BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Among the Proud
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally had to put in new rotors, and pads all around at 50k miles - Textar (OEM pads and rotors)

So conflicted with whether I should be bedding the brakes this time as I had zero issues not doing the bedding after just pads being done 3 years ago (dealer) and the car stopped great every time even when the front pads only had 230 miles left according to the sensor.

My very trusted indy mechanic says to take it easy for the first 50 miles and didn't recommend bedding even after being asked directly while the internet only mentions the bedding procedure in passing. Some articles go on to say it actually improves braking as well as reduces brake dust (secondary importance if that's even true).

Right now it's only got 5 miles on them light braking but it surely does not [yet] bite like what I'm used to. Also concerned about that - is this just a matter of the 50 miles? Thoughts?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,233 Posts
All of my HPV bicycles and tricycles have disk brakes, and all have been 'bedded', both rotors and pads.

I rode Blackjack Pass grade, signed at 16%, on new disks, to blue them. Folding the bike at the end of the 500 mile trip I noticed the nice color - and that only two retaining screws of eight remained.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yes def do it with new rotors. You didnt have to last time with new pads because the rotor already had pad material on it. New rotor will now have that, which is what the bedding in process is for.
Transfer of pad material onto the rotor. It doesnt take long anyways, just do it!

·
Among the Proud
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If you just installed rotors with zinc plating or if the rotors have an anti-corrosion phosphate coating, you should postpone bedding until normal driving has allowed your pads to polish the rotors clean and removed all traces of the plating or coating. If your new brake rotors have an oily anti-corrosion coating, clean this off thoroughly with brake cleaning spray and/or hot soapy water before installation.
I may have missed this part the first time reading that - I guess this was the most important part. I suppose I'll wait till after the 50mi.

I'm curious what the coating is for then - storage prior to install?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 100K miles NOKIAN WR G3 20K miles
18,233 Posts
'Cosmolene'?

·
Registered Troublemaker
241 Posts
I may have missed this part the first time reading that - I guess this was the most important part. I suppose I'll wait till after the 50mi.

I'm curious what the coating is for then - storage prior to install?
Plating the whole rotor is easy to do. Masking the front and rear faces costs money.

If it is coated in oil, etc., it's for corrosion prevention (as is the plating, really).

As for bedding in the pads, what does the box your pads came in say (or the little piece of paper that was inside there with instructions...)?

Frankly, you likely don't need to do anything but drive (assuming your rotor is clean), albeit gently at first w/no sudden 60-0 stops...

What you are trying to do is put a transfer layer of pad material on the rotor. Any pad worth putting on your X5 won't 'out gas' as that's been taken care of through factory processes (again, if the company is reputable and you didn't buy some cheap fleabay pads).

GL

·
Resident Curmudgeon
23,290 Posts
cant hurt.

not necessary, in all liklihood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts