BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Michael
2,516 Posts
Whenever you change discs you always change the pads no matter what condition they are, always done as sets. The other thing with dynamic drive is that rear brake pads can wear nearly as quickly as fronts. As has already been said 3 buckled wheels can definitely lead to other issues with the discs, but that said most is down to previous ownership if they have consistently ran the brakes hot with aggressive driving, difficult to tell? That said I know pads and discs are very expensive from BMW, you could still use BMW discs/rotors and pads and get someone to install them save a fortune that way. I would not be disposed to upgrading the discs as BMW are one of the very few manufacturers that actually balance the discs in manufacture. Pads subjective as many like low brake dust etc., which BMW are not!!! A mute point you would be amazed how many ride their brakes when driving and don't even know they are doing it!!

·
Michael
2,516 Posts
Depreciation and VAT will bring down the value of the car, service is what service is on these cars, as for the wheels that depends on why you needed to change them, Brake wise you can buy a set of discs and pads off Ebay, all genuine BMW parts significantly cheaper, and changing them is quite easy if you are mechanically minded. There are plenty of threads to explain how to change them, even the electronic rear brakes. Save yourself a fortune even if you use an independent. That way you will know exactly the condition of your car!

·
Michael
2,516 Posts
In part to answer your averages question, on my 645ci I changed the rotors/discs at 57k miles, I had actually used two sets of pads to one disc, which is about the limit, in fact the second set of pads had not worn out but when you change the disc you have to put new pads in. The rear discs wear more slowly but the pads do not because of dynamic drive. Remember to change the anti squeal springs and the guide pins for new, not much more expensive but make a real difference.
PS just had the discs and pads changed front and rear at 32k miles on my mini cooper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.