BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im wondering if the amount/pattern of break dust on the rims shows how a person drives. I tried to figure this out myself, but I couldnt see any dramatic difference. Im guessing the more dust you have, that means you drive faster and brake harder. Do you guys think this is true? Also, ive noticed on other peoples rims that the dust isnt evenly spread out, its darker in some areas and has little blotches.

Thanks in advance guys.

G

·
Too many variables. Mostly, the guys who drive fast also wash their cars often. It's the putzes who let the brake dust build up for weeks and months.

·
Traffic Surgeon
2,317 Posts
Yup, I agree with TD. I'd bet it's the guys/gals that don't wash their cars often that have the most break dust. I wash mine about once a week, needed or not. I don't try to set land speed records, but I'm no codger either...

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Someone once told me (an instructor in driving school class) that if you brake late and hard, you use the brakes for less time and cause less friction and wear from "riding" them by not using their full potential - and get less brake dust. Assuming he's right, I guess I have to agree with Nate. Just not b/c fast drivers also seem to be anal about car care.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
rwg said:
Someone once told me (an instructor in driving school class) that if you brake late and hard, you use the brakes for less time and cause less friction and wear from "riding" them by not using their full potential - and get less brake dust. Assuming he's right, I guess I have to agree with Nate. Just not b/c fast drivers also seem to be anal about car care.
But don't you apply more pressure on the brakes when you brake late ?

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
rwg said:
Exactly...

The harder my car is driven, the less dust there is. Less time on the brakes. Period. My rims had less dust on them after two track days than regular driving (not my street driving ;))

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
Ripsnort said:
I can see the "I've been rear ended because I braked late" posts coming soon :lmao:
I've been rear ended twice ;)

Once was stopped at a light, the other was after slowing becasue traffic stopped at a highway underpass :thumbdwn:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts