BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello -

I loaded all my CD's into my BMW, and have since thrown them out. I want to convert the files back to a format to save them on my computer and play. The program out there keeps giving me a DLL missing error when I try to run it.

Any assistance appreciated.

· Registered
1,280 Posts
CDs are usually in mp3 format and I am not sure if you can export them from the vehicle's Hard Disk to a flash drive. Check the iDrive for an export function deep into the CD menu selection.

You say the conversion program gives you a missing dll indication. What program are you using and what file formats are you after?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile appo

· Registered
1,280 Posts
Doesn't the program that skanman provided for free on 09-28-2012 on page 2 of the thread you provided the link to do exactly what you need to convert to one of three conventional audio formats that can be stored and played on your computer?

· Registered
1,280 Posts
I tried to install it as well and got the same result. The main problem with me was installing CYGWIN. I am not sure how much of it to install and what I did install would not let the conversion program run without the dll function, the same message you are getting. Annoying to say the least. I had been successful I would have asked you to PM me one BR5 file to see if I could convert it. Sorry.....

· Registered
1,280 Posts
I think the dll file would be part of a successful installation of the Cygwin program. Then skanman's program should then run to allow you to convert your files. I noted that he did it with Windows XP.
I am running Windows 8.1 and wonder if there is a Cygwin issue even though I installed the 64-bit version. It might be that skanman's program requires the 32-bit version of Cygwin. You said that you tried on 3 different computers. Were they all later versions of Windows?

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Win 7 on all of them. I was hoping it was in there from another program or something, so tried to move it around... No XP left around in the house :-(

I could try to revive that thread and see if he responds.

· Registered
251 Posts
Do you see the source code on the e90 post forum? Do you have xcode and command line tools installed? (Just type gcc in console and see if that works)
Copy that into a file, call it convertor.c.
Run this: gcc convertor.c -o convertor
Done.

· Registered
1,280 Posts
Do you see the source code on the e90 post forum? Do you have xcode and command line tools installed? (Just type gcc in console and see if that works)
Copy that into a file, call it convertor.c.
Run this: gcc convertor.c -o convertor
Done.
While what you present here may work, none of it is user-friendly for those of us at a different level of poficiency.

I found a site that would install the Cygwin dll file (which the skanman's installed program kept asking for). It made no difference at all. I can't even find out what Cygwin is for and it has a bewildering array of functionalities that may or may not be needed upon installation. The installation notes are not easy to follow either.

· Registered
251 Posts
Right, this is a car enthusiast forum and I wouldn't expect everyone to know how to build software. Cygwin is a Linux/unix like environment for windows. You can't just run Cygwin compiled software as a normal windows program. I have a windows box too, I'll get both builds up for you guys.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

· Registered
1,280 Posts
Ah, it is Linux-related. I thought there was some type of "Windows barrier" that had to be overcome and based on what I could see, skanman's program was the only way for Wardman to achieve his goal.

In this case, my procrastination at loading in my music to the vehicle's hard drive has saved me from his situation. I have been using an older Sony mp3 player that I load via my computer where my music collection is and connect it inside the centre console.

I became involved in Wardman's situation as he is a fellow GT owner and I wanted to try and help. My lack of knowledge exceeded my "reach" but you have nicely stepped up tobtry and close the 'user-friendliness' gap. Thanks for that.

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks All! I sell software, never programed before, so had an idea of what they wanted me to do just not the wherewithal to actually try it. I wasn;t sure whether to go into a shell script, just load it at the root/dos level and then all me "basic knowledge of "cd" sommands etc has long passed..." Appreciate the help in either case. I understand why BMW encrypts it, but wish I had known that prior to thinking I could get everything back in a standard format.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.