BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Z3 Crash-test Veteran
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, for the last few days I was hearing a "hiss" style noise coming from behind the dashboard when the AC was on. Itr was blowing cold, but the noise was loud. Taking this for a simple low pressure of refrigerant (it's a 2002 325 with no reason for there to be any leaks) I thought I'd take it to Jiffy Lube on Saturday to charge the system. I won't use them for oil changes on my BMW, but it's just AC right? The same on all cars?

My mistake in two words - "Jiffy" and "Lube".

They spent an hour with their charging machine, and finally the manager came over and said they tried but couldn't charge it, "we had to take some charge back out because when we put it in it showed over pressure". He said they wouldn't charge me anything, and I said OK to that. When I got in the car ---

warm air only. :mad:

It didn't any colder by the time I got home. I called the Jiffy Lube to complain, and they offered to try again. But I had regained my sanity at this stage and told them I wasn't going to give them another shot at my car but I was going to send them a bill for any damage my mechanic found.

Today, my indie shop (European Import Repair, Austin TX) told me that the system is fine, just EMPTY OF REFRIGERANT :violent:. They had to add almost 2 pounds.

I'll be sending Jiffy Lube the bill for the refrigerant. But I won't be holding my breath.

·
BMW by necessity
387 Posts
Not sure about BMW, but most air conditioning condensers/pumps use the refrigerant as a lubricant. If you run it without being charged it is not good. Again, not sure about BMW (I'm am new to BMWs and still learning).

·
Z3 Crash-test Veteran
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So...is the noise gone?

Good luck trying to get your money back.
Yeah the noise is gone, all I ever needed apparently was to top off the refrigerant (BTW - my fingers keep trying to type "Freon" here, as they are old fingers, but I beat them back every time!).

As for the worries about driving without any - we used my wife's X3 the rest of the weekend - not for worries about damage, just that it's hot down here!

I probably won't be able to update you on Jiffy's response for a few days, as I am a nice guy. I'm going to go to the local shop first, and escalate in steps rather than just carpet bombing corporate. You get more flies with honey, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts