge for about 7 or 8 hours, after which it read 13.5 volts, but it still wouldn`t crank the engine over....no cranking amps available. By morning, it had dropped back to 9 point-something volts. Toast. Got her a new battery, everything`s good now.....

·
M535 / 330ci Mpkg
22 Posts
There is always ONE person!

Sez the guy responding to a two-week-old "My Car Won`t Start" thread....Bwahahahahaaa....
Sez the guy looking in and reading a two-week-old "My Car Won't Start" Thread...............

:rofl:

But if thats all you had to pick at with the ENTIRE response I presented, well then I would say
your response deserves :rolleyes: hahahahha jk

·
In my own cars again
1,402 Posts
Sez the guy looking in and reading a two-week-old "My Car Won't Start" Thread...............

:rofl:

But if thats all you had to pick at with the ENTIRE response I presented, well then I would say
your response deserves :rolleyes: hahahahha jk
Bob's just profiling these cars and their issues. The e46 is ridiculously sensitive to a marginal battery, it makes all sorts of issues pop up, and most of the cars are now at the age where the original batteries are finally dying a slow death. One could spend a lot of time chasing ghosts on a no-start condition for an e46, and it all comes down to the battery. It's not like your e28.....

.....which sounds like a great car - Euro? Pics?

·
M535 / 330ci Mpkg
22 Posts
Bob's just profiling these cars and their issues. The e46 is ridiculously sensitive to a marginal battery, it makes all sorts of issues pop up, and most of the cars are now at the age where the original batteries are finally dying a slow death. One could spend a lot of time chasing ghosts on a no-start condition for an e46, and it all comes down to the battery. It's not like your e28.....

.....which sounds like a great car - Euro? Pics?
Hey there.... I think people might be giving the E46 too much credit as the Battery is concerned, I have owned and maintained 6 Bimmers at this point, 2 E46 chassis, which my current daily driver is an 03 330ci (02 production date) and Depending upon your chassis production date, you will have a host of issues, that changing the battery will NOT resolve.

To agree, Yes the E46 is sensitive to fluctuating voltage supply, BUT (So is every other car) you really have to look at real statistics here, and I'm not sure what your profession is, or if you spend any time in an actual shop, but I am a 6 year going on 7 BMW Technician for a shop here in Napa (Eurasian Autowerkes), and the Luxury automobile medium in this town is either BMW, Mercedes, then Audi, Porsche and the list trails on down!

I can say that a faulty/worn battery contributes to 2% of NO START issues, the remaining 98% is claimed by Crank sensors, and fuel supply (pump, rely, filter) and then Charging system.

As for the "Chasing ghosts" comment........there are never Ghosts when it comes to a no start issue, (unless you want to get into wiring) either the car starts or it doesn't, and when that happens, you check for Fuel, Spark, and charging system, The only time I have ever had an issue with "Chasing" a No Start problem, was actually with my "92" E36 325i.......If someone can tell me why the quotes on the year are relevant, they get a prize!! and of course my E28 and the infamous Motronic Control Unit going bad intermittently....... The E36 however is the E46's predecessor and well some of those Design flaws are going to be inherited on some level which that has been the case with the Rear Sub frame Failures, Fuel supply issues, and Engine Management sensors!

I say, listen to those that stick with the Stats.......and less on their own experience with their own vehicle, because keep in mind (Not everyone takes care of their BMW in the same manner that you might)

If you look at "My Garage" I have many pictures of my current BMW's.........The E28 I'm quite proud of as it is to my Knowledge the ONLY Laguna Seca Blue E28 in the world?? ;)

Cheers

·
catso
3,161 Posts
Hey there.... I think people might be giving the E46 too much credit as the Battery is concerned, I have owned and maintained 6 Bimmers at this point, 2 E46 chassis, which my current daily driver is an 03 330ci (02 production date) and Depending upon your chassis production date, you will have a host of issues, that changing the battery will NOT resolve.

To agree, Yes the E46 is sensitive to fluctuating voltage supply, BUT (So is every other car) you really have to look at real statistics here, and I'm not sure what your profession is, or if you spend any time in an actual shop, but I am a 6 year going on 7 BMW Technician for a shop here in Napa (Eurasian Autowerkes), and the Luxury automobile medium in this town is either BMW, Mercedes, then Audi, Porsche and the list trails on down!

I can say that a faulty/worn battery contributes to 2% of NO START issues, the remaining 98% is claimed by Crank sensors, and fuel supply (pump, rely, filter) and then Charging system.

As for the "Chasing ghosts" comment........there are never Ghosts when it comes to a no start issue, (unless you want to get into wiring) either the car starts or it doesn't, and when that happens, you check for Fuel, Spark, and charging system, The only time I have ever had an issue with "Chasing" a No Start problem, was actually with my "92" E36 325i.......If someone can tell me why the quotes on the year are relevant, they get a prize!! and of course my E28 and the infamous Motronic Control Unit going bad intermittently....... The E36 however is the E46's predecessor and well some of those Design flaws are going to be inherited on some level which that has been the case with the Rear Sub frame Failures, Fuel supply issues, and Engine Management sensors!

I say, listen to those that stick with the Stats.......and less on their own experience with their own vehicle, because keep in mind (Not everyone takes care of their BMW in the same manner that you might)

If you look at "My Garage" I have many pictures of my current BMW's.........The E28 I'm quite proud of as it is to my Knowledge the ONLY Laguna Seca Blue E28 in the world?? ;)

Cheers
It's ALOT more than 2% on this forum. The battery being in the trunk with more than 12 feet of cables to the starter is a definite contributory factor.

·
M535 / 330ci Mpkg
22 Posts
It's ALOT more than 2% on this forum. The battery being in the trunk with more than 12 feet of cables to the starter is a definite contributory factor.
Battery cable system.png

I think you need to look at the attached Image for your own education!

I have no clue where you're getting this 12' of battery cable(s) to the starter "craziness"!!!
E46 Saloon is only 176'' in total length bumper to bumper!!..... that's 14.6 Ft...... And the longest cable which Connects battery in trunk to distribution post is roughly 9.6 feet which has very little effect on BATTERY DRAW! (But Weather, After Market stereo equipment, long periods at rest while you are on supply power, will do it.... I can go on!)

And if you're going to tell me that the main power supply cable is such a problem.....well then you're basically telling me that the Engineers @ BMW have no clue what they are doing, that's complete rubbish.

They work power supply down to mathematics, that's what they get paid to do...... I have NEVER in the 10 years of owning BMW's have ever heard of a Battery Cable Re-call...............

You need to study up on what is called "drop off voltage" if the length of power supply cable generated a drop of in voltage then I would say that you have an argument, BUT it does not! and the cable successfully supply's the correct voltage transfer based on your batteries CCA!

Oh and that's another reason why BMW has various different batteries for various BMW's as per power requirements.

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
2006 530i

Car has been driving great.... Got in to start this morning and everything worked the same.... lights on seats adjusted, but when I turn the key only a low hum under the hood...
car will not start!!!! HELP

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
DEAD BATTERY. Period.

Remember, in contrast with Real Life, car batteries have varying degrees of "DEAD". Dead DEAD is the battery that has ZERO volts across the terminals and remains that way no matter how much charging current you pump across. Presumed DEAD sorta charges after awhile and maybe works for a short time, only to die again. Zombie DEAD is our case here: has 12 volts or more but is so worn out that the internal resistance is off the chart and the thing can't produce any decent amount of current, at least not what a starter expect to be able to do its thing.

Dead things should be placed in a grave and replaced with living things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First thing I would check is your battery- it takes a lot more juice to turn the car over than it does to run the radio and lights. If you have an original battery it may be time for a new one.

There is an intermittent problem with some cars not turning over that I don't think anybody has positively diagnosed, where the car has power, but turning the key doesn't cause it to turn over. Most can get it to turn over after multiple attempts; some have reported that if you just hold the key in the start position for a long enough time (20-30 seconds) it will eventually turn over. My 330 did this a few times over the period of a couple of weeks last summer. For a month or so before that I would quite often get a 1-second or less delay when turning the key. The good(?) news for me was that it just went away after a couple of weeks- I was thinking about getting a starter when it just stopped happening, and hasn't done it since. I found similar reports when trying to figure out what the heck was wrong. Lots of speculation about the key sensor in the column, the battery (mine was brand new), and the starter. So if your battery is good you might just try holding the key on start for a good long time- if it eventually turns over, add yourself to the list.
Mine is doing this same thing just started a couple days ago. It was bad today but after getting it home I've tried it several times and it has started every time. Very strange

·
SifuFreddieLee
1 Posts
Thanks to your post, I was able to get my car to start today when it was having problems, the key was to hold it for 20-30 seconds just like you said.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My X3 had some water leak in through the panoramic sunroof and it collected in the battery compartment in the trunk. We vacuumed the water out, took everything apart, dried it all off, used an air compressor to get out any remaining water, charged the battery overnight, tried to turn it on. All electronics come on, but the engine just clicks but does not turn over. Any suggestions?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,253 Posts
My X3 had some water leak in through the panoramic sunroof and it collected in the battery compartment in the trunk. We vacuumed the water out, took everything apart, dried it all off, used an air compressor to get out any remaining water, charged the battery overnight, tried to turn it on. All electronics come on, but the engine just clicks but does not turn over. Any suggestions?
Yes, try posting this on the correct (X3) Forum !

1 - 20 of 47 Posts