BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened to me while trying to replace a drive belt. I just bumped this "T" connector and POOF, A face full of anti-freeze. :mad: Well to make a long story short, this "T" connector is 1 complete $200 hose that runs from the radiator to the altenator to cool it. Over time it becomes very brittle. Instead of giving BMW $200, Instead I spent $20 at Auto Zone for a better "T" connector and 3 clamps and WALLA! 1 new hose connector!! Remember to cut the hose in those 3 places!! If you have an older (02-04) with 70+ on it, I would check this!!:yikes:

Attachments

·
Master Tinkerer
2,218 Posts
Good stuff man...good find on the cheap fix!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have to do what you gotta do seven! That fix made it better than OEM!:thumbup:

·
President
8,099 Posts
You have to do what you gotta do seven! That fix made it better than OEM!:thumbup:
i would buy a ghetto rigged 7 series, who knows where else the owner took a shortcut

even if this fix is better than OEM

but its all good, player, you have that $200 and not BMW

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I know what you mean Seven11, it's bad enough when they install the OEM parts wrong. But it looks like GKT did an ok job and saved alot of money. What is the name of this hose/connection? I would like to know so I can compare prices with other vendors.

·
Registered
345 Posts
seven11, aren't you the one that painted your car yourself? The chrome? Haha... I would say that could be perceived as a little more ghetto than replacing a t connector. It's all good man, it just cracks me up how people respond to ingenuity on here.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here its is, and thanks to those who take this forum serious enuff to value what this forum is really all about. its part #10-11 and 12 and its all 1 piece. I think its around $170 plus install.:D

Attachments

·
President
8,099 Posts
seven11, aren't you the one that painted your car yourself? The chrome? Haha... I would say that could be perceived as a little more ghetto than replacing a t connector. It's all good man, it just cracks me up how people respond to ingenuity on here.
i DID use vynil tape to tape up my chrome trim around the windows

but it DID NOT do anything to the drivability of the car

PLUS i had the pillars painted already

ingeniuty is welcomed here but what i was saying is that you never know what else his enginuity did

and i said that its good for thim that he saved money

·
Registered
340 Posts
We all know OEM is not always the best option.

Examples:

Cooling pipe issue
Spark Plugs (Ngk instead bosch)
H&R springs
and more......

So i wouldnt call his fix ghetto. By the way seven11 isnt your car always leaking fluid? maybe you should buy some of these connectors.:dunno:

·
asc-abs sensors rock!!!!
413 Posts
We all know OEM is not always the best option.

Examples:

Cooling pipe issue
Spark Plugs (Ngk instead bosch)
H&R springs
and more......

So i wouldnt call his fix ghetto. By the way seven11 isnt your car always leaking fluid? maybe you should buy some of these connectors.:dunno:
SEVEN11 GOT OWNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Here its is, and thanks to those who take this forum serious enuff to value what this forum is really all about. its part #10-11 and 12 and its all 1 piece. I think its around $170 plus install.:D
Good job on the DIY. Why spend $200, when you can do it yourself? I fixed my trunk latch (it would not lock) and a BMW Indy quoted me $200 and it look me 1hr to take the truck apart to find a spring that had popped out of place. Viola!:flipoff:

·
President
8,099 Posts
as was said many times before,

as these cars become cheaper, people will do wierd and strange things to them (i am not saying his fix is wierd or strange)

he did it because he wanted to save a couple of hundred bux and i dont see anything wrong with that...

maybe this is a bad example

but if i was looking to buy his car and saw that, i would think that this guy could have cheaped out on some other things also, like maintenance...

THAT'S ALL I WAS SAYING! dont get butthurt now guys! :)

and my car doesnt leak any fluids, the dealer installed a new water pump and sent me on my merry way :D

·
asc-abs sensors rock!!!!
413 Posts
as was said many times before,

as these cars become cheaper, people will do wierd and strange things to them (i am not saying his fix is wierd or strange)

he did it because he wanted to save a couple of hundred bux and i dont see anything wrong with that...

maybe this is a bad example

but if i was looking to buy his car and saw that, i would think that this guy could have cheaped out on some other things also, like maintenance...

THAT'S ALL I WAS SAYING! dont get butthurt now guys! :)

and my car doesnt leak any fluids, the dealer installed a new water pump and sent me on my merry way :D
WELL CONSIDERING YOUR STATEMENT SAYD I WOULD COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM. NO BUTTHURT HERE... IT JUST SEEMED YOU WERE RANKING ON THIS GUY FOR A QUICK EASY FIX. MY APOLIGISE SEVEN-11. :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,022 Posts
maybe some better clamps for a more oem look.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This car is not my first beemer, actually I've had 6 of them. This particular item can happen to you by just sticking your arm down in that area and checking belts. If you don't have a little know how on these cars and are dependent on the dealer for help then your in big trouble. In addition, I prefer my cars to remain as close to factory as possible, not knocking those who are creative thats your expression. But I certainly wouldn't be riding around in a ghetto rigg of this type. So I apreciate those who understand that just because you have this type car and have the monies to maintain it, doesn't mean you have to give it away. besides, without taking the radiator cover off, you cant see it!:)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts