BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow bmw enthuses!

I'm new to this site and sorry if this is a topic a lot of people post about I'm new and really need help with my e39. I drive a 98 528i and was wondering if they're are any affordable turbos/superchargers for my car. By affordable I mean less then 5k, I don't really want to over spend on a kit so I need help so if you know anywhere that has reliable kits please drop a comment! Thank you in advanced.

· Registered
4,164 Posts
Hello fellow bmw enthuses!

I'm new to this site and sorry if this is a topic a lot of people post about I'm new and really need help with my e39. I drive a 98 528i and was wondering if they're are any affordable turbos/superchargers for my car. By affordable I mean less then 5k, I don't really want to over spend on a kit so I need help so if you know anywhere that has reliable kits please drop a comment! Thank you in advanced.
Search Craigslist and one may pop up of you are patient enough

· W8ing to be Officly Wlcmd
130 Posts
Another option is to consider doing an LS engine swap. It will definitely set you back a bit more then $5k, but from what I've heard, it is very well spent money.

· Older than old school
4,471 Posts
Another option is to consider doing an LS engine swap. It will definitely set you back a bit more then $5k, but from what I've heard, it is very well spent money.
It's a lot harder starting from the I-6 than from the V-8 because the sub-frame and steering system of the I-6 interfere with the installation of a V-8 engine. That's why the 540's sub-frame and steering system differ.

· Nothing to read here...
2,716 Posts
If you search for technique tuning they have a for i believe was 3k or 6k for the kit with thuning software, injectors etc for the 330.

Now if you have the m52b28tu engine it should be a drop in.

2,716 Posts
If you search for technique tuning they have a for i believe was 3k or 6k for the kit with thuning software, injectors etc for the 330. Now if you have the m52b28tu engine it should be a drop in except for the tuning.
Theres also a cx racing kit but no fuel injectors, pump or software.

Or whats turning out to be a cheap and accomolishable build is a custom setup using a lexus supercharger here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892892

The only reason you dont see many turbod bmws is becuase of the tuning and its also one of the most expensive pieces of the build. So Unless you are familiar with hex codes and ecu tuning by yourself plan on dishing out a minimum at least 1000 bucks on a standalone unit or stock dme reflash.

· Registered
2,840 Posts
Hi

Don't' forget, you'll need to upgrade your brakes and suspension along with fitting the supercharger! The 'best' way to go about the upgrade is to uprate the brakes first, then the suspension and then finally add the power.

Cheers, Dennis!

· Older than old school
4,471 Posts
Hi

Don't' forget, you'll need to upgrade your brakes and suspension along with fitting the supercharger! The 'best' way to go about the upgrade is to uprate the brakes first, then the suspension and then finally add the power.

Cheers, Dennis!
Good point, Dennis. Judging from some of the chatter I read and hear (not on this site so much), many people evidently think stopping is overrated.

· Registered
2,000 Posts
Hi

Cheers, Dennis!
He has a 528i

Pretty sure the original brakes and suspension can handle the 50-75hp a bolt on supercharger of turbo will add. Not like he's talking about adding 400 horses.

Stock are up to the task, especially if he has the sport package.

· Registered
2,840 Posts
He has a 528i

Pretty sure the original brakes and suspension can handle the 50-75hp a bolt on supercharger of turbo will add. Not like he's talking about adding 400 horses.

Stock are up to the task, especially if he has the sport package.
Hi,

You'll need to research quite a bit more as a supercharger or turbo charger will add significantly more than 50-75 hp.

The Active Autowerke kit takes the standard 193 HP to 320HP - that's an increase of 125+ HP.

http://store.activeautowerke.com/products/active-autowerke-bmw-528i-supercharger-kit-e39

The ESS kit mentions 325HP.

If you read up and follow reputable tuners, racing teams and very knowledgeable enthusiasts, then when it comes to a 'public road car' the old adage I mention above is the best way to do things - Uprate the brakes first, uprate the suspension and THEN add the power. If pockets/wallet is deep enough, do all 3 at the same time.

Cheers, Dennis!

· Registered
2,000 Posts
Hi,

You'll need to research quite a bit more as a supercharger or turbo charger will add significantly more than 50-75 hp.

The Active Autowerke kit takes the standard 193 HP to 320HP - that's an increase of 125+ HP.

http://store.activeautowerke.com/products/active-autowerke-bmw-528i-supercharger-kit-e39

If you read up and follow reputable tuners, racing teams and very knowledgeable enthusiasts, then when it comes to a 'public road car' the old adage I mention above is the best way to do things - Uprate the brakes first, uprate the suspension and THEN add the power. If pockets/wallet is deep enough, do all 3 at the same time.

Cheers, Dennis!
Yes, their 120BHP increase is about 70 at the wheels. I've done my research and have owned a supercharged E46 that was on the stock sport suspension and brakes and did just fine.

· Certifiable BMW Whackjob!
7,760 Posts
Hi,

Cheers, Dennis!
And how much does that kit cost? I'm guessing OP is looking for something probably in the $3k area, $4k tops ("By affordable I mean less then 5k"), in which case 50-75hp is likely what he'll be lucky to get.

2,716 Posts
Unless youre planning on being a fool a taking your new supercharged car to a busy highway going up to 140mph and swerving in between traffic or hitting a track, definitely get some upgrades especially on the brakes. But now if all you plan is to continue with everyday life and simply use your newly attained power to quickly pass or merge on the highway Your stock brakes and suspension will suffice.

· Registered
2,859 Posts
That's nuts,, if all you want is HP, then it clearly makes more sense to just buy a 540 for 100 more HP then add a turbo for 75 HP ,,, I also agree no need for brakes for 75 HP.. You could can't even make a case for suspension upgrade if you are just driving by yourself... In the end 540 is clearly the correct choice...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.