1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
+1 Add me to that list!!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I would be pretty surprised if even BMWNA made a sunroof a standard feature on the 1er. This is supposed to be the new "entry level" bimmer.

Have there been any "official" 1er ordering guides published by BMWNA?

-MrB

·
Registered
6 Posts
According to the press release a sunroof will be standard on the 135i

Here's another vote for a sunroof delete.
Mike

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If that's the case, then I would add my name to that petition. The unfortunate reality is that BMWNA will not offer a sunroof delete since they believe that noone in their right mind would want a BMW without a sunroof.

I just read the BMWNA press release on the "Meet 1" minisite and couldn't find any mention of a sunroof. Is there another press release that discusses a standard sunroof?

-MrB

·
Registered
13,798 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
It's probably almost expensive to BMW to have the production process allow the sunroof to be optional, as it would be to just put the damn thing on all the cars. My guess is that there won't be an option.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
It's probably almost expensive to BMW to have the production process allow the sunroof to be optional, as it would be to just put the damn thing on all the cars. My guess is that there won't be an option.
Just to be clear, even if BMWNA mandates a sunroof on the 1er (like it does on the 3er, 5er, 6er, 7er, etc), BMWAG considers it just another option. In this respect, BMWNA acts like a customer ordering a car when they spec out the standard options for US bound vehicles. We are just able to add other options (and the US option packages are just bundles of individual option codes) on top of those as BMW deigns to offer.

Be assured that the rest of the world will be able to spec out a 1er coupe without a sunroof and the BMWAG production/supply chain system will be able to handle it with no trouble whatsoever.

In any event, it's BMWNA that would mandate the sunroof, not BMWAG.

-MrB

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
what the hell is wrong with you people?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Nah, BMW uses JIT manufacturing. Not an issue with cost or complexity.

I would guess the sunroof will be optional to lower the base price as much as possible.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
I wonder if BMW NA likes standard moonroofs cause it makes their leased cars easier to resell?

·
Automotive Supplier
288 Posts
I wonder if BMW NA likes standard moonroofs cause it makes their leased cars easier to resell?
Most people who buy a "luxury" car like to have a sunroof. The Pontiac GTO lost sales from not having one as an option and being a $30k+ car.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Most people who buy a "luxury" car like to have a sunroof. The Pontiac GTO lost sales from not having one as an option and being a $30k+ car.
Is this a Communist country now, where personal choice is eliminated for the benefit of the majority?

I think it's naive to think the standard moonroof is for any reason other than BMW NA's profits.

·
Automotive Supplier
288 Posts
Is this a Communist country now, where personal choice is eliminated for the benefit of the majority?

I think it's naive to think the standard moonroof is for any reason other than BMW NA's profits.
No but BMW has to up that margin somehow.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Oh dear noes, shall I call the waaaambulance?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Just a little curious - why the anti-sunroof chorus?

All I can think of is slightly less headroom and a tiny bit more weight.

That being said, choice is better I guess...

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Just a little curious - why the anti-sunroof chorus?
Because we are enthusiasts. The ones who buy the car for what it can do and not what brand it is. The same folks who kept BMW in business long before they were trendy. So we're a little on the high-maintenance side, but we're worth it :)

1 - 20 of 170 Posts