BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
ratskiss
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you see the "Brake Circuit failure" Warning! Fix brake light switch under the brake peddle ASAP. This switch is also connected to the cruise control. I found this out when I braked the car in cruise and the car accelerated. So fix it before driving.

This is the second time I have had to replace my brake light switch. I just want to warn people of this failure. I replaced the switch just after I bought the car three years ago. This time the "Brake light circuit failure" again came on I knew what to fix. I live in the woods so Mail order is the only way to go. I continued to drive the car as the brake lights still worked. Don't do that. I parked until the postal lady came even though the car was fine with the cruise control off.

TIPS
Some folks have suggested smashing the switch to remove the old one. I worry about the fragile bracket the switch is mounted on and bending it. In my experience the easiest way to get the switch out is first start the car. Push the brake peddle down as far as possible and wedge it. Shut the car off. Hang upside down like a bat so you can see the broken switch. You will see the white plunger on the end. Snip this off and the red lock collar will slide off with the push of a screwdriver. Squeeze the locks and the switch will easily slide out. plug in the new one and good to go. Look at the new one for reference.

Hope this helps someone out there.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
30,037 Posts
:thumbup: Welcome to Bimmerfest!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts