BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to know if there is a book that I can purchase that breaks down the average cost for replacing parts or doing repairs on a bimmer. Yes, yes, I know about the DIY part but now that I've been working two jobs which include working on the weekends :( I basically have very minimal time to work on my baby. So if anyone out here knows of any decent book please don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
Not really. I'm not sure what that accomplishes anyway - call around, find the best mechanic with reasonable prices (not a reasonable mechanic with the best prices ;)) and go with them. You're not gonna get anywhere trying to claim that they need to adhere to book time. In fact, most shops that have been around a certain make/model don't use book time as much as experience shows them. The dealer tech manual has book time, but it's bank to get a hold of.

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
you can always call up a dealer or 2 (or 3) and ask how much tech time to do each job. the amount of time should jive. if not, something is fishy.

·
I Am The Machine
20,931 Posts
you can always call up a dealer or 2 (or 3) and ask how much tech time to do each job. the amount of time should jive. if not, something is fishy.
:rofl:

You wouldn't believe the answers I got on E39 6-speed transmission fluid capacity........
It's supposed to be lifetime fill so no numbers are published. Called 6 dealers across California. Got 6 answers. No joke. So I picked the one closest to the DIYs on here....and came up a quart short, and had to grab some more for my mechanic.

I got numbers ranging from just 1.5 liters (huh?) to 6.75. These were techs, not just service advisors......:rofl:

·
lurking
18,069 Posts
:rofl:

You wouldn't believe the answers I got on E39 6-speed transmission fluid capacity........
It's supposed to be lifetime fill so no numbers are published. Called 6 dealers across California. Got 6 answers. No joke. So I picked the one closest to the DIYs on here....and came up a quart short, and had to grab some more for my mechanic.

I got numbers ranging from just 1.5 liters (huh?) to 6.75. These were techs, not just service advisors......:rofl:
probably because it's given in metric :rofl:

·
That'll buff right out
436 Posts
I wanted to know if there is a book that I can purchase that breaks down the average cost for replacing parts or doing repairs on a bimmer. Yes, yes, I know about the DIY part but now that I've been working two jobs which include working on the weekends :( I basically have very minimal time to work on my baby. So if anyone out here knows of any decent book please don't hesitate to let me know. Thanks
When I worked at a dealership, they would come in two volumes per year, import & domestic. Both are about as thick as the DC phone book and cost (in 2000-2001) about $200 each. It's published by the same folks who do the Black Book. In either case it isn't supposed to be for sale to the public. It's possible you could find one at a used book store.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I worked at a dealership, they would come in two volumes per year, import & domestic. Both are about as thick as the DC phone book and cost (in 2000-2001) about $200 each. It's published by the same folks who do the Black Book. In either case it isn't supposed to be for sale to the public. It's possible you could find one at a used book store.
thanks for the update. I will look into it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
it costs alot to own a bimmer

1 - 9 of 9 Posts