BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I became a BMW fan during my summer internships with IBM in Stuttgart in the 70’s and have owned the brand for 45 years.

My cars have always had technical issues like the sunroof never opening properly or the gas gauge never working, even when bought brand new; but I never experienced a complete electronic failure resulting in total inability of the car to respond or start with less than 200 miles on it. The SOS BMW Tech diagnosed the problem remotely as a failure of the Body Domain Controller, a part which is not even stocked in any US location, and may take several weeks to obtain.

This is fundamentally a design problem caused by a race to add electronics and software to the ultimate driving machine at the expense of reliability. My current 2013 X5 has far less electronics or software and, I now realize, is far superior to the new 2021 model. This is not a recipe for success for an iconic automobile brand that has produced some great cars.

Beyond the above system failure, the product managers for the X5 have made some extraordinary bundling choices in their add-on packages. For example, you cannot add a heads-up display without adding 7 other features including gesture control and LED roof lighting. The former lets you move your finger in front of the central console to manage some functions e.g. rotate finger clockwise to increase the speaker volume and anti-clockwise to reduce it instead of using the volume controls available on the steering wheel right next to your fingers. The LED roof lighting lights up the Panoramic moonroof with a choice of six different colors depending on your mood preference. You cannot get a heads-up display without paying for these additional “features”.

This is product management at its worst in my opinion. Fortunately, I have returned the 2021 with gesture control, LED roof lighting, massage seats, bi-color wheels and more as I had not yet paid for it; but am wondering if the 2022 model will be any better.

That is my experience, let me know if you think this is unfair!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
Ship Captain of the Ever Given
2,040 Posts
It’s an opinion so I can’t say it’s unfair.
That being said I really like the G05 and it’s pushing the limits of technology. Sometimes that comes with hiccups. The BDC you described is actually an attempt to consolidate and eliminate several modules by combining functions into 1 unit. It’s not common at all to have a total BDC failure but I imagine it happens. I feel like when you buy the latest that BMW has to offer then you also expect there to be some irregularities. The fact that the part can’t be ordered or not available isn’t fully BMWs fault right now as there’s no warehouse workers, truck driver shortage, chip shortage and it’s tough to get overseas shipments right now. That being said I would expect a car with 200 miles to not fail. I can promise you that buying back a car is not something BMW enjoys so that should provide a bit of satisfaction as your opinions on the car were heard loud and clear. Now back to G05, I’m not sure people understand what they are driving really. People see the fancy led sunroof and butt massagers and creature comforts but what people don’t realize is that G05 was basically the flagship now for technology when it came out. I know the 7 is technically the flagship but G05 was radically different and incorporated systems most people have no idea about such as DSCi, facial recognition to name a few. G05 was a big step to the next level of autonomy for BMW. I think they got a lot right with the vehicle but the unfortunate incident with the BDC could definitely sour someone. I still enjoy the brand and it’s technology and personally think G05 is a great ride and probably wouldn’t hesitate to buy one if I needed an SUV.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,356 Posts
RWD I assume?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts