• BMW dealers

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • body paint shop, like Maaco

Votes: 2 20.0%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You probably would have gotten a better poll if you would have included a choice for quality non-BMW dealership body shops. Maaco is not exactly known for high quality work - inexpensive and fast, yes. They probably do good paintwork if you do the prep since they have sooooo much volume.
So if the choice is only Maaco or BMW, then BMW it must be. That being said, I would choose a shop of known high quality work for general paint and body (provided there isn't some sort of BMW expertise required or extensive repairs required). That could end up being BMW or it might not, it all depends. :p

=Steve=

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
You do realize most dealers shop their bodywork out to a body shop. Why not cut out the middleman?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Good point, I forgot about that.:eek:

One reason to go thru the dealer even if they farm it out is that they already know who does good work and who doesn't (especially on a BMW). Maybe you could ask the dealer bodyshop who they use?

=Steve=

·
Registered
51 Posts
OEM paint?

When I was shopping around for some body work, I thought a reason to prefer the dealer was to get perfectly matched paint... the dealer didn't do body work, but they work with a shop that does, so i went there... and the guy at the body shop said you can't get OEM BMW paint, at least in the U.S. Truth? Lies? Dunno. They do paint matching instead.

It amazing what body work will set you back... I've got a dime-size scrape in the bumper from a feral minivan, and the estimate is $560. Hardcore!

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Kaz said:
You do realize most dealers shop their bodywork out to a body shop. Why not cut out the middleman?
:thumbup:

Josh and Mike have pointed that out for the Philly area and were kind enough to give direct reference to the "good" shops. That is one of the really positive things this board brings (duh), sharing of good information:thumbup:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PM 325xiT said:

:thumbup:

Josh and Mike have pointed that out for the Philly area and were kind enough to give direct reference to the "good" shops. That is one of the really positive things this board brings (duh), sharing of good information:thumbup:
my dealer has its own paint shop (so called BMW certified bodyshop, dunno what it means). They quote me $270 for m3 spoiler (parts, paint, installation included). I think it's kinda expensive since the part is only $106+8 at circlebmw. That means they charge $156 for paint and installation. The installation should be under 30 mins ($40 labor). So the paint job costs $116 for a thin strip. Is this reasonable?

They should have the paint ready. I mean no mixing. Overhead shouldn't be too bad...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Knock on wood...I haven't needed the services of a bodyshop in many years. But, everyday on the way to work, I pass a place called "creative coachworks" Their lot is always full of Porsches, BMW's, Audi's (they even do A8 aluminum work) and I've even seen a couple of Ferarries (spelling?) there.
Local BMW dealers (Gearhart and Morristown) have their work done there. That's good enough for me, if I ever need them.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DougDogs said:
Knock on wood...I haven't needed the services of a bodyshop in many years. But, everyday on the way to work, I pass a place called "creative coachworks" Their lot is always full of Porsches, BMW's, Audi's (they even do A8 aluminum work) and I've even seen a couple of Ferarries (spelling?) there.
Local BMW dealers (Gearhart and Morristown) have their work done there. That's good enough for me, if I ever need them.
do u have the address for this bodyshop?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.