Bimmerfest BMW banner

301 - 320 of 486 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is yours a N26 registered in a PZEV state? If so valve cover and vanos should be covered for 15 years/150k miles. Do check that out as that can save $2300.

Your dealer offers TC fix for $2800($5500 - $2300 vanos and valve cover), the judgement call is whether BMWNA settles to cover this 100% without sliding scale or not.

If dealer is OK with free storage(with written agreement) of the car till settlement, then it may be a viable option, assuming there is alternate transportation.
no im in FL. i approved the repair but havnt paid or picked it up yet. i asked for invoice 12pm friday and they said would take several hours to do so, they told me at 5pm still not ready and will be monday. taking them longer to create the invoice then to do the repair., makes me think something is up behind the scenes there. currently owe $2300 and scheduled to pickup monday via tow. was going to tow to indy, but thinking i am going to park it at my house. ill look into seeing if they will park it until settlement at dealer although i dont like the thought of that.

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #302 (Edited)
no im in FL. i approved the repair but havnt paid or picked it up yet. i asked for invoice 12pm friday and they said would take several hours to do so, they told me at 5pm still not ready and will be monday. taking them longer to create the invoice then to do the repair., makes me think something is up behind the scenes there. currently owe $2300 and scheduled to pickup monday via tow. was going to tow to indy, but thinking i am going to park it at my house. ill look into seeing if they will park it until settlement at dealer although i dont like the thought of that.
OK $5500-$2300=$3200, a bit steep compared to $2000 indy price. for TC job.

My guess is that dealer tech had not reassembled valve cover yet when TC job was negotiated($6650 to $5500). The reduced labor of $1150 on TC job is due to valve cover already removed.

Foreman also may need to document diagnosis, and that may be beneficial for subsequent claim to BMWNA.

Is there any explanation why the engine stalls?

·
Registered
11 Posts
OK $5500-$2300=$3200, a bit steep compared to $2000 indy price. for TC job.

My guess is that dealer tech had not reassembled valve cover yet when TC job was negotiated($6650 to $5500). The reduced labor of $1150 on TC job is due to valve cover already removed.

Foreman also may need to document diagnosis, and that may be beneficial for subsequent claim to BMWNA.

Is there any explanation why the engine stalls?
i would have thought valve cover needs to be put back on before attempting starting engine no? they pitched as doing me a favor to discount the labor for TC so as to not charge me twice for dis/reassemble of valve cover. they only said the timing chain stretched and is why it needs replaced. they didnt comment and i didnt ask why it stalled, i assumed if timing slips that would stall it. i will ask and relay what they say.

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #304
This TC issue really is tarnishing an otherwise great BMW engine and a great bimmer that seems to have minimal maintenance and repair bills, e.g. local indies rarely see any issue other than routine maintenance(oil, brake fluid, brakes, etc, etc).

Dealer SA said my OFHG is sipping, but trusted indy said just leave it alone. In fact both SAs and trusted indies say this N20/N26 is quite boring as far as repairs go, and even ZF 8AT shifts just fine with no ZF fluid service past 100k+ miles.

Hopefully BMWNA just steps up and offer 15 years/150000 miles TC warranty, which technically is not much given TC has no service interval to start with.

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #305
This TC issue really is tarnishing an otherwise great BMW engine and a great bimmer that seems to have minimal maintenance and repair bills, e.g. local indies rarely see any issue other than routine maintenance(oil, brake fluid, brakes, etc, etc).

Dealer SA said my OFHG is sipping, but trusted indy said just leave it alone. In fact both SAs and trusted indies say this N20/N26 is quite boring as far as repairs go, and even ZF 8AT shifts just fine with no ZF fluid service past 100k+ miles.

Hopefully BMWNA just steps up and offer 15 years/150000 miles TC warranty, which technically is not much given TC has no service interval to start with.

·
Registered
11 Posts

i received word on good authority it will only be covering up to 100k. i dropped my car in indy shop yesterday and he said id be up and running tomorrow. he said he's done alot and hasnt come across where the engine is blown so im feeling kind of pumped, which i would have just went w this shop i the first place but you live and learn.

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #307 (Edited)
i received word on good authority it will only be covering up to 100k. i dropped my car in indy shop yesterday and he said id be up and running tomorrow. he said he's done alot and hasnt come across where the engine is blown so im feeling kind of pumped, which i would have just went w this shop i the first place but you live and learn.
So extended coverage will be 100k miles then? And unlimited age, or limited to 10 years?

My strategy probably will adapt to the new terms, e.g. if 10 years/100k miles, the car will be kept till end of extended ELW.

It is just somewhat sad not able to bring this N26 to 15 years/150000 miles, since it is probably reliable enough to last that long with minimal issues .... oh well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So extended coverage will be 100k miles then? And unlimited age, or limited to 10 years?

My strategy probably will adapt to the new terms, e.g. if 10 years/100k miles, the car will be kept till end of extended ELW.

It is just somewhat sad not able to bring this N26 to 15 years/150000 miles, since it is probably reliable enough to last that long with minimal issues .... oh well.
i dont know any details beyond 100k. im at 145k so i was REALLY hoping for that 150k. car has run phenomenally up until this issue last week. hoping with new solenoids and chain it runs better than before. going to get a walnut blasting of intake while its in shop as well if engine not blown. t minus 8 hours till im happy again!

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #309
i dont know any details beyond 100k. im at 145k so i was REALLY hoping for that 150k. car has run phenomenally up until this issue last week. hoping with new solenoids and chain it runs better than before. going to get a walnut blasting of intake while its in shop as well if engine not blown. t minus 8 hours till im happy again!
Other festers say latest BMW engines have better PCV design than the past, and carbon buildup is not as big an issue nowadays. Did ur mechanic say your engine needs walnut blasting?

·
Registered
188 Posts

I'm in the same boat with you as far as strategy. My car is just coming up on 6 years and is at a bit over 35,000 miles. As things stand now I have one year left on the existing 7/70,000 warranty. If that doesn't get extended as much as I love the car I'll be off to something else by this time next year.

If the warranty is pushed out to 10 years I'll hang onto the car for another four years. I don't drive it a ton so for me the extra years are more valuable than the milage. Have had almost on problems with it so far- just an occasionally hiccup with the SOS system which I don't have setup anyway.

I have a short of list of replacements in case I have to go that route and if I go with a new vehicle it is unlikely to be a BMW.

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #311
I'm in the same boat with you as far as strategy. My car is just coming up on 6 years and is at a bit over 35,000 miles. As things stand now I have one year left on the existing 7/70,000 warranty. If that doesn't get extended as much as I love the car I'll be off to something else by this time next year.

If the warranty is pushed out to 10 years I'll hang onto the car for another four years. I don't drive it a ton so for me the extra years are more valuable than the milage. Have had almost on problems with it so far- just an occasionally hiccup with the SOS system which I don't have setup anyway.

I have a short of list of replacements in case I have to go that route and if I go with a new vehicle it is unlikely to be a BMW.
What is on your short list of replacements?

Early this year a colleague got a Civic Type R 6MT and it was a fun nimble car with minimal torque steer, that can be my replacement if my N26 blows up. :) It is rumored next genType R will be 395HP in 2022!

·
Registered
188 Posts
What is on your short list of replacements?

Early this year a colleague got a Civic Type R 6MT and it was a fun nimble car with minimal torque steer, that can be my replacement if my N26 blows up. :) It is rumored next genType R will be 395HP in 2022!
I'm in an F34 which is the GT with the hatch. It has been great as I need the rear seat room plus the larger trunk. Great family car.

The upcoming Toyota RAV-4 Prime is very interesting. It isn't going to handle like a BMW but I like the 40+ miles of EV range combine with the reliability of a Toyota. And where I am in southern California the opportunities to enjoy good handling are minimal due to traffic. Impossible to get this calendar year.

The Tesla Model Y is a compelling package if I want to go all EV but I'm very concerned about the legion of fit and finish problems that will come with a Tesla. I won't have a timing chain issue with a Tesla but I sure might have other issues. Their Supercharging network is the only reason I can look at a full EV. Expensive option too. I could get a fully loaded RAV-4 Prime for $10K less.

For Tesla money I could get a new BMW but the only thing that might work is probably an X3 which for whatever reason is not all that interesting to me.

Used I could get another F34. Perhaps jumping up to the inline 6 engine. Always wanted an F31 but I'd give up the rear seat legroom and they seem to command a premium on the secondhand market.

There is no real slam dunk answer for me. For where I am in my life I would love to find a car I can buy and hold for 10 years. I'm not likely to get 10 more years out of my F34. Which is why for the first time in my life I'm seriously looking at Toyota. Before BMW I was a Honda guy but my sense is that they are no longer what they used to be. Of course Toyota isn't Toyota of the 1990s and early 2000s either.

Who knows- perhaps I will end up with a good ultra-proven Toyota for family duties and with the money I save I can pick up a cheap fun car.

But if the court case ends up with more years on the warranty I'll run my current car for a few more years and push the decision down the road.

·
Registered
12,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
But if the court case ends up with more years on the warranty I'll run my current car for a few more years and push the decision down the road.
Yes hopefully the settlement will push out the decision till year 10(or wishfully 15?!?).

Honda had big issue with oil dilution with its latest 1.5L, so yes Honda is not as bulletproof as in the past.

Toyota/Lexus probably is a safe bet, although their styling usually is a bit conservative for my liking ....

Tesla Model Y supposedly is an improvement over S/X/3.

There is a 40-part utube series from Munro talking about Y teardown. Along the way, it becomes apparent what Tesla fans describe as high praise from Munro is really great relief that Tesla gradually started to address nagging issues.

So maybe if settlement is no-go, my choice will still be a German brand like Audi/MB. Porsche can be great too, but the local sales is a bit too snobby to support. :)

Another option is Korean which seems to leapfrog over Japanese in recent years.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes hopefully the settlement will push out the decision till year 10(or wishfully 15?!?).

Another option is Korean which seems to leapfrog over Japanese in recent years.
I'd be really surprised if we got 15. Frankly I'm not even sure we will get anything beyond 7 but I guess we will see. If we get 10 I'll be happy.

I would not consider a 1.5T Honda. Or a CVT equipped one. My wife had a 2013 Accord with the CVT and I hated it. Also the Honda infotainment really sucked. BMW iDrive reminds me of the old saying about Democracy. It is the worst system except for all the others.

The Tesla Model 3 is a pretty good package at the price but is too small for what I need. Haven't driven or even sat in the Y yet but my closest Tesla location just emailed me last week to say they have a Y for test drives now. I have watched some of the Munro videos plus tons of reviews highlighting all the various problems the Y has straight from the factory.

The Toyota/Lexus problem for me is that they drive in a very dull fashion. The recent Lexus front end looks terrible to me. The Koreans certainly have come a long, long way but I'm not sure I'm willing to go that route. The big Palisade/Telluride twins look very sharp but they are probably a bit bigger than I want to go.

I keep coming back to the RAV-4 Prime and the Tesla but I haven't driven either and there are reasons to wait a bit before buying either of them so hopefully the settlement extends my BMW ownership a bit longer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does anyone have experience with aftermarket warranty or maintenance plans? Anyone successfully get coverage over a TC break, from an aftermarket plan?

·
Super Moderator
3,619 Posts
I'd be really surprised if we got 15. Frankly I'm not even sure we will get anything beyond 7 but I guess we will see. If we get 10 I'll be happy.
I would find more years more useful to me than miles. For example, 15 years or 100,000 miles would be worth more to me than 10 years and 175,000 miles.

·
Registered
646 Posts
There is no real slam dunk answer for me. For where I am in my life I would love to find a car I can buy and hold for 10 years. I'm not likely to get 10 more years out of my F34. Which is why for the first time in my life I'm seriously looking at Toyota. Before BMW I was a Honda guy but my sense is that they are no longer what they used to be. Of course Toyota isn't Toyota of the 1990s and early 2000s either.
Our other car (the wife's) is a 2012 Toyota Highlander. It has only 75k miles on the odo but over the last 8.5 years we have had to literally do just a battery replacement and brake job aside from routine maintenance. It has been super reliable. I wish we drove it more, but the BMW is our go-to car for longer trips (110k miles and going strong).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Our other car (the wife's) is a 2012 Toyota Highlander. It has only 75k miles on the odo but over the last 8.5 years we have had to literally do just a battery replacement and brake job aside from routine maintenance. It has been super reliable. I wish we drove it more, but the BMW is our go-to car for longer trips (110k miles and going strong).
Funny you should mention that because I have been kicking around the idea of getting an old Highlander. I was looking actually at either a 2006 or 2007 (last of the 1st generation). I could get one, pay to have a good stereo and sound deadening added and still be in for under $10K. I don't need all the modern electronic stuff beyond bluetooth and a stereo upgrade would solve that problem. I've seen some pop up for sale locally with around 130,000 miles on them and I figure they are good for at least 300,000 if maintained properly.

If I'm willing to pay a bit more a second generation one like you have is a possibility.

It is really tempting to bail out of new car payments, pick up a dead reliable old Toyota for road tripping and then add something like an E30 for fun. Both my wife and I now work at home and did so even before COVID so I don't need a fancy car for commuting or impressing anyone. I might feel different if I was doing 20-30,000 miles a year in the car.

301 - 320 of 486 Posts