BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have scoured the forums and called all of my local BMW service people in San Diego looking to answer my question with no avail so I hope someone can answer this question.

I have the standard iPod integration kit from BMW installed on my Z4, from my understanding it plugs into the CD changer port on the back of the Business CD Radio (I have the DSP premium audio without navigation). Is it possible to also have the AUX connection kit installed as well? Meaning I want to have both the iPod kit and the Aux port together being able to switch between the two?

I see that the original aux kit from BMW required access to a port on the back of the Radio as well and was concerned that the iPod kit already occupied this space, can I splice together both harnesses to achieve what I want? Or should I be looking at a DICE or other interface device that supplies both the iPod integration and Aux port on the same unit?

Any feedback\answer would be helpful
Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Found the answer

So I just spoke with a BMW service manager, apparently the aux input connector uses the same port as the CD changer or Ipod connection kit and will not be able to use both at the same time. As a result im back to square one, I may look for a DICE adapter that give me both an iPod and AUX output in the same interface module however I need to find one that works with the DSP Radio

·
Registered
2006 Z4 M Imola/Black
1,424 Posts
I think you would have to swap out to another product to get what you want. I would recommend the USA Spec unit(USA SPEC PA12-BMW Interface Adapter) as it is relatively cheap($135) and will give you exactly what you ask for. As an aside, I have the exact same setup as you(BMW iPod integration and DSP radio sans Nav). Do you have any static between songs? Mine has always had varying degrees of background noise, almost like it isn't hooked up correctly. I took my radio out and checked connections, but everything looks as it should. From what I understand the DICE will be more problematic. I have considered switching to the USA Spec myself as it supposedly shows track info on the Business screen which I would love to have.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you would have to swap out to another product to get what you want. I would recommend the USA Spec unit(USA SPEC PA12-BMW Interface Adapter) as it is relatively cheap($135) and will give you exactly what you ask for. As an aside, I have the exact same setup as you(BMW iPod integration and DSP radio sans Nav). Do you have any static between songs? Mine has always had varying degrees of background noise, almost like it isn't hooked up correctly. I took my radio out and checked connections, but everything looks as it should. From what I understand the DICE will be more problematic. I have considered switching to the USA Spec myself as it supposedly shows track info on the Business screen which I would love to have.
Hey Chickdr,

Thanks for the reply, I wish I would have seen this before returning the Belkin Bluetooth adapter I bought for the AUX jack lol (I got it on a one day sale amazon had for %50 off) :mad:

In regards to the static you mention, yes I have heard it however it's very quiet on my adapter so you really have to listen for the hiss, it's there but not to discernible\annoying. I believe what you're hearing is what's referred to as ground loop interference, I would tell you to check the connections to make sure everything is secure and properly taped up but since you did that it maybe internal to your setup? It maybe worth while to recheck the actual interface device itself and make sure the connections are solid and maybe wiggle some connections to see if this exacerbates\relieves some of the noise then you know where the bad ground is. I have also noticed when I plug in an 12v to 5v iPod 30pin dock converter (it allows you to charge newer iPods and iPhones in that connector) it makes the problem worse so make sure you don't have a faulty converter if you have one.

·
Registered
2006 Z4 M Imola/Black
1,424 Posts
I actually went so far as to find another used OEM kit to swap out with the one I had. No dice. I guess I could fully remove it and reinstall, but that seems like a pain in the butt. The USA Spec connector resides in the trunk unlike the BMW kits dash location. I would suspect you will get a lot better quality sound by using a cable to the Aux-in rather than a BT connection. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, The bluetooth portion was meant to add a hands free element that i did not have in my Z4 originally. It's kind of weird because my car was the first year of development it has the spaces and fuses and wiring for the bluetooth, folding mirrors and a couple other things (steering wheel controls as well) but they did not offer them at that time. So now I have to go aftermarket to get the goodies I never was able to get. I also was looking at replacing the whole stereo system as well, but all of the head units being manufactured today look butt ugly in that weird space the radio occupies.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts