BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

As stated in the title, I bought a 2011 E92 that had a KAT delete done by the previous owner. Upon buying the car the seller even handed them to me and we brought them home with us.

Now almost a year later the inspection is due this month. I was planning to get the obligatory CEL removed through "coding" and got in touch with a M-specialized mechanic in my area.

Now this guy argues that an engine tune is also necessary when deleting the CEL for it to pass inspection. Remapping the ECU to the new exhaust values makes sense to me, but at the same time he wants to charge me around 800€ (~950$) for the tune alone.
All in all I will be looking at a 1k bill.

Is this reasonable? This would included the usual costs of the inspection that I have to do anyway and runs around 200€.

On the one hand I feel like its a reasonable thing to do - adjusting the car to its "non-stock-state".
On the other, I feel like i'm being taken advantage of.

Can someone confirm for me that this is all still in the realm of reason?

Thanks for your time, looking forward to some advice!

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
Ive paid more for tunes and less. Varies with marque and model....

Have you searched online for your specific model? Not that you can find locally, but just what the going rate seems to be.

Oh, put your cats back on. The rest of us air breathers will thank you.

· Lost but making good time
3er + 3er + 4er = 10er, Bimmers?!
6,720 Posts
I thought a TÜV inspection included visual inspection of the exhaust and emission-control components, i.e., the cats--does it not? The seller's inclusion of the removed converters in the sale might be a hint....

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought a TÜV inspection included visual inspection of the exhaust and emission-control components, i.e., the cats--does it not? The seller's inclusion of the removed converters in the sale might be a hint....
I also believe it does! But the guy at the workshop told me not to worry, so I figure he has a plan in that case.
According to him I'm far from the first customer with this situation.

Thanks for your reply, I'll see how it turns out - worst case, I still have the cats in my basement so I'll have to reinstall them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.