Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thining of changing out my Winters tires today? Too Early

·
Officially Contaminated
3,052 Posts
Thining of changing out my Winters tires today? Too Early
At least another two weeks for me down here in S. Connecticut.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I have been thinking also, but probably going to wait 2 more weeks - I am less worried about the potential for any snow and more just waiting for the holes to get patched as the winter tires have more sidewall and if I have to screw up a wheel, would rather do one of the winters!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My thoughts also. I already had to have one of mine repaired. Getting anxious.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,353 Posts
Did mine two weeks ago, but I run performance A/S in the summer. Still a bit cold if you're going to true "summer only" tires.

·
Philosopher-king
2,195 Posts
I'm still worried about the potholes.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I did it last weekend, but admit it was a bit early. But I have some flexibility as we have a truck. So far I have not had to drive the truck though - but I am very careful when it is below 40.

·
Tastes like chicken
1,160 Posts
I run summer only but wait until (a) potholes are better, and (b) average night temp is right around 40F. The summers don't do well below that. By the looks of the weather forecast, it should be within the next two weeks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Yeah, I'm waiting 2 more weeks as well. Cold mornings, potholes everywhere, and threat of snow (again for Wed/Thurs) make it an easier wait.

·
Cloud Climber
194 Posts
I am hoping to take the car out of the garage April 4. I need to drive a real car instead of my 1999 Chevy pickup. I feel the need for speed.

·
Here comes trouble!
8,356 Posts
It was 47F this morning in North Texas. I saw two people out walking, both with gloves, coats, and one with ear protectors. :eeps: We sure are wimps here...but then it had been 85F the past week. :angel:

·
N54
3,427 Posts
Did mine two weeks ago, but I run performance A/S in the summer. Still a bit cold if you're going to true "summer only" tires.
what's the point of 2 dedicated sets if one of them is A/S?

·
N54
3,427 Posts
Is that really an Xi? Are you lowered on springs or coilovers? Either way, beautiful E92. Also love the CSL reps (which manufacturer?)

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,353 Posts
what's the point of 2 dedicated sets if one of them is A/S?
Because A/S tires this past winter would have been a nightmare. Case in point was a 65 mile drive that started with 3" on the ground and ended with 6" 1.5 hours later. Unplowed highway for about 60% of the trip, totally unplowed secondary roads for 5 miles at each end.

A/S and real snow isn't a workable choice when you need to be there when you need to be there.

·
E92 Fanatic
124 Posts
Is that really an Xi? Are you lowered on springs or coilovers? Either way, beautiful E92. Also love the CSL reps (which manufacturer?)
thanks! yep it's an Xi on H&R performance sport coilovers. The CSL reps are from Alufelgen (best reps IMHO)

·
E92 Fanatic
124 Posts
I have been thinking also, but probably going to wait 2 more weeks - I am less worried about the potential for any snow and more just waiting for the holes to get patched as the winter tires have more sidewall and if I have to screw up a wheel, would rather do one of the winters!
I run summer only but wait until (a) potholes are better, and (b) average night temp is right around 40F. The summers don't do well below that. By the looks of the weather forecast, it should be within the next two weeks.
hey guys, i recognized your SN on E90post :)

·
N54
3,427 Posts
Because A/S tires this past winter would have been a nightmare. Case in point was a 65 mile drive that started with 3" on the ground and ended with 6" 1.5 hours later. Unplowed highway for about 60% of the trip, totally unplowed secondary roads for 5 miles at each end.

A/S and real snow isn't a workable choice when you need to be there when you need to be there.
In case my question wasn't clear, why aren't you running summers afterwards? Summers in summer, and winters in winter - isn't that the point repeatedly belabored by the 'dedicated sets are a must' ideology? 'Anything else is a compromise' followed by 'A/S tires are jacks of all trades, masters of none'?

·
Registered
971 Posts
i never change my tires summer is all year long for me i drive my second car in the snow days and no rft and i live in nh ma border
Most Summer tires are not designed for cold temps and will not handle well even on dry roads when it is cold. It is not just about snow.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts