Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the increased weight of the E39 result in more body roll? Or do the stock sways' increased size make up for it?

Just curious as to how body roll in a stock SP 330i, for example, would compare to a stock SP 540i, say. Having never driven the latter, I have no experience.

T

·
0 Posts
E39 SP center of gravity is lower than the E46 plus the E39 is wider. Stock E39 w/SP has LESS body roll than stock E46 w/SP. Rides firmer too. Really.

·
10,856 Posts
I remember reading somewhere that the 528i SP bested the E36 M3 in a C&D? test.

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TD said:
E39 SP center of gravity is lower than the E46 plus the E39 is wider. Stock E39 w/SP has LESS body roll than stock E46 w/SP. Rides firmer too. Really.
Hmmm... makes sense. CoG is definitely the biggest factor in this equation, I would imagine.

I wonder how a 330i w/ SwayBarbarians would compare.

·
Registered
6,869 Posts
Plaz said:

Hmmm... makes sense. CoG is definitely the biggest factor in this equation, I would imagine.

I wonder how a 330i w/ SwayBarbarians would compare.
That's not quite fair is it? Stock -vs- aftermarket sway equipped... Does UUC make bars for the E39?

·
•••••••
16,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
in_d_haus said:

That's not quite fair is it? Stock -vs- aftermarket sway equipped... Does UUC make bars for the E39?
Nope, not fair... but fair, schmair! :p

Just a pointless academic hypothetical anyway.

T

·
0 Posts
Plaz said:

Nope, not fair... but fair, schmair! :p

Just a pointless academic hypothetical anyway.
I had UUCs on my 330i SP. I highly recommend them. They virually eliminate body roll. Other than cost and having to occasionally lube them, there is no downside.

And I would say that a UUC equipped 330i SP would have significantly LESS body roll than a 528i SP.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
TD said:

I had UUCs on my 330i SP. I highly recommend them. They virually eliminate body roll. Other than cost and having to occasionally lube them, there is no downside.

And I would say that a UUC equipped 330i SP would have significantly LESS body roll than a 528i SP.
I can agree to this statement. Set the barbarians on full stiff and you won't regret it. I actually get less squeaks with these (lube it!):thumb: . The cost has gone down too:D . When I drove the 540 at Susan Korman, all I could say was :yikes: . The wagon is pretty mean:lmao:

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
KP said:

I can agree to this statement. Set the barbarians on full stiff and you won't regret it. I actually get less squeaks with these (lube it!):thumb: . The cost has gone down too:D . When I drove the 540 at Susan Korman, all I could say was :yikes: . The wagon is pretty mean:lmao:
The Komen event I went to was hilarious. They had the following two cars (among others): 540iA SP, 540iTA SP. There was a 12-15 person line for the 540, and NO ONE in line for the 540iTA. I mean, what's the difference?

There was also no one waiting to drive the 750iL, weirdly enough.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
JST said:

The Komen event I went to was hilarious. They had the following two cars (among others): 540iA SP, 540iTA SP. There was a 12-15 person line for the 540, and NO ONE in line for the 540iTA. I mean, what's the difference?

There was also no one waiting to drive the 750iL, weirdly enough.
Same here. The people who were working were trying to convince the drivers that it's the same thing, but the only thing they said was, "But it looks like a volvo":lmao: . Well, it was good news for me, and I got a few good rounds in it:D . Some idiot went off with a X5 4.4i and returned 1 hour later:eek: . They were forced to leave:lmao:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
TD said:
I don't know about this...

I had a loaner 540i SP and it seemed like roll was a little worse. Rode better too...

According to KORMAN

these are the sizes
Car Front Bar Diameter Rear Bar Diameter
E39 540i 24.5mm 14mm
E39 540i with M-Technic Suspension 25.0mm 15mm
E39 528i 22.5mm 13mm

Now, SP E46s have 24mm Front and 19mm Rear and are lighter. If we go on size alone, the E46 should roll less. There is definatally more oversteer and less rear roll.
:dunno: Now, the E39 is a little more than 2" wider overal....

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
I have a lot of seat time in a 540i-6 (one is in my garage right now) and I put 28,000 miles on my 330i (1/2 of that with RD sways).

As TD points out, the 540i-6 appears to have less body roll in a stock configuration. However, the size difference is apparent the second you get behind the wheel. The E39 is a BIG car while the E46 is NIMBLE.

Now, to add controversy, I'd argue that the chassis on the E39 is stronger (more rigid). It really is a great automobile (but too big for my tastes).

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
TD said:
Just a thought: there's more weight to "transfer" in a corner in an E39. This means more vertical load on the E39's tires, which translates to more tire distortion and slightly less flat out handling ability.

In theory, the lighter car should always be better.

Ed

1 - 13 of 13 Posts