BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many thanks to all for the suggestions regarding my problem with brake dust that I could not remove from my 2008 535xi-it ends up that nothing I used was able to remove it........After visiting the BMW dealer this weekend, they could not remove it through their cleaners etc....so the end result is I left my car this morning and their "wheel guy" had to take the front wheels off of my car and "redo" them (I think this means repaint, but I am not sure)...the charge was $275 for both wheels.......I have had the car since October and granted I did not do a great job removing the dust each week, but quite frankly I've never had a problem like this...it doesn't make sense to me that the brake dust would be so "baked " on that it could not be removed.......has anybody ever encountered this problem?...the dealer has been very cooperative, but I am thinking of going to BMW and asking them to cover this.......

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I wouldn't count on BMW covering this but this is what I use to protect my wheels from day 1. It has always worked like a charm and my wheels just wash clean with a hose most of the time.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I had my 2008 535i for not much more than a month and I was already fighting the brake dust problem. I broke down and installed a set of AXXIS Advanced Deluxe pads all around, and cleaned my wheels when they were off the car for the brake job. I applied a polymer sealant (RejeX) to all wheels and now the wheels are staying clean. The pads are low dust, and a quick cleaning every few weeks with mild soap and water brings the wheels right back to showroom condition.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I wouldn't count on BMW covering this but this is what I use to protect my wheels from day 1. It has always worked like a charm and my wheels just wash clean with a hose most of the time.
Bill, I agree that it probably works fine at making them easy to clean but the point is that the rims still get dirty. Axxis pads, my friend. Axxis pads.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Many thanks to all for the suggestions regarding my problem with brake dust that I could not remove from my 2008 535xi-it ends up that nothing I used was able to remove it........After visiting the BMW dealer this weekend, they could not remove it through their cleaners etc....so the end result is I left my car this morning and their "wheel guy" had to take the front wheels off of my car and "redo" them (I think this means repaint, but I am not sure)...the charge was $275 for both wheels.......I have had the car since October and granted I did not do a great job removing the dust each week, but quite frankly I've never had a problem like this...it doesn't make sense to me that the brake dust would be so "baked " on that it could not be removed.......has anybody ever encountered this problem?...the dealer has been very cooperative, but I am thinking of going to BMW and asking them to cover this.......
Did you try my suggestion of using bug & tar remover with an old credit card (I posted info in the detailing section if you want to search)?

If they haven't started on the wheels, I'd suggest telling them to hold off and try this. Otherwise they're just going to paint your wheels, which will never be as durable a finish as you had.

Also, RejeX applied after getting them clean will make future cleaning easier.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Bill, I agree that it probably works fine at making them easy to clean but the point is that the rims still get dirty. Axxis pads, my friend. Axxis pads.
I'll keep the stock pads thanks!! My wheels wash up with a hose when I was the car so it's not an issue for me.

·
racer wannabe
3,311 Posts
I had my 2008 535i for not much more than a month and I was already fighting the brake dust problem. I broke down and installed a set of AXXIS Advanced Deluxe pads all around, and cleaned my wheels when they were off the car for the brake job. I applied a polymer sealant (RejeX) to all wheels and now the wheels are staying clean. The pads are low dust, and a quick cleaning every few weeks with mild soap and water brings the wheels right back to showroom condition.
I have Axxis Deluxe Plus pads on my 325i and they really took care of brake dust issue and are really durable as a bonus but the initial bite is not as good as OEM pads. I adjusted my driving accordingly but would hate to lose the performance of the OEM pads on 535i so my question is how do Axxis pads compare to OEM pads? Do they require more pedal pressure? How's the initial bite, how's the cold bite?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you try my suggestion of using bug & tar remover with an old credit card (I posted info in the detailing section if you want to search)?

If they haven't started on the wheels, I'd suggest telling them to hold off and try this. Otherwise they're just going to paint your wheels, which will never be as durable a finish as you had.

Also, RejeX applied after getting them clean will make future cleaning easier.
Stream, I did try that and it did a little better then the other cleaners, but there was still a lot of residual stuff left. I did buy the rejex and I am going to use it religiously in the future.........thanks!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Stream, I did try that and it did a little better then the other cleaners, but there was still a lot of residual stuff left. I did buy the rejex and I am going to use it religiously in the future.........thanks!
Wow--very strange. When i used the bug & tar remover, and used an old credit card at a 45 degree angle to scrape it off, my wheels were smooth as silk.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I have Axxis Deluxe Plus pads on my 325i and they really took care of brake dust issue and are really durable as a bonus but the initial bite is not as good as OEM pads. I adjusted my driving accordingly but would hate to lose the performance of the OEM pads on 535i so my question is how do Axxis pads compare to OEM pads? Do they require more pedal pressure? How's the initial bite, how's the cold bite?
I think you answered your own question. Axxis pads don't bite as well as stock. Less dust yes, less bite, yes. I'll clean my wheels more often in exchange for better bite all the way around. :) BTW CUTE baby in Avitar photo!! Is that Ayrton Senna in your sig photo??

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow--very strange. When i used the bug & tar remover, and used an old credit card at a 45 degree angle to scrape it off, my wheels were smooth as silk.
Stream, can you put this in context for me, ie how long was the brake dust on your wheels before you had a "problem".......?

·
racer wannabe
3,311 Posts
I think you answered your own question. Axxis pads don't bite as well as stock. Less dust yes, less bite, yes. I'll clean my wheels more often in exchange for better bite all the way around. :) BTW CUTE baby in Avitar photo!! Is that Ayrton Senna in your sig photo??
Yeah, I checked Zeckhausen Racing website and it seems like the AXXIS Advanced Deluxe pads are the same as Deluxe Plus, just a name change so I won't use them on a new car.

That's my daughter in the avatar, thanks for the compliments! ;)

... and it's indeed Senna in the sig, good catch :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Stream, can you put this in context for me, ie how long was the brake dust on your wheels before you had a "problem".......?
I usually clean my wheels with a California duster weekly, and the car gets washed about once a month (it hardly ever rains here).

How often does your car get washed, and the wheels cleaned in between?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I usually clean my wheels with a California duster weekly, and the car gets washed about once a month (it hardly ever rains here).

How often does your car get washed, and the wheels cleaned in between?
Here in NJ I wash my car at least once a week, sometimes more....I am not as good with the wheels....probably more then a month since I used a wheel cleaner.......but the more I think about this, the more pissed I am getting.....I've owned many many cars over the years, some high end ones and never had a problem like this.....can you direct me to contact info for a BMW rep.........?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Here in NJ I wash my car at least once a week, sometimes more....I am not as good with the wheels....probably more then a month since I used a wheel cleaner.......but the more I think about this, the more pissed I am getting.....I've owned many many cars over the years, some high end ones and never had a problem like this.....can you direct me to contact info for a BMW rep.........?
Sorry, can't help you with BMW contact info.

I use a wheel brush I got at Pep Boys for under $10--has a big blue brush with a relatively short, contoured handle, and let's you get some scrubbing power.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I took delivery friday of my E61 and within 30 mins driving my rims were filthy...but mostly the first 2-3 insches near the tires........the polish they spray on to the tires to give them a shiny black look obviously took uo residence on my rims as well..... it is super slick&greasy at the same time....the power wash wouldnt move it....

so I took BMW rim cleaner and spent 30 mins removing the stuff and rinsed....

hey presto massive improvement !!

will be using rim wax in the future....thanks for the heads up on that one.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Yeah, I checked Zeckhausen Racing website and it seems like the AXXIS Advanced Deluxe pads are the same as Deluxe Plus, just a name change so I won't use them on a new car.

That's my daughter in the avatar, thanks for the compliments! ;)

... and it's indeed Senna in the sig, good catch :thumbup:
It's those eyes man... those eyes. To see him drive was a thing of beauty; he knew how the car was going to respond before it did. His passing was a tremendous loss to all of motorsport. I worked for American Honda during the McLaren-Honda days in the late 80's and met both him and Alain Prost once. He and Prost were a study in opposites. Prost was bold and brash, almost rude, Senna, quiet, polite and calculating to the end. The event I was at had a bevy of drivers from all branches of European motorsport; I also met Nigel Mansell, Gerhard Berger and Ivan Capelli. I tended to gravitate towards the F1 platform though. Remember the Honda RA168E V6 F1 motor? 700hp (or more) @ 14,000 RPM and to hear that motor was an aural pleasure that is almost indescribable. How old is your daughter? I have 17 month old twin girls so I know the drill. :D

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I took delivery friday of my E61 and within 30 mins driving my rims were filthy...but mostly the first 2-3 insches near the tires........the polish they spray on to the tires to give them a shiny black look obviously took uo residence on my rims as well..... it is super slick&greasy at the same time....the power wash wouldnt move it....

so I took BMW rim cleaner and spent 30 mins removing the stuff and rinsed....

hey presto massive improvement !!

will be using rim wax in the future....thanks for the heads up on that one.
I'm jealous of the M Sport package. Not available in the US as a "package" but can be purchased as parts but was way too expensive for me. Nice ride!!

·
racer wannabe
3,311 Posts
It's those eyes man... those eyes. To see him drive was a thing of beauty; he knew how the car was going to respond before it did. His passing was a tremendous loss to all of motorsport. I worked for American Honda during the McLaren-Honda days in the late 80's and met both him and Alain Prost once. He and Prost were a study in opposites. Prost was bold and brash, almost rude, Senna, quiet, polite and calculating to the end. The event I was at had a bevy of drivers from all branches of European motorsport; I also met Nigel Mansell, Gerhard Berger and Ivan Capelli. I tended to gravitate towards the F1 platform though. Remember the Honda RA168E V6 F1 motor? 700hp (or more) @ 14,000 RPM and to hear that motor was an aural pleasure that is almost indescribable. How old is your daughter? I have 17 month old twin girls so I know the drill. :D
That's a great story. I've seen many off track videos of Senna and he seemed exactly how you described him. Ayrton and Jim Clark were the best drivers, period.

She'll be 14 month old at the end of May, I also have almost 3 year old boy that already loves cars and can recognize bimmers from a distance. :D

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
That's a great story. I've seen many off track videos of Senna and he seemed exactly how you described him. Ayrton and Jim Clark were the best drivers, period.

She'll be 14 month old at the end of May, I also have almost 3 year old boy that already loves cars and can recognize bimmers from a distance. :D
Cool... My girls are 17 months and I am stressing the three very important letters in the alphabet... B M W. Senna must have been an awesome poker player because it was impossible to read his facial expressions.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts