BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I had a radio system in my bmw x5 e53 and a friend of mine gave me a navigation system

Well basically my BMW X5 E53 doesnt have these connectors.

But it has this connector so i need an adapter to convert it to the photo above or a solution so i can go ahead and install it.

(this is the adapter i bought which is wrong but i need this adapter with the connection to the white and blue connectors in the second photo.

Thanks so much, i hope you understand this haha_a2_

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am pretty new to this, so forgive me, but i think there are other pieces to the unit - in the back, in the trunk where those harnesses come from. There also has to be a GPS antenna involved etc...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yeah, the piece in the dash is only the "mouse". The computer "tower" is scattered between the wheel well and battery compartment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am pretty new to this, so forgive me, but i think there are other pieces to the unit - in the back, in the trunk where those harnesses come from. There also has to be a GPS antenna involved etc...
Can i just remove those "other pieces" so i can input the navigation at the front?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can i just remove those "other pieces" so i can input the navigation at the front?
It is where the brains of the unit is, I think. Imagine like the other poster said the head unit (the front) is just the keyboard and mouse and the actual computer part is in the trunk.

·
Registered
12,818 Posts
If you had the MID or IRIS set-up...to install Navigation...requires a different harness that runs from the back cargo area up to the front.

One of the biggest things is the radio. When you have navigation...the radio module is in the back along with the CD changer & Nav CPU etc...and again, you need a totally different wiring harness to run to the front.

The IRIS & MID radio setups...the radio is incorporated into the in-dash cassette or in-dash CD player.

This upgrade/modification should be pretty well documented on lots of BMW (nav) forums...with pics and explanation of how to run the new harness etc.

Good luck. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts