BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 1.9 automatic and when I press on the gas, either shifting gears or accelerating, there is a high pitched noise (wheee), but not very loud--just loud enough to be irritating. The noise stops after a few seconds when speed levels out. You can't even hear the noise if the radio is on. Any suggestions on what this might be and how it can be fixed? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
A parking brake cable might be out of its retaining clip and rubbing on a halfshaft. I haven't had this problem but some others have.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi

No it is pretty constant and it comes when i press the gas pedal and release it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks - i will check this but i doubt this is the problem.

·
S52
69 Posts
I had this issue once with my 2001 3.0ic, but oddly the source of my problem was the radio, believe it or not. Feedback radiated from the speakers at such low volume I could quite pin-point where it was coming from. You might want to try pulling the radio from the harness and doing a hard rest. Then, remove the self volume adjuster (volume automatically adjusts when acceleration increases). I forgot how this was done actually. From what I remember it required me to input my radio's serial number followed by a particular button combination to which removed the self adjusting volume control. Problem fixed. Sorry for the lack-luster explanation. It's been many years since I performed this function. I'm sure there is someone here that has detailed instructions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi

I talked to a mechanic today and he believed it was the rear axel drive since this should be a well know problem for z3 when they pass 100.000 km.

He recommended to infuce some speciel thik oil for transmission - i cant remember the name but it was pretty expensice 30 usd for 150 ml. I tried to infuce with a oil pump but that was a no do. Next week I will try to raise the back and infuce directly from the tube.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi

It is the differential.

Is there any special methods to change the oil like for the transmission - should it be warm etc.?

·
Still Cruisin'
413 Posts
Hi

It is the differential.

Is there any special methods to change the oil like for the transmission - should it be warm etc.?
It will flow easier when it's warm. I wouldn't do it with it hot, though.

Nothing special about changing the differential lube. Get the car up on four jackstands, make sure it's level. I always remove the fill plug first-it kind of sucks when you dump the oil out of the drain plug without doing so, then find out you can't get the fill plug out.

Anyway, get the fill plug out, remove the drain plug. The fluid will come out fast, so make sure your catch pan is where it needs to be. Let it drain, replace fill plug with new washer. Load up your pump with fluid (I use Redline 75W90) and pump it in. The level is correct when fluid starts spilling out the fill hole. Screw in the fill plug with a new washer, torque both plugs up, get the car off the jackstands, and go have fun.

I can't remember the hex size you'll need-I just did my 325xi, and I think it's 17mm. Could be wrong there. On the Z, there is a clearance issue with one of the plugs, and I had to drive the key out of the socket and attach a box end wrench to the key. On the 325 there are no clearance issues-everything is easily accessible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi thanks

What happens when you only raise the back of the car when you filled it again - can you fill it with to much?

·
Registered
767 Posts
It can be done on the ground with the spare tire carrier removed from the car. The hex size socket is not a common size, so make sure you have the right one before you start. I use Royal Purple.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi

Thanks for the advise. I have bought hex and new gaskets so I am ready to go tomorrow.

I will document the project for others.

I believe it is the same oil as for the transmission - like castrol dexron III.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts