BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, I have a problem I've never dealt with, and I'm stuck!

Yesterday I went to bleed the brake lines on my 88 325ic - first time I've bled the brakes on this e30 since I bought it. Old fluid was really bad.

Started to bleed right rear, everything started ok then flow stopped. I'll skip all the intermediate details, but I ended up pulling off both rear calipers and bleeding all around including the clutch slave cylinder.

Here's the problem - I still can't get fluid to flow out of the right rear. My belief is the pressure reducer for the rear brakes is gunked up. I tried to remove it, but can't. I can blow air backwards through the reducer to the left rear (kept the line off the caliper not to gunk it up), but I can't get fluid to flow back through it to the right rear. I have cycled through this a few times with the same result.

Two questions: 1) Any tips or trick on how to get that pressure reducer out? It is tucked up above the drive shaft right in front of the differential and even generous doses of penetrating spray and some bruised knuckles are getting no where

2) Any other suggestions on what to try if I can't get the reducer out?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
brake problem solved

Thanks for the idea, you were almost on the money. One of the flex hoses was clogged. I ran some solid 16 gauge wire through it. Still not sure why I was able to blow air through in both directions, but who knows...problem solved.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
31,082 Posts
I wouldn't trust it. Did you push some actual blockage out? Was it rust/dirt, or deteriorated rubber? Those lines break down internally and can still block passage of the brake fluid at any time.

·
Old School
4,123 Posts
+1. The fact you could get air through it but not fluid is alarm bells !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.