BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a buffer/polisher yesterday (like your Porter Cable), the only regret is I didn't buy it earlier. Saved me heaps of time with much better results.

As a first time user, I would say it's best to practise on something less important (like fridge and washing machines.) I did practise with glass polish on the windows to get a feel of how the machine is like in action. Turned out very good.

Did that all on my Honda, will move onto my bimmer next weekend.

·
It's Bimmer, not BEEEEMER
462 Posts
I agree. I have to go pick up my pads and polish this weekend for my new 7336SP. I plan to practice on my wife's ML350 before I move to a REAL car... :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Pads

Hi. What Pads do you reccomend and for what use?

adwebinc said:
I agree. I have to go pick up my pads and polish this weekend for my new 7336SP. I plan to practice on my wife's ML350 before I move to a REAL car... :D

·
Registered
958 Posts
LC Foam Pad Selection /Use

Foam Pad Selection:

Polish / Cutting Pad (*Yellow)-a harder more dense foam composition with an abrasive cutting action, for use with a medium abrasive polish, Machine Polish 1 or 2, Swirl Mark Remover, or Autoglym Paint Renovator Polish (Speed number 4-5)

Polish / Light Cutting Pad (*Orange)-a mid range, high density foam composition with a medium abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed number 4)

Polish / Waxing Pad (*White)-a softer less dense foam composition with a light abrasive cutting action, for use with a Swirl Mark Remover, Pre-Wax Paint Cleaner, Klasse All-In-One, or Autoglym Super Resin Polish (Speed number 4)

Finishing Pad (*Black)-an ultra-smooth foam that has no abrasive cutting ability, for use with Klasse High Sealant Gloss, Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection, Zanio Z-2 or Z-5 or a Glaze (Speed number 3)

Levelling Pad (Wool):
Are made from ¾-inch 100% natural lambs wool (do not use synthetic wool) are usually used to level a paint film surface with an abrasive machine polish (compound) or to apply a polish to large areas Wool pads used wet or dry produce the most paint surface `compounding haze'

a) Constant Pressure (LC) 6-inch Foam Pad Starter Kit:
A constant pressure foam pad, this is essentially a flat 6-inch pad which uses a patented technology layer of engineered, instant rebound foam between the pad and the backing plate to absorb off-axis movements while keeping the pressure of the pad on the surface constant. These European pads are made from engineered, thermally reticulated (exploded open cell) foams with a 99% open cell structure, specifically designed for compounding, polishing and finishing. Blue "Constant Pressure" foam backing absorbs any unwanted 'off-axis' polishing motions (ideal for the inexperienced user)

Constant Pressure Foam Pad Starter Kit:
1-Polish / Cutting Pad (*Yellow)
•2-Polish / Light Cutting Pad (*Orange)
•2-Polish / Waxing Pad (*White)
•2-Finishing Pad (*Black)
•1-5-inch Flexible Urethane Backing Plate

*The foam pad colour identifications and specifications are by Lake County Manufacturing (LC) www.lakecountrymfg.com other manufactures of foam pads use a different colour to identify the abrasiveness or cutting ability of their foam pads, they can be purchased at www.properautocare.com.
~Hope this helps~

JonM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts