BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW X5 is the worst car ever owned. I have owned and lived with Peugeot 205GTi, Porsche 944 and Mercedes Benz CLK 4.3l V8 each car for 10 years and hardly opening the bonnet except for servicing.
BMW don’t know how to design cars for the following reason:
1. If you open the bonnet of a car and found the exhaust manifold system at the same side of the engine block as the air-condition system walk away. Because the heat of the exhaust system would roast the refrigerant dry and you would get hot air through the cabin vents on hot sweaty days, not cool air when needed the most. Unless you have stacks of money to spend at the local BMW garage to replenish the refrigerant every 6 months to one year or so, and if overfill you will lose the compressor unit too, with huge replacement bill, look elsewhere. This arrangement is problematic and does not work. Hot and cold parts should be kept separate.
2. Under the bonnet if you find the plastic coolant expansion tank sandwich between a hot metal engine block and the radiator, don’t be shocked because this is how BMW design their cars. Inevitably the plastic expansion tank would burst on a hot summer day and discharge the coolant to the ground below, when you need it the most. The engine would overheat if you continue to drive the car and that means expensive repair bills and replacement of the inaccessible expansion tank at the local BMW shop every year or less.
3. Under the bonnet if you find plastic conduit tubes transferring hot air between exhaust manifold and the secondary air system you might think that is a joke, but that is how BMW design their cars. Cheap and nasty plastic conduit tubes inappropriately used as hot exhaust air ducts. Eventually these plastic tubes in the overheated engine compartment become brittle then break up. Mind you, the local BMW dealership won’t sell you the plastics parts only on its own; you would have to buy the whole secondary air system including the valves as often as possible.
4. BMW engine blocks are the most inefficient on the market. A BMW V6 engine can only manage a jaw dropping 14mpg compare that with a Mercedes V8 doing 22mpg normal driving. The fact is, a third of your fuel bill is wasted in overheating due to the BMW engine. This was clear for all to witness in their disastrous venture into F1 racing when their cars kept overheating and visibly catching fire, a possibility as to why they were forced to pull out of F1 after only a short stint in 2009.
5. Putting the fan and the ridiculous closing fins in front of the radiator is the most pathetic thing to do (this being the only fault rectified in later models) as it leads to unnecessary stress on the fan motor against wind speed resistance and break downs to exacerbate the overheating problem, which makes such cars totally unsuitable for hot environments.
The design flaws revealed above defy common sense and believe to come from a major car manufacture such as BMW is bewildering as complaint are mounting online and elsewhere. May be, BMW believe they are too big to fail and don’t have to listen. Don’t be fooled by the appearance, the brand name and the gimmicks of bright lights and gadgets found on the BMW. Pound for pound you get better value for you money, performance wise and drive quality, in the Porsche or Mercedes. Not all ‘made in Germany’ is what its cracks up to be.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,334 Posts
Not all 'made in Germany' is what its cracks up to be.
Or Ghana for that matter. I have owned Porsche, VW's, SAAB and now BMW and I'd take any over a Trabant from Ghana, or a 'donkey'.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
BMW X5 is the worst car ever owned.....
4. BMW engine blocks are the most inefficient on the market. A BMW V6 engine can only manage a jaw dropping 14mpg compare that with a Mercedes V8 doing 22mpg normal driving.......
Could you be more specific as to which BMW V6 you are referring? I was not even aware that BMW makes a V6. I am familiar with their inline 6 series engines...:dunno:

:drive:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Daft Huffman, your response does not make sense. I don***8217;t know which world you live in or what BMW you drive but maybe we should all keep quiet about why BMW:
1. Cabin vents blow hot air when you turn on A/C for cooling
2. Coolant Expansion Tank burst due to overheating without warning
3. Plastic tubes become brittle and break up in the heat of the engine compartment
4. E46 engine block is appallingly inefficient and environmentally unfriendly
5. Radiator fan in front keep breaking down
6. Doors can***8217;t open and shut without seeing a BMW mechanic twice a year etc.
These defects are peculiar to BMW cars because of design flaws.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,334 Posts
Daft Huffman, your response does not make sense. I don't know which world you live in or what BMW
I live in the First World
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door. Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d (E70)
you drive but maybe we should all keep quiet about why BMW:
1. Cabin vents blow hot air when you turn on A/C for cooling
Mine do not because they are functioning as BMW intended.
2. Coolant Expansion Tank burst due to overheating without warning
Mine has not, it is not a common complaint even among hypersensitive complainers.
3. Plastic tubes become brittle and break up in the heat of the engine compartment
Brittle failure is due to a combination of baking plasticisers out of the plastic and strain. They are not yak gut and must be handled gently.
4. E46 engine block is appallingly inefficient and environmentally unfriendly
Then do us all a favor and stick to your Trabi
5. Radiator fan in front keep breaking down
Again, mine has not yet.
6. Doors can't open and shut without seeing a BMW mechanic twice a year etc.
Mine sees a BMW mechanic about once per year and the doors are fine.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I wonder if it is because Germany is not very hot so they don't pay attention to heat.

In the 1970's and earlier, many European cars had air conditioning that was too weak. They are better now.

In the U.S., there is no Autobahn so some 1980's cars were very slow. Handling is not given a priority either.

As far as in the U.S., I think BMW reliability and design is no worse than Mercedes or Volvo. That is why I am not certain that it is worse in Ghana.

·
Registered
68 Posts
X5 is made in South Carolina, USA. There is also a wheel adjustment to temper hot or cold air on the upper vents (a separate adjustment).

·
Registered
287 Posts
I live in the First WorldMine do not because they are functioning as BMW intended.Mine has not, it is not a common complaint even among hypersensitive complainers.Brittle failure is due to a combination of baking plasticisers out of the plastic and strain. They are not yak gut and must be handled gently. Then do us all a favor and stick to your TrabiAgain, mine has not yet.Mine sees a BMW mechanic about once per year and the doors are fine.It is amusing that you accuse and then claim an intellectual stance. Get over yourself. There is an epithet au courant in the First World: SNOWFLAKE, meaning hypersensitive adolescent demanding uncritical tolerance. Learn it, love it, leave it.
ADARQUA:

I agree with everything that Doug Huffman responded with in regards to the issues you listed.

Until you contribute even a few percentage points of the total postings Doug has provided over the years, and not to mention the wit and wisdom he uses, it would behoove you to troll elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Thread cleaned up.

Folks, lets keep the discussion fun and friendly for everyone.

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Oh, and thread moved to X5 forum, since we are on X5s.

Carry on.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Don't own a BMW without a warranty
Totally incorrect. I spent 60K on the car, 3.5K on Route66 warranty and I'm still mad I bought this. I'm looking at a "possible" 5K bill per the dealer for emission issues (of course the price is inflated but if you go to an Indy, BMWNA won't help if needed so you HAVE to go to the dealer).

Can't believe this can happen at 40K+' crazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
BMW X5 is the worst car ever owned. I have owned and lived with Peugeot 205GTi, Porsche 944 and Mercedes Benz CLK 4.3l V8 each car for 10 years and hardly opening the bonnet except for servicing.
BMW don't know how to design cars for the following reason:
1. If you open the bonnet of a car and found the exhaust manifold system at the same side of the engine block as the air-condition system walk away. Because the heat of the exhaust system would roast the refrigerant dry and you would get hot air through the cabin vents on hot sweaty days, not cool air when needed the most. Unless you have stacks of money to spend at the local BMW garage to replenish the refrigerant every 6 months to one year or so, and if overfill you will lose the compressor unit too, with huge replacement bill, look elsewhere. This arrangement is problematic and does not work. Hot and cold parts should be kept separate.
2. Under the bonnet if you find the plastic coolant expansion tank sandwich between a hot metal engine block and the radiator, don't be shocked because this is how BMW design their cars. Inevitably the plastic expansion tank would burst on a hot summer day and discharge the coolant to the ground below, when you need it the most. The engine would overheat if you continue to drive the car and that means expensive repair bills and replacement of the inaccessible expansion tank at the local BMW shop every year or less.
3. Under the bonnet if you find plastic conduit tubes transferring hot air between exhaust manifold and the secondary air system you might think that is a joke, but that is how BMW design their cars. Cheap and nasty plastic conduit tubes inappropriately used as hot exhaust air ducts. Eventually these plastic tubes in the overheated engine compartment become brittle then break up. Mind you, the local BMW dealership won't sell you the plastics parts only on its own; you would have to buy the whole secondary air system including the valves as often as possible.
4. BMW engine blocks are the most inefficient on the market. A BMW V6 engine can only manage a jaw dropping 14mpg compare that with a Mercedes V8 doing 22mpg normal driving. The fact is, a third of your fuel bill is wasted in overheating due to the BMW engine. This was clear for all to witness in their disastrous venture into F1 racing when their cars kept overheating and visibly catching fire, a possibility as to why they were forced to pull out of F1 after only a short stint in 2009.
5. Putting the fan and the ridiculous closing fins in front of the radiator is the most pathetic thing to do (this being the only fault rectified in later models) as it leads to unnecessary stress on the fan motor against wind speed resistance and break downs to exacerbate the overheating problem, which makes such cars totally unsuitable for hot environments.
The design flaws revealed above defy common sense and believe to come from a major car manufacture such as BMW is bewildering as complaint are mounting online and elsewhere. May be, BMW believe they are too big to fail and don't have to listen. Don't be fooled by the appearance, the brand name and the gimmicks of bright lights and gadgets found on the BMW. Pound for pound you get better value for you money, performance wise and drive quality, in the Porsche or Mercedes. Not all 'made in Germany' is what its cracks up to be.
Whats the purpose of this quote besides unleashing your rage? You haven't said which model X5 you have, or the Odometer reading on it, if you bought it new or second hand. How can you make these claims about BMW without stating the facts of your vehicle first?

I have recently come to learn that most problems that arise from these vehicles is do to negligence weather it be on the owner or where it was serviced. We also don't know your service history.

I have driven my X5 on a trip down the east coast during summer in 100 degree weather for hours and didn't have a problem with the A/C.

Or Ghana for that matter. I have owned Porsche, VW's, SAAB and now BMW and I'd take any over a Trabant from Ghana, or a 'donkey'.
As far as intellect goes, I haven't been on this Forum for long, but I have been guided by the problems I have had by Doug. I can tell he knows A LOT, if not ALL, about BMW. You can check my other posts and see the advice he has given me. Pretty much anything he says, has been the case in my opinion. (i.e. slime/sludge in the windshield washer reservoir from not cleaning it with alcohol etc.)

In my opinion, this forum is for people who have genuine questions comments or concerns and need help or advice. I don't see the purpose of posting purely rage posts without any purpose. I am sure if you need help or advice on how to do something, there will be more than enough people to step up to the plate and help you as best as possible

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Why are you putting a bonnet on the car, is it Easter?

My 535i has 105K miles on it, will be 9 years old in two months, and has been as trouble free as a Honda, although the maintenance is way higher. Which I knew and expected going in.

·
Registered
10 Posts

BMW don't know how to design cars for the following reason:

1.If you open the bonnet of a car and found the exhaust ...

Did you buy some Chinese imitation of a BMW X5 or what???

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
For those not aware, "bonnet" translates to "hood", much as "boot" yields "trunk" for British and British heritage background folks.

Carry on.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,358 Posts
OP-

While I might agree with SOME of your observations, the VAST majority of people dont have the issues you seem to think are absolute design flaws...

You say you need to refill refrigerant 'every 6 months'.. Really?? SINCE NEW???? Or did you possibly buy a poorly maintained car, in a country where perhaps the level of service quality is ...inconsistent, and now are reaping the benefits of slipshod repairs? I go 6-8 years before I need refrigerant- then, unless something is leaking, it is good for another 6 years. Are you seeing these issues with your own hands, or are you taking what your 'mechanics' say as gospel?

But, in terms of their use of plastic crap for some parts, I will agree with you there. I generally do OK, as I am careful and dont abuse parts when I work in the engine bay. And yes, it is over 40C regularly where I live and drive.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Obviously unhappy owner who needs to vent. Everyone's experience varies.

Would also be interested to know more details like year and miles and real engine type... Referencing to engines as V6 and E46 is a bit scary as the former is not a configuration used for BMW engines and the former is an aging but wonderful 3 series platform.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts