Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am driving BMW X5 40e 2017
Today I receive a call from dealer informing myself about recall for my car which is required software update.
I was searching internet trying to find what’s going on.
I customized idrive system and afraid to loose it
Does anybody knows what is this recall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am driving BMW X5 40e 2017
Today I receive a call from dealer informing myself about recall for my car which is required software update.
I was searching internet trying to find what’s going on.
I customized idrive system and afraid to loose it
Does anybody knows what is this recall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Very likely it is the mandatory one regarding possible engine detonation (timing too advanced) which causes engine knock. Not as catastrophic as it sounds, but could be eventually.

They will completely re-flash the ECU so any custom coding you have done will be erased unfortunately.

There are some folks saying they feel it reduces the power, for me I didn't notice any reduction, but it did seem to improve the smoothness of the engine re-engaging (almost imperceptible now). I tend to think the perception of reduced power is just from the car resetting the learned driver patterns.

Specific thread on this recall (assuming its the same one) from here http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037329&highlight=40e+recall

Good luck.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was driving home one night at 2am on the freeway going about 70. A semi was merging from an on ramp and I mashed the gas and switched lanes to pass it. The car started shudder, and wouldn’t stop unless I hit certain speeds. All the bells were going off telling me it was safe to drive but go slow etc. I pulled off the freeway and turned the car off and then back on. The car was back to normal but reported no battery power at all left.

When I brought it in they said (and documented) that my issue was caused by the problem they were fixing. It sucked, I think that they didn’t have all the timings right and the electric engine could run out of juice and not know it.

I’ve had no issues since the update, but feel the battery lasts just slightly less.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts