Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Are there any chances that X5 will get Cali carpool sticker? My wife is currently driving electric MB and her lease will be up in less than one year.

It is a bit mystery for me, why 530e is on the list for stickers and 330e / 40e are not. 5 series is a nice car, but I would prefer to get X5 as this is a better value IMO.

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/carpool/carpool.htm

If we go with 530e, probably we would do European Delivery, as we are planning to be in Europe anyway.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,882 Posts
I "think" that it has to do with electric range but I am not sure. I would imagine that if it doesnt have the sticker now, it wont get it unless it gets more electric only range (battery size?) in a G version of the car.

So if you are getting it this year, its likely that the answer is no.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I believe 530e has MPGe around 72, and X5 40e has 56. I'm not sure how CA runs their restricted program. I believe this range can play the big role here.

In NY, I got the small incentive when buying the Plug-in hybrid X5 40e, but I can't get the sticker for HOV, either.

·
Do You Smell That?
423 Posts
I "think" that it has to do with electric range but I am not sure. I would imagine that if it doesnt have the sticker now, it wont get it unless it gets more electric only range (battery size?) in a G version of the car.

So if you are getting it this year, its likely that the answer is no.
This is correct. IIRC the old standard was 12 miles electric only and the new standard, as of last November, is 20 miles electric only.

I believe 530e has MPGe around 72, and X5 40e has 56. I'm not sure how CA runs their restricted program. I believe this range can play the big role here.

In NY, I got the small incentive when buying the Plug-in hybrid X5 40e, but I can't get the sticker for HOV, either.
That's not range but gov't estimates of combined MPGs for a tank of fuel and plugging in frequently.

·
Registered
231 Posts
... That's not range but gov't estimates of combined MPGs for a tank of fuel and plugging in frequently.
This MPGe, mpg-equivalent thing, does confuse me. :cry:

Isn't it the term, similar to MPG, that EPA converts the EV to the conventional power in order to show a measure of the average distance traveled per unit of energy consumed?

MPGe 56 is also about 1.66 miles per kWh?

·
Do You Smell That?
423 Posts
This MPGe, mpg-equivalent thing, does confuse me. :cry:

Isn't it the term, similar to MPG, that EPA converts the EV to the conventional power in order to show a measure of the average distance traveled per unit of energy consumed?

MPGe 56 is also about 1.66 miles per kWh?
When you understand it, let me know. In the real world I have a 39mpg average over almost 6 months.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
the X5 will not qualify... has to do with the emissions. 530e is the newest PHEV and BMW decided to update the emissions to meet the CARB requirements for green sticker.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts