BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like. :thumbup:
Out of curiosity, what is it that makes the PC so much better? Is it really any better? (Not that I would buy it, I'm too cheap. :D)

·
2,457 Posts
Have you ever picked up a Porter Cable tool compares to a Black and Decker? It's just an (extremely) better made product.

I'm sure you'll still get decent results with the polisher you bought, but the Porter Cable tool is stout, without being burdonsome, and is quite easy to control. Happy Waxing! Daniel-san, Wax-on, Wax-off.:p

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My real concern is "paint strip" vs. "pretty and shiny." :D Build quality is adequate, although certainly not great. :)

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
My real concern is "paint strip" vs. "pretty and shiny." :D Build quality is adequate, although certainly not great. :)
I'm pretty sure those come with wool pads. Whatever you do, just DON'T use them. They heat up with friction and you'll leave swirl marks all over your black paint. See if you can find foam pads for that polisher. :thumbup:

·
Registered
848 Posts
ALEX325i said:

I'm pretty sure those come with wool pads. Whatever you do, just DON'T use them. They heat up with friction and you'll leave swirl marks all over your black paint. See if you can find foam pads for that polisher. :thumbup:
True! The difference is the power of the unit. The PC can drive the foam pads with polish or wax. The Turtle wax unit will more than likely not accpet the foam pads, nor will it have the necessary power.

IMHO

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Chipster said:

True! The difference is the power of the unit. The PC can drive the foam pads with polish or wax. The Turtle wax unit will more than likely not accpet the foam pads, nor will it have the necessary power.

IMHO
So, is he screwed? I mean, will he have to live with swirls?

Even if the Turtle Wax polisher doesn't have too much power, I'd think the friction of the wool pad against body panels still produces enough heat to leave swirls... :dunno:

·
Registered
848 Posts
ALEX325i said:

So, is he screwed? I mean, will he have to live with swirls?

Even if the Turtle Wax polisher doesn't have too much power, I'd think the friction of the wool pad against body panels still produces enough heat to leave swirls... :dunno:
Honestly I could not tell you. I just remember having one about 10 years ago and it barely had enough power to apply and remove wax....

Ever since then I have used a PC (actually a bosch)

·
10,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it came with terry cloth and foam and two other pads which I can't recall the compostition of. I used the terry cloth and the wax applicator (blue cloth of some sort). I used P21s paint cleaner (finish improved), then Turtlewax. Turtlewax has a mediocre shine, but it seems to last forever. It's been a couple months since I last put it on, and water was still beading VERY well.

It takes 6" pads, too. :)

Whatever they used to include, I think the package is a LOT better now. I have fewer swirls now than when I started.

·
Banned
22,730 Posts
Nick, as long as it has variable speeds and is a random orbital, you should have the same results as a Porter Cable. Keep the pads clean, and use separate pads from that of a polish pad to the wax application, you should be fine!

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts