BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I just purchased a 2008 X3 and want to get the aerodynamic kit...so that front, rear and side panels are the same color as my truck.

Does anyone know if these are available as aftermarket pieces or can I only get them through BMW?

Also: heard that people paint the existing plastic panels - anyone have feedback on that option? I hear the color will not match.

I want my car to look like the pics I am attaching!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Photos you've attached are of Aerodynamic kit from BMW, and it's for pre-LCI models only. (2004-2006)
Since you have 2008, you can get the M-sport kit from BMW. All other aftermarkets I've seen so far were for pre-LCI models.

Painting your stock plastic panels would be another option to consider, but you better do a search for reputable bodyshops in your area.
It will require lots of pre-steps before painting, and you usually get what you pay for when it comes to painting. So avoid bodyshops with cheap quotes if possible. :)
Colour matching will depends on what colour your X3 is, but most high quality body shops should have no problem for matching colour.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks new2u - love getting feedback so quickly. So I need to get the M Sport Kit - thanks!

Regarding the painting, my color is Grey Metallic : is it possible to ever really match paint 100% when you car is from 2008? Dont sun and daily wear change the color a bit?

thanks!

·
Registered
172 Posts
thanks new2u - love getting feedback so quickly. So I need to get the M Sport Kit - thanks!

Regarding the painting, my color is Grey Metallic : is it possible to ever really match paint 100% when you car is from 2008? Dont sun and daily wear change the color a bit?

thanks!
NP. :)

I'm not a paint expert, but based on my research and experience, most bodyshops actually mix the painting components based on the current scan result of the actual paint surface of your car. So I doubt it will really matter how old your car's paint has been subjected to normal contamination as long as the paint is original factory colour. Just make sure to find a reputable bodyshop. There should be bodyshops that focus on luxury cars in your area. Since they will likely have more experience in painting BMW Space Gray Metal colour, the result would likely be better than average bodyshops.

·
Registered
1 Posts
damasc, did you get the kit? How much did it run you, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm currently shopping for an X3. But most that I've found do not have the M Sport kit. Would like to get an idea how much it'd cost for the kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.