BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked at the new X3 m40i closely, but haven't yet driven one. I know the engine is superb, as is the car overall. Problem is that owning a '13 X3 3.5i M-Sport, I just can't warm up to the looks of the new m40i. The kidney grilles appear too high and out of proportion, the side profile is more square than sporty, and the rear including the exhausts (even the emblems) just aren't right. BMW has tried to create a mildly downsized X5. I'm back in the market in 1-2 years (unless things start to go wrong with my car), and at this point, I would likely go with a Macan S/GTS either new or lightly used. Is it worth the extra $$? Honestly, I'll drive both before choosing. I have owned both BMW and Porsche and love both. Anyone else have similar feelings about the new m40i? Convince me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Styling has changed.. and not for the better IMHO. But.... but.... BUT, that engine and exhaust are sexual. When you drive put it in sport mode and shut the radio OFF.

The Macan is tight and firm like a refined earlier gen BMW suv.

Glad to see the SQ5 isn’t on your list

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Styling has changed.. and not for the better IMHO. But.... but.... BUT, that engine and exhaust are sexual. When you drive put it in sport mode and shut the radio OFF.

The Macan is tight and firm like a refined earlier gen BMW suv.

Glad to see the SQ5 isn’t on your list
I like the SQ5, but refuse to buy a performance SUV that has the exhaust exiting the underside of the car, with non-functional exhaust tips. Very tacky. New A6 has the same setup. WTF?

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think a drive will be a mind changer ...
I hope so. But here's my concern. I find the sport sets in my X3 to be incredibly comfortable and adjustable. My wife's 340i m-sport seats are hard and I find the seat itself doesn't raise up enough for me. I'm 5'7" and can barely see over the hood. If the X3 m40i seats are hard and not sufficiently adjustable, it just may be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The chair in the G series X3 is different than that of the F series and certainly of an F30.

You’ll find the Vernasca to be a bit more plush (I’m pushing it a little this is still BMW) than the taught nature of the Dakota leather BMWs have been plagued with for decades.

We expect a full report of your findings!

I for one am getting psyched for a Glacier Silver M40i. The lighter colors seem to ‘speak’ to me a bit more with the M sport pkg more than the dark ones. Graph & Sapph seem to get washed out.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Love Glacier Silver. I will try the new leather sport seats in the new m40i. I will say theDakota leather sport seats in my F25 X3 are incredibly comfortable. It***8217;s the padding and the bolsters that make the difference. I will carefully compare the m40i with the Macan S or GTS (with the 18 way leather seats) before making a decision.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have not warmed up to the new X3 yet, perhaps do a tune and suspension upgrade to get some love back in your F25 :)
Probably won't keep the car long enough to make it worthwhile. I will take a serious test drive in the m40i and a Macan, then decide. If I went with the BMW, I would spec it out and buy new; with a Macan, I would look for a very lightly used S or GTS with the 18 way seats and <5000 miles. They're out there.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 11 of 11 Posts