BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 BMW X5 with comfort access. Even though the comfort access works perfectly on the doors, i was never able to make the liftgate open with the kick motion since i had the car almost a year ago. I dont see anything like a sensor under the rear bumper when i put the car on the lift. Where is the sensor located? Or what does make it work? What am i doing wrong? Thank you

·
What was that?
972 Posts
I have a 2012 BMW X5 with comfort access. Even though the comfort access works perfectly on the doors, i was never able to make the liftgate open with the kick motion since i had the car almost a year ago. I dont see anything like a sensor under the rear bumper when i put the car on the lift. Where is the sensor located? Or what does make it work? What am i doing wrong? Thank you
Are you sure the car has the leg motion function? I don't believe it does...

Are you able to open the lift gate with the remote button or with your hand pressing the button under the gate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,622 Posts
I know the Ford Escape has that feature...but leafing through the 2012 X5 owners manual for confirmation that the X5 doesn't have this feature...I'm not finding that option listed. :dunno:

If your X5 is optioned with the automatic tailgate option...you press the appropriate button on the remote fob and it will open...if you don't have the auto tailgate...then you press the button to unlock the tailgate...then you have to lift it manually.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
E70 X5 and current model of X5 do not have this foot-activated lift gate opening as per dealer.
It is possible that it could be different depending on the region.

·
Registered
7,810 Posts
The E70 never had the option to open tailgate with foot motion. There is no "lift gate issue".

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
76 Posts
As an aside, do yourself a favor and have some local guy do some coding for you. He can get the lift gate to close from inside the vehicle and from your key fob along with many other changes for under $100. Ridiculous that they didn't set if up that way from the factory.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,914 Posts
Ridiculous that they didn't set if up that way from the factory.
No. There is a whole department devoted to avoiding excess liability. BMW would be at fault if a remotely commanded shut liftgate hit or pinched someone.

That it can be coded remotely shut is their gift. If they were serious there would not even be that capability.

·
Registered
76 Posts
This has been discussed before. So Toyota must be dummies. My Seinna's lift gate goes down using these same methods and plenty of other manufactures vehicles have these functions. If there is something in the way of it closing it goes back up.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 105K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
19,914 Posts
No. TOYOTA are appliances.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,548 Posts
No. There is a whole department devoted to avoiding excess liability. BMW would be at fault if a remotely commanded shut liftgate hit or pinched someone.

That it can be coded remotely shut is their gift. If they were serious there would not even be that capability.
Isnt it coded so in markets outside NA?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts