Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have a BMW X5 2005. Yesterday, it would't start in the evening. Battery is good, starter motor seems to be functioning, but not turning over the engine. On the dash, the Battery Light is red, the Oil Light is red, and the Check Engine Light is on. The lights were not on previously.

I've had no issues with the car in the past. No bad engine sounds leading up to this. The temp was about 10 degrees F. Any ideas on what could be going on?

Thanks in Advance for any ideas!
Ben

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,462 Posts
starter motor seems to be functioning, but not turning over the engine.
A starter motor without load spins wildly, ~10,000 RPM. The solenoid should push the pinion into engagement with the flywheel at the same time as it energizes the motor.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hello!

I have a BMW X5 2005. Yesterday, it would't start in the evening. Battery is good, starter motor seems to be functioning, but not turning over the engine. On the dash, the Battery Light is red, the Oil Light is red, and the Check Engine Light is on. The lights were not on previously.

I've had no issues with the car in the past. No bad engine sounds leading up to this. The temp was about 10 degrees F. Any ideas on what could be going on?

Thanks in Advance for any ideas!
Ben
When you say your battery is "good", how did you test it to confirm it is in fact "good"?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts