BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

bra for bimmer

1353 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  GoForthFast
does anyone have a bra on their car year round or during winter. what would you recomend? i live in maine. also are those clear plastic shields any good?
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
The traditional mask-type of vinyl bra has a nasty habit of eating the paint under where it`s mounted (vibration, friction, trapped dirt & moisture all figure in here). Something like ClearBra is a far better alternative. They do a good job of protecting vulnerable paintwork from rock chips, etc.
+1 stay away from the vinyl ones. Eats your paint like crazy from flapping over time.
I have been using a mask type bra for over 20 years and have never had paint damage. If you follow a few simple rules you will have no difficulty. Don't install it on a dirty car, remove it when it gets soaked, don't leave it on for weeks at a time, make sure it's adjusted properly. I use mine mainly for long highway trips and have never had problems and it's a lot cheaper. I think it looks much better than those expensive clear plastic overlays which always seem to have that dirty line at the seam. Just my opinion.
Vinyl cover damage on my 300zx.......

Attachments

My personal experience is that the vinyl bra like Crowz talks about rubs through the paint. However hhibmw calims success with only temporary use, and I suppose that is probably the best way to go if you choose to use one. As for myself, I don't/won't use either...and just put up with the chips and touch-up sequence.
thanks for input. possibly will go with the clear ones. i just want some protection in the winter.
I put on my own clear bra on the front bumper and leading part of the hood seven years ago. With mostly highway mileage where small rocks are being thrown up frequently, the bra is almost in as good condition as when I first put it on. And there are some small knicks in it where larger rocks have hit.
Probably have many more knicks in the paint without it.
clear bra Boston MA, New England, Unique Car Care, Xpel / Ventureshiled

does anyone have a bra on their car year round or during winter. what would you recomend? i live in maine. also are those clear plastic shields any good?
I own a detail shop in Boston/MA and do lots of clear bra installs. Seeing that you are from New England as well, you know that the winters around here are pretty brutal on your car. It's definitely a smart idea to get one before the front of your car is covered in stone chips. Paint protection film does a great job at protecting the paint and is completely removable down the road. Lets say you drive your car for 6 years and you want to sell it. Chances are, the bra will probably have a few "battle wounds" on it from every day wear and tear. Remove the film, give the car a quick detail and you have a car with all original paintwork with zero stone chips. No question it will higher the retail value of the car when you're ready to sell it.

As far as what brand of film to use, I would definitely go with Xpel Ultimate.I was using the 3M/Ventureshield product for a while, but have completely switched to the new Xpel Ultimate film, which is far superior in my opinion. It has great clarity, no orange peel and has a clearcoat topcoat. The best thing about this particular film is that is has self-healing properties if you happen to scratch it at some point. Any type of heat (sunlight, engine heat, hot water, etc. will promote the self healing and the scratches will disappear. It also has great UV protection and will not discolor, fade or get cloudy like other films on the market. Most films look great when first installed, but typically degrade not even a year later. This film is backed with a 10 year warranty.

One thing that I did notice with the 3m/Ventureshield is when bugs, sap, bird mess or stuff from trees remained on the surface for a couple days, the film would "etch" and I was unable to remove the etching. This is the main reason I switched to the Xpel Ultimate. It is extremely durable and you can even use lacquer thinner on the film without it eating the topcoat. I haven't tried the Suntek yet...

Here's a video showing Xpel's self-healing properties:

http://youtu.be/fUqzFvRw4-A

Here are a couples installs we did showing full frontal coverage:

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/pro-studio/33777-custom-porsche-clear-bra-install-xpel.htm

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/pro-studio/34414-porsche-911-turbo-paint-correction-xpel.htm

http://www.detailingbliss.com/forum/pro-studio/32942-audi-rs4-custom-vevtureshield-install-unique.htm

If possible, make sure you go with a custom install instead of using pre-cut kits. Pre-cut kits typically have lots of critical areas that don't get covered and are prone to stone damage, not to mention lots of unnecessary seams. By performing a fully custom install, bulk film is used so the installer can make all seams very close to any openings (park distance sensors, reflectors, headlights, foglights, etc.) for a cleaner install with added coverage. In addition, all edges are completely wrapped over (hood, fenders, etc.).

You obviously want to do your research before choosing an installer.

Let me know if you have any questions...

Best regards,
~Rick
As a rank amateur I went with pre-cut clear bra and window tint for my 330Ci. For a first timer I did OK, but not up to the level of a pro as demonstrated on the examples you have posted.
Mucho respect for the skills you guys must have to work without a safety net (bulk material)!

Where online can we get costs and details regarding your services?
If possible, make sure you go with a custom install instead of using pre-cut kits. Pre-cut kits typically have lots of critical areas that don't get covered and are prone to stone damage, not to mention lots of unnecessary seams. By performing a fully custom install, bulk film is used so the installer can make all seams very close to any openings (park distance sensors, reflectors, headlights, foglights, etc.) for a cleaner install with added coverage. In addition, all edges are completely wrapped over (hood, fenders, etc.).

You obviously want to do your research before choosing an installer.

Let me know if you have any questions...

Best regards,
~Rick
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.