BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and I'm new to BMW. I tried using the search tool for this forum, but couldn't quite find what I needed. I have changed brakes before on several different cars, but never on a BMW. I have the 535i Sport and it has the brake wear sensors on it; I have never seen these before so I was curious if these NEED to be replaced when I swap new pads or just simple put back in place with the new pads before resetting the brake service indicator in the car.

also the rotors seem to still be smooth and have only a slight lip, I assume they would not need to be replaced until the next brake change if I don't turn them; is this an absolute no for this car or is it acceptable considering this car is not abused and is just a secondary that maybe goes 20 to 30 miles per week at 35-50 mph.

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,417 Posts
Welcome to the forums. To answer your questions, you don't have to replace them but if you don't the warnings and indicators won't reset. As for the rotors, replacement is normally determined by remaining thickness. Keep in mind these are performance parts, so do you really want to pinch pennies here?
It's also a subject that has been covered in-depth many times. I would also suggest reading the sticky..."so you just bought an e60".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I'll go check the sticky, but maybe you could also answer

i saw on rockauto.com that some of the brake kits come with one replacement sensor and I assumed that I would need 2. Is one all you need or is there one for each wheel?

·
Registered
185 Posts
The calipers are easy to remove with the proper tool. Have a 7MM Hex driver at the ready after removing the plastic dust covers to remove the guide pins.

Also, on the front caliper, the top and bottom caliper guide pins are 2 different lengths. Don't forget to make a mental note which is which when removing them (The longer one is installed on the bottom mount) The 2 rear pins are the same size as the top front pin.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Also don't forget that most likely your phone has a camera and video, you can always take reference pictures and video.
Before tear-down I always will take pics and vids that I can reference if needed upon reassembly.

Then you could also share if someone needs help.

Bud

·
Dinggg....what now!
1,074 Posts
Brake pad wear sensors are on the LH front LH and RH rear.
you don't need to change them if the pads are not worn to the extent that the sensors are touched.
you also can re-use your brake discs with that slight lip and it is ok to turn em if you wish.just make sure the shop has a good lathe and an experienced guy..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx for the replies all.

I didn't already have the 7mm tool so i'll pick that up tomorrow. I have used my phone for reference pics before, but I might store them on my computer from now on so they'll be available. I think the rotors will be fine un-turned, but I had called some of the parts shop to see if they had the lathe because I can turn rotors and it's been a while but i like to do what I can myself. Unfortunately, all the ones I called said they didn't even have one. Do you guys just take them to a shop or is there somewhere you go to turn them yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.