BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brake and yellow triangle would not go off after replacing a tire rod and generously and blindly spraying degreaser on the caliper..( I knowwww I shoud not have used degreaser..but I did not have the right thing and was a mistake)..Now, how can I fix the problem?

·
Premium Member
Current: 2009 E63 650i Coupe, 2009 E92 M3 Past: 2012 F10 535i, 2009 E93 335i vert, 2007 Roush 427r
76 Posts
Replace your brake sensor, they're less than $20.

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
2,952 Posts
Brake and yellow triangle would not go off after replacing a tire rod and generously and blindly spraying degreaser on the caliper..( I knowwww I shoud not have used degreaser..but I did not have the right thing and was a mistake)..Now, how can I fix the problem?
Hi Alex -- Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays!

I thought you said in your prior thread that you changed the RIGHT tie rod two weeks+ ago (there's NO brake pad wear sensor on RF wheel).

QUESTIONS:

1) Which wheel's caliper(s) did you "spray degreaser on"?
2) What brand of degreaser did you use, what is its chief ingredient, and WHAT did you spray it on?
3) Did warning lights appear the FIRST time you started/drove the car after spraying? If not, how long afterward?
4) Please describe Exactly each and every warning light that now appears on your dash -- is ABS or DSC among them? A photo would be easier.
5) Which vehicle is this? Year, model, chassis code?
6) What CC-ID code (3-digit) do you get using "Check Control" (see owner's manual for procedure)? If you have a "!" in yellow triangle beside Gear indicator in center of instrument cluster, you have a CC-ID code saved in the instrument cluster that can be read on the instrument cluster simply using the B/C buttons on the turn indicator stalk.
7) If you have INPA or any BMW-specific code reader or software that can read codes in modules OTHER than the DME, please identify that, and someone can suggest tests or BMW Fault Code procedure.

If you never sprayed degreaser on LF caliper or RR caliper (where the pad wear sensors are), then THAT is NOT the cause of warning lights. It is possible that you may have affected Wheel Speed Sensor function, related to ABS & DSC, but THAT would produce a different set of warning lights.

Without answers to questions above, we can't really help.

George

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Happy Holidays
The degreaser was spread on the LF (the front caliper, passenger side).
Not sure what was the name but it was an engine degreaser and was thrown a way. The caliper and maybe the brake pad got it all.
The light came on right after I turned the outer tire rod twice clockwise which I should have done that 2 weeks ago when I replaced the tire rod. I have also spread the degreaser on the caliper at the same time.
By doing so, I have fixed the left pulling, but also made the steering wheel about 10 degrees off center to the right which I am not able to straighten it by turning the inner tire rod!!!!
2008 328i
cc id 35
IMG_20181225_185028621.jpg

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Happy Holidays
The degreaser was spread on the LF (the front caliper, passenger side).
Not sure what was the name but it was an engine degreaser and was thrown a way. The caliper and maybe the brake pad got it all.
The light came on right after I turned the outer tire rod twice clockwise which I should have done that 2 weeks ago when I replaced the tire rod. I have also spread the degreaser on the caliper at the same time.
By doing so, I have fixed the left pulling, but also made the steering wheel about 10 degrees off center to the right which I am not able to straighten it by turning the inner tire rod!!!!
2008 328i
cc id 35

Attachments

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
2,952 Posts
...degreaser was spread on the LF (the front caliper, passenger side). The light came on right after I turned the outer tire rod twice clockwise which I should have done that 2 weeks ago when I replaced the tire rod. I have also spread the degreaser on the caliper at the same time...2008 328i
cc id 35
In the US, the Passenger side of the vehicle is the RIGHT side, or Vehicle Right, as you would determine left vs. right seated in the vehicle. If you looking into the engine compartment from over the front bumper, what you see on your Left, such as the jumpstart terminal, is on the Vehicle Right side, and that is the point of view used in manuals, forums, etc.

So to beat it firmly into the ground :tsk: when you are seated in the driver's seat, the LF (Left Front) wheel is the one on Driver's side, directly ahead of you. That wheel has a brake pad sensor. The other front wheel (RF) has NO brake pad sensor. :)

Assuming that's 4 different CC-ID codes, CC-ID 24, 35, 131 & 354, three of those are DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) Module codes, and the large DSC symbol you have on the Center of the instrument cluster with the BIG ! after it means that the DSC has shut down because it is NOT functioning properly. The fourth code is a bulb failure, LF parking light.

Since you do NOT have an ABS warning, I would assume that shutdown is NOT the result of a Wheel Speed Sensor Malfunction. It is certainly NOT a brake pad sensor failure/warning.

Since you were turning the tie rod ends and changing the centering of the steering wheel, my first guess is that you now need to reset the Steering Angle Sensor, and that requires BMW-specific software. I have never done that on mine, so perhaps someone else here can explain what scan tool and/or software can do that and how to do it. Since you now need to have proper toe set and wheel centered, you should probably have an INDY do all those things.

Since the BRAKE warning is yellow, and no other brake-related symbol appears, I would assume you simply had the handbrake lever pulled and that is simply a warning your handbrake is ON.

I would suggest downloading the Bentley manual in pdf format that is available at this link:
http://www.georgebelton.com/335i.tech/bentley.php
That link, and links to various other online references are listed in the attached "Handy E9x References" pdf. The list of CC-ID codes begins at Bentley page 020-55, which is page 126 of the pdf. Here are the definitions of those four codes found in Bentley:
24. Dynamic Stability Control DBC failure. Drive with care. No additional brake support from DBC when emergency (DSC) braking.
35. Dynamic Stability Control DSC failure. Drive with care. Driving stability restricted when accelerating and cornering.
354. Dynamic Stability Control. Pulling-away assistant inactive Caution: vehicle may roll back.

131. Footwell module (FRM). Parking light front left, failure.

I admire your confidence in diving in and DIY. I would simply suggest that reading Bentley or looking for a procedure in TIS Online Service Manual FIRST would give you better understanding of how systems work & basic concepts of what to do & NOT to do. Some basic lessons that guys that do their own work for years include: When you replace a tie rod end, measure the distance from the inboard end to the tapered shaft EXACTLY with a caliper; then count the EXACT number of turns required to remove the old one; then measure the old one against the replacement, and if the same, install the replacement with the EXACT number of turns that you counted in removing.

If there is ANY doubt about the replacement tie rod end being exactly the same length, or the steering wheel is no longer centered, time to get a shop with proper alignment equipment to do that (unless you have an alignment gauge & know how to use it).

The idea is to keep the distance exactly the same as before, so you don't alter the toe, or the steering wheel centering. The more you examine how the system works BEFORE you begin removing things, the less likely you are to have to do additional, sometimes expensive, followup work, or have to pay someone else to do it. Most of us are in such a rush to "Get 'er done" that we don't take the time to think about exactly how the system works, and learn the tricks without having to learn the hard way. (It's a macho "guy" thing ;-)

Hang in there!
George

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts