BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...within the CPO paperwork it states the oil was checked and changed a few weeks back. Immediately after the purchase I notice the 'Low Engine Oil' warning light to which I just assumed that it's an oil sensor that needs to be replaced, taking her back for a service on Thursday under warranty. Well the light keeps coming on so after driving for a little I choose to open up the hood and manually check the oil. As I untwisted the cap(car was warm) smoke came out of the engine and the oil cap smelled a bit like gas, along with not being able to see any oil in the engine. Not to mention the engine bay is filthy, I would think washing it down would be part of detailing prior to a CPO sale from a very reputable dealership.

I would love your opinion on the matter, is this something of an issue? Is it normal for the oil to be steaming/smoking like that? Should the oil in the engine be a bit visible? Am I running too rich?

Personally, I feel like the guys never topped off the oil during the "oil change" which is causing what's described. Maybe negligence on their part?

For the hell of it, I'll be adding a quart of oil today just to play it safe.

Thank you so much for your help!

-Alex

· Registered
7,119 Posts
Never assume a sensor is bad, always assume it is good unless you can prove otherwise. What does the oil temp gauge read on your dash? Is the reading somewhere in the middle. The oil is not visible from the opening of the cap. You should go into the dealer and have them drain and measure the amount of oil you have in there.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I just filled it up with 2 qts and the light didn't come on! I really believe the technician that did the CPO work never filled it up with oil after the drain. Who knows how long the car was driven around without oil in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.