BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple months ago I replaced my brake discs and pads with EBC items (OEM equivalent discs and Green Stuff pads). The primary reasons for the change to EBC is to improve braking power and also less brake dust as advertised. Braking power has improved slightly but the brake dust that is being generated is far more than when I was using OEM parts. Has anyone experienced this increased brake dust when using Green Stuff pads. I’m just disappointed that brake dust has become an issue, especially when it was claimed that brake dust would be less when compared to using OEM items.

·
ELmO
362 Posts
MORE brake dust than OEM? How this possible? After I wash my rims I get brake dust after a 30 minute drive, and significant brake dust after a day of going to work and back.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Akebono ceramics ofer what you want as do the Hawk pads. Better braking and far less dust. Have the Hawks on mine and no dust for about a week or so and nothing "noticeable for 2 - 3 weeks.

Akebono wasn't available when I replced with the Hawk but i hear they are a bit better than the Hawk.

I also heard the Green Stuff pads actually smell bad. Have you noticed that as well?

Make the change. It is definitely worth it, especialy when the weather gets cold and you have to think about cleaning wheels...although I don't know where Brunei is??

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mohegan29 said:
Akebono ceramics ofer what you want as do the Hawk pads. Better braking and far less dust. Have the Hawks on mine and no dust for about a week or so and nothing "noticeable for 2 - 3 weeks.

Akebono wasn't available when I replced with the Hawk but i hear they are a bit better than the Hawk.

I also heard the Green Stuff pads actually smell bad. Have you noticed that as well?

Make the change. It is definitely worth it, especialy when the weather gets cold and you have to think about cleaning wheels...although I don't know where Brunei is??
Performance aftermarket items for BMW are hard to get in Brunei (Borneo, South East Asia, summer all year round...almost) so that's part of the reason why I chose EBC brakes. Within a week of driving I have significant brake dust so my old toothbrush is working overtime. I did see improved braking but because I replaced the brake fluid, bled the system and installed Goodridge SS lines, the extra performance could come from there. Since I don't track, probably I will revert back to OEM when I wear out the pads :( . I did not notice if my pads stinks, that's probably because I was paying so much attention to my toothbrush but I'll keep my nose up.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mohegan29 said:
Forgot to add...make sure you seat the brakes exactly like they recommend (should be instructions on the box). Easy to do, but make sure you do it to avoid squealing and glazing on them when new.
the mechanic did the job for me, he's pretty competent so i hope he did a decent job. i did notice a bit of squealing initially but after performing some 'bedding' of the brakes, the squealing is gone but the brake dust just keeps on piling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.