Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked at the new X3 m40i closely, but haven't yet driven one. I know the engine is superb, as is the car overall. I currently own a '13 X3 3.5i M-Sport, which I think is a great looking SUV. I just can't warm up to the looks of the new m40i. The kidney grilles appear too high and out of proportion, the side profile has changed and looks too squarish and less sporty, and the rear including the exhausts (even the emblems) just don't look right to me. BMW has tried to create a somewhat downsized X5. I'm back in the market in about a year (unless things start to go wrong with my car), and at this point, I would likely go with a Macan S/GTS either new or lightly used. I'll drive both before choosing. I have owned both BMW and Porsche and love both. I'm not sure the Macan is worth the extra $$, and I do think the BMW is priced right. Anyone else have similar feelings about the new m40i? I need some convincing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's all subjective. Maybe look into the X4?

Personally, I think the Porsche SUVs (and sedan) look extremely odd. And that the X4/X6 are butt ugly. But that's just me and my personal and subjective opinions. You do you. As for cost, yeah, I could never justify a Porsche. Not when the m40i is so good. To me, the X3 really is a do it all car. The squarish body style (especially the hatch) means it holds a TON more. Handling is amazing, let alone for a high riding SUV. The 8" of clearance is very good even for SUVs nowadays.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's all subjective. Maybe look into the X4?

Personally, I think the Porsche SUVs (and sedan) look extremely odd. And that the X4/X6 are butt ugly. But that's just me and my personal and subjective opinions. You do you. As for cost, yeah, I could never justify a Porsche. Not when the m40i is so good. To me, the X3 really is a do it all car. The squarish body style (especially the hatch) means it holds a TON more. Handling is amazing, let alone for a high riding SUV. The 8" of clearance is very good even for SUVs nowadays.
I agree with you on the Porsche sedans, but I love the look of the Macan. The X4 and X6 would not even be considerations. I will drive the m40i as I understand the car is excellent. I just don't know if I can warm to the looks. I also have some concerns about the hard sport seats - those in my '13 35i m-sport are wonderful, and the 18 way Porsche sport seats are really the gold standard.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
I have looked at the new X3 m40i closely, but haven't yet driven one. I know the engine is superb, as is the car overall. I currently own a '13 X3 3.5i M-Sport, which I think is a great looking SUV. I just can't warm up to the looks of the new m40i. The kidney grilles appear too high and out of proportion, the side profile has changed and looks too squarish and less sporty, and the rear including the exhausts (even the emblems) just don't look right to me. BMW has tried to create a somewhat downsized X5. I'm back in the market in about a year (unless things start to go wrong with my car), and at this point, I would likely go with a Macan S/GTS either new or lightly used. I'll drive both before choosing. I have owned both BMW and Porsche and love both. I'm not sure the Macan is worth the extra $$, and I do think the BMW is priced right. Anyone else have similar feelings about the new m40i? I need some convincing.
I dont think anyone can convince someone on looks. I dont feel at all the way you do, as I really DONT like the look of the X3 model that you have, and conversely I really like the look of the new one (just like I didnt like E series X5s but F15s look decent to me).

I dont think the macan is worth the extra $$ at all. Nice vehicle but I dont feel the porsche SUVs are worth what they charge for them.

We are getting an X3 M40 for my wife. Our ordered car is due to the dealer next week sometime. I think BMW has done an excellent job on the new X3 (and the new X5 honestly, but she wanted to downsize and a loaded X3 is cheaper than a loaded X5, so...).

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had a 2016 X3 35i and when the new generation came out, I wasn***8217;t a big fan of the nickel grill and mirrors. However after a year of seeing them on the road, the look has grown on me. I like the new look now.

After test driving both the X3 30i and M40i, it***8217;s clear to me that the G01 is better in every way over the F25. The M40i is very engaging and a blast to drive.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I dont think anyone can convince someone on looks. I dont feel at all the way you do, as I really DONT like the look of the X3 model that you have, and conversely I really like the look of the new one (just like I didnt like E series X5s but F15s look decent to me).

I dont think the macan is worth the extra $$ at all. Nice vehicle but I dont feel the porsche SUVs are worth what they charge for them.

We are getting an X3 M40 for my wife. Our ordered car is due to the dealer next week sometime. I think BMW has done an excellent job on the new X3 (and the new X5 honestly, but she wanted to downsize and a loaded X3 is cheaper than a loaded X5, so...).
Each to his own on looks (and color for that matter) as they're both subjective. Pontiac Aztec excluded! My brother has a 2018 Porsche Macan Turbo, and as a car guy (and collector) says it's without a doubt the best car he's ever owned. I will drive the m40i and the Macan and see which of them lights me up. Best of luck with your new X3 - reviews on the car are excellent. I'm sure you'll love it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
and the 18 way Porsche sport seats are really the gold standard.
Ooof, yeah, Porsche has wonderful sports seats. The BMW ones aren't horrible or anything. They're just not as comfy as Porsche ones. The side bolsters are perfectly fine. It's the thigh bolsters that bother me. On the X3, if feels like they come to an edge instead of being totally rounded. Digs into my thigh unless I actively press my legs together. Kinda hard to do that while driving. I'm far from a large guy, too.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ooof, yeah, Porsche has wonderful sports seats. The BMW ones aren't horrible or anything. They're just not as comfy as Porsche ones. The side bolsters are perfectly fine. It's the thigh bolsters that bother me. On the X3, if feels like they come to an edge instead of being totally rounded. Digs into my thigh unless I actively press my legs together. Kinda hard to do that while driving. I'm far from a large guy, too.
I find the sport sets in my X3 to be incredibly comfortable and adjustable. My wife's 340i m-sport seats are hard and I find the seat itself doesn't raise up enough for me. I'm 5'7" and can barely see over the hood. If the X3 m40i seats are hard and not sufficiently adjustable, it just may be a deal breaker for me.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Agree with comments on the old vs new X3 looks a personal choice (I was not personally a fan of old model, but the M40 with 21" has a whole different look).
I had a 335I M-Sport AWD with dynamic handling and performance power pack before my M40, and absolutely love the M40's sedan like handling. It is a totally different car than the older X3. If comparing Macon's you need to be in a GTS to equal the M40 performance, a Macon Turbo is a totally different beast and dramatically more expensive than a fully loaded M40 (as is the Macon GTS).
My best friend just traded a 2016 Macon S (went to an AMG GLE 430) which can't touch the performance of an M40; it is also significantly smaller if space is a concern. Drive one properly equipped to really felt; I happen to love the Adaptive Suspension option and 21" wheels.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agree with comments on the old vs new X3 looks a personal choice (I was not personally a fan of old model, but the M40 with 21" has a whole different look).
I had a 335I M-Sport AWD with dynamic handling and performance power pack before my M40, and absolutely love the M40's sedan like handling. It is a totally different car than the older X3. If comparing Macon's you need to be in a GTS to equal the M40 performance, a Macon Turbo is a totally different beast and dramatically more expensive than a fully loaded M40 (as is the Macon GTS).
My best friend just traded a 2016 Macon S (went to an AMG GLE 430) which can't touch the performance of an M40; it is also significantly smaller if space is a concern. Drive one properly equipped to really felt; I happen to love the Adaptive Suspension option and 21" wheels.
I will certainly take the time to test drive the m40i. Perhaps the looks can grow on me. I am concerned about the hard sport seats. As noted, if they're anything like those in my wife's 340i, they're hard, and don't elevate sufficiently for me to get a clear look over the hood. That might be a dealbreaker. I had planned to test drive a Macan GTS as a comparison, knowing that it's significantly more $$, but I think also a better car. Plus, those 18 way sport seats are the best.

Can the 21's on the m40i be ordered with A/S tires (either RF or non RF)? If not, I would be fine with 20's.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
I will certainly take the time to test drive the m40i. Perhaps the looks can grow on me. I am concerned about the hard sport seats. As noted, if they're anything like those in my wife's 340i, they're hard, and don't elevate sufficiently for me to get a clear look over the hood. That might be a dealbreaker. I had planned to test drive a Macan GTS as a comparison, knowing that it's significantly more $$, but I think also a better car. Plus, those 18 way sport seats are the best.

Can the 21's on the m40i be ordered with A/S tires (either RF or non RF)? If not, I would be fine with 20's.
I dont think so... I think the 21s are run flat summer tires. The 21s are also a bit of a strange size (but I like how they look so thats what we ordered).

I am a bit worried about the seats myself, coming from the multi contour X5 seats which are fantastic.

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
I posted on a different thread. I have a Macan S and M40i. Both excellent. As for the X3...I feel it is substantially larger than the last body style...test test and test drive. Be sure you like it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I posted on a different thread. I have a Macan S and M40i. Both excellent. As for the X3...I feel it is substantially larger than the last body style...test test and test drive. Be sure you like it.
You bet. The new X3 seems to now be positioned between the earlier generation X3 and the X5. I will carefully test both the new m40i and the Macan S/GTS before making any purchase.

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
You bet. The new X3 seems to now be positioned between the earlier generation X3 and the X5. I will carefully test both the new m40i and the Macan S/GTS before making any purchase.
As for Macans. The S is a great. The GTS has a few horses more...might have various suspension heights. The interior is knocked out..Controls are accommodating. The size of the Macan is a good balance of car/SUV. Brakes could grab better. The upgraded brakes are way out of prop$rtion. Ventilated seat are very good Good sound system. Go to a Macan forum.... read about the new Macan. Ours is a 2017.

Consider an SQ5. It takes a long to get one. Clean cut but not aggressive looking at all. Audi makes a nice vehicle.

Aside from size...The M40I has some nit picks but it is incredible. Ventilated seats ...not very functional. Sound system is not as good as the 2014 I had. People say the upgrade is not wonderful either. I like safety features, voice controlled Nav, phone, wireless carplay. It is a tank. Exciting to drive unless you're in thick traffic all day or have to go into the city. If you build an M it gets done pretty fast. BMW's are built. My 2014 took a good hit from a red light runner. Bags deployed immediately. BMW assist got right to me...asked if I needed help...they sent police. Not sure if the new Porsche has any emergency assist. Mine 2017 does not. Will never buy a car again without it. Safety first. Safety is everything. One last comment.... RunFlats and spare are the best insurance a car can have. Regardless of other opinions of RunFlats I enjoy the peace of mind.
Good luck...either is fun to own/drive.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As for Macans. The S is a great. The GTS has a few horses more...might have various suspension heights. The interior is knocked out..Controls are accommodating. The size of the Macan is a good balance of car/SUV. Brakes could grab better. The upgraded brakes are way out of prop$rtion. Ventilated seat are very good Good sound system. Go to a Macan forum.... read about the new Macan. Ours is a 2017.

Consider an SQ5. It takes a long to get one. Clean cut but not aggressive looking at all. Audi makes a nice vehicle.

Aside from size...The M40I has some nit picks but it is incredible. Ventilated seats ...not very functional. Sound system is not as good as the 2014 I had. People say the upgrade is not wonderful either. I like safety features, voice controlled Nav, phone, wireless carplay. It is a tank. Exciting to drive unless you're in thick traffic all day or have to go into the city. If you build an M it gets done pretty fast. BMW's are built. My 2014 took a good hit from a red light runner. Bags deployed immediately. BMW assist got right to me...asked if I needed help...they sent police. Not sure if the new Porsche has any emergency assist. Mine 2017 does not. Will never buy a car again without it. Safety first. Safety is everything. One last comment.... RunFlats and spare are the best insurance a car can have. Regardless of other opinions of RunFlats I enjoy the peace of mind.
Good luck...either is fun to own/drive.
I've owned a number of Audis and like the brand. The SQ5 would be third on my list of preferences for an SUV. I can't get past the exhaust exiting the underside of the car, rather than via the exhaust tips, which are dummies on this car (new A6 as well). WTH?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm a huge Porsche fan, but their cars are overpriced, no other way to say it. Value wise for the performance between the Macan and M40i it's no contest, M40i wins. I also find the Macan's cargo hold to be too small.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
I'm a huge Porsche fan, but their cars are overpriced, no other way to say it. Value wise for the performance between the Macan and M40i it's no contest, M40i wins. I also find the Macan's cargo hold to be too small.
Totally agree. Tried speccing a Macan S (not even GTS) and I was at $67k and had barely added any options. For $67k I could get every option i'd ever want on the x3. And I actually prefer the design and interior of the x3.

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
My wife and I just picked up her new 2019 X3 M40i and, as others have said, its an amazing car. I feel like we upgraded from her 2016 X5d, even though we went "down" a level from X5 to X3. It feels more like an M5 vs M3 type thing where the M3 is not a downgrade from the M5, just a different car. The new X3 is super nice, and I am not missing any luxury, even though the X5 we had was almost 76k msrp, and this X3 almost fully loaded was MSRP 68k.

It drives AWESOME (like really awesome... might be too "racy" for some), and looks very nice both inside and out.

·
My M...not Hers
1,159 Posts
My wife and I just picked up her new 2019 X3 M40i and, as others have said, its an amazing car. I feel like we upgraded from her 2016 X5d, even though we went "down" a level from X5 to X3. It feels more like an M5 vs M3 type thing where the M3 is not a downgrade from the M5, just a different car. The new X3 is super nice, and I am not missing any luxury, even though the X5 we had was almost 76k msrp, and this X3 almost fully loaded was MSRP 68k.

It drives AWESOME (like really awesome... might be too "racy" for some), and looks very nice both inside and out.
Congrats.... Enjoy and be safe in your new Executive SUV SLEEPER!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Sounds like a great car! Use it well. Please comment on the front seat comfort/hardness, adjustability (height, bolsters, etc.). Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts