Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See this link:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9567&highlight=Clear+coat

Hblair was correct, BMWNA rep said "Yes, some paint codes do not have clear coats, contact your local BMW dealership and give them your paint code, they can tell you if you have a clear coat or not..."

You'll have to take my word on this, as it *was* a phone call, not an official letter.

Hblair, I stand corrected! (Incidently, she did NOT identify which colors, though all the 3-series DO come with a clear coat)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mystikal said:
Didn't we solve this? That 415 code was used only on the MUCH older models, i.e. last used on the E30. :dunno:
Solve it? No... it seems you all got together and agreed you couldn't possibly be wrong.

Big difference.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mystikal said:
Didn't we solve this? That 415 code was used only on the MUCH older models, i.e. last used on the E30. :dunno:
According to BMWNA, not all new BMW's have a clear coat. That was the extent of the conversation basically (except what I posted above)

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
AKDejaVu said:
Solve it? No... it seems you all got together and agreed you couldn't possibly be wrong.

Big difference.
Huh? After observing the codes (and the fact that the board member's red cars have the code 314 and NOT 415, we consluded that it was only the older models that were missing the clearcoat. This is evident by looking at say my dad's 415 1991 325is.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Ripsnort said:

According to BMWNA, not all new BMW's have a clear coat. That was the extent of the conversation basically (except what I posted above)
Okay, and the bright red used from 1999-on is 314, which even in the shop's books is indicated as having a clearcoat.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Red wasn't the only color in question, the original question was "Do all new BMW's have a clear coat"...the answer, according to BMWNA, is NO!

Come on guys, lets keep the flame fest down, especially you Deja!

Just reporting what they told me.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Ripsnort said:
Bright Red BMW 3 series have no clear coat?

A friend in AL said its a "415 single stage thru 2002", meaning no clear coat...thats BS...I've seen bright red in person, it has a clear coat...
THAT was the original post. The question sort of branched off, but I was just debating that.

:angel:

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mystikal said:

THAT was the original post. The question sort of branched off, but I was just debating that.

:angel:
No, the original arguement was:

Code 438 Japanrot, Code 415 Hellrot, Code 314 Bright red are all showing as not being a clearcoat color. I have
personally repaired dents on late model bimmers that had only factory paint on them and DID NOT have a
clearcoat. The vast majority of bimmers have a clearcoat, but not all, and that is a fact.
My initial post was asking a general question, and "red" is as about as general as you get.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Ripsnort said:

My initial post was asking a general question, and "red" is as about as general as you get.
The original argument is what is posted first as a question, or at least that's what I assume.

Your original post used the terms "bright red" "3 series" and "415", so I don't see how that is very general.

Regardless, all I know is that it is proven that all current E46 Bright Red's have clearcoats. That I am satisfied with, because that was all that we were arguing IMO.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hblair:"All BMW's clearcoated since '93? I don't care if you get a letter of confirmation from the CEO of BMW saying that, it's just not true. "

In this case Hblair was correct, as in the case of 314 color, he was wrong. So everyone wins IMO ;)(Except the losers who had to sling insults in that thread)

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Ripsnort said:
Hblair:"All BMW's clearcoated since '93? I don't care if you get a letter of confirmation from the CEO of BMW saying that, it's just not true. "

In this case Hblair was correct, as in the case of 314 color, he was wrong. So everyone wins IMO ;)(Except the losers who had to sling insults in that thread)
I don't know...Hblair was the first idiot to start slinging INSULTS in that thread. I have been backing up everything I said with experience working on my wife's paint, and her car HAS clear coat.

I wouldn't have any problem accepting what he has to say at face value. I WOULD have problem if what he has to say comes with an insult. I say good riddence to that guy, I hope he never comes back here and I don't give a rat's *ss about what he has to say.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
The HACK said:

I don't know...Hblair was the first idiot to start slinging INSULTS in that thread. I have been backing up everything I said with experience working on my wife's paint, and her car HAS clear coat.

I wouldn't have any problem accepting what he has to say at face value. I WOULD have problem if what he has to say comes with an insult. I say good riddence to that guy, I hope he never comes back here and I don't give a rat's *ss about what he has to say.
I agree! Anyone that says "I don't care if the CEO of BMW tells me I know better" that's just plain ignorance.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The HACK said:

I don't know...Hblair was the first idiot to start slinging INSULTS in that thread.
You think this was an insult?

"Do I really have to bend over backwards to convince a posse of auto-detailers of my knowledge?"

To me, it sounded like too many Typical Male Ego's in one room, a sure no-no.

I was trying to get to the bottom of this, while y'all were seeing who had the biggest pecker.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Ripsnort said:

"Do I really have to bend over backwards to convince a posse of auto-detailers of my knowledge?"
I'd say "Yup!" Who is he but a disconnected person on a keyboard. He is such and "Expert" but didn't have a clue which brand of paint BMW uses.

He also berated us as "detailers" and "Fanatics".
One thing about a fanatic, they know their stuff on the thing they are fanatical about. HACK and others have probably forgotten more about BMWs then he ever knew.

If he claims to be an EXPERT he darn sure better exhibit it. It took one of US to point out a mistake HE didn't catch in HIS paintbooks.

And I don't personally car how many times he threw out "I'm painting a Porsche right now", big deal!

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Ripsnort said:

To me, it sounded like too many Typical Male Ego's in one room, a sure no-no.

I was trying to get to the bottom of this, while y'all were seeing who had the biggest pecker.
I don't care if he's your friend, and I don't care who's got the bigger pecker, as you put it. I stated that when I was working on my wife's BRIGHT RED E46, there's clearly a coat of clear coat. I was stating what I've found and my personal experience, and his response to my post was derogatory.

I'm not going to dig up that thread again. For a "professional" he certainly wasn't acting like one.

And thank you for getting to the bottom of this. At least you've objectively tried to present your findings rather than dissing other's opinion before yours.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The HACK said:

That pretty much says it all. Calls me an idiot and his credentials are what? waxing his wifes car? Heh!
Take that as an insult if ya like.

BTW, just because a color appears on a PPG or sherwin williams chip book as being single stage does not mean every single auto painted by a manufacturer using that code utilizes a single stage paint system. We have run into a color in the past that was that way on a lexus. That could possibly be the case with the code 314 BMW. I don't have evidence supporting that and am not going to research it because what's the point really? PPG knows WTF they're doing with their chipbooks and they're not as prone to errors as some here would like them to be.

BTW Rip, nice of you to make this post. Amazing at the flak you can take just for postinf facts huh? It's no news to me because I've seen these paint systems with my own eyes, maybe someone here will listen to you.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hblair said:

BTW Rip, nice of you to make this post. Amazing at the flak you can take just for postinf facts huh? It's no news to me because I've seen these paint systems with my own eyes, maybe someone here will listen to you.
Thanks Hblair, this was all intended to be a fact gathering post, but I digress...some of the members of this board should really be ashamed. :(

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
IMO, I've concluded that the FACT is, NOBODY is absolutely correct WRT this whole thing.

BMW is wrong, the posters are wrong, the paint chip books are wrong, its all WRONG. There are no FACTS here at all.

There. :tsk: :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 135 Posts